"Black Widow" Spiderman WIP

Iracel

Alright, It's me, Iracel again. :D Some of you may be familiar with my custom Superior+Edge of Time+Amazing Spiderman build. Made totally from scratch and such. It looked like this.

pUmZtVy.png

To see the thread, here's the link: http://www.therpf.com/f78/superior-edge-time-amazing-spider-man-costume-made-scratch-190468/

I am actually still working on that costume. Ive decided to make it red and blue, so I'll either update that thread when its done, or this one. Now, to the main part. This costume is going to be awesome. #Dope. #Besthomemadespandexcostumeevar #Itshardnottypingspaceswhiledoinghashtags

So, this is the "black widow" spiderman costume. Part of the reason why I'm making the other costume red and blue is because this costume will be red and black. But what I learned from the last one is that I should use black fabric instead of grey. I thought if I painted the grey fabric with black spray paint then I could still make it black, but it didn't turn out that black. This time, I'm using pitch black fabric and will pray the highlights of the muscle shading on with light grey. Maybe white, since it probably won't show up just as white as the paint actually is. It will be risk, cuz I want this to be the last Spiderman costume I make. I'd love to branch out to an assassins creed costume. Maybe a Batman costume, if I have a 3D printer available to me.

My Goals for this Costume:

• Make It Very Intimidating. (That was my goal for the last one, but it didn't work out too well in my opinion. Adults told me it was good enough, but thats because they don't want me spending more of my time on costumes I think. xD)
  • Make Me Look More Spider- Like. (Specifically, like a black widow\
  • Make It Functional. (I want it to look good, but I also want to be able to do gymnastic/breakdance maneuvers in. That will be awesome for conventions. I also want it to be waterproof.)
  • Make It Unique. (What is nice about my last costume is that its specifically my own. There are no other spiderman costumes like it. I actually have people trying to duplicate it. Good luck to them. -.-
  • Accent My Figure. (I got a lot of compliments on my butt in the last costume. xD I want this one to emphasize my body. Make it look more like a comic book characters.)

These are pictures of my stitching design for the costume.

NfX0l4v.jpg

VIDd7GB.jpg

zJTRfNh.jpg

MzZ7SeO.jpg

Now here's my original complete design for the costume:

cSTOFeS.jpg

But I ended up changing it to this:

nUwFfZQ.jpg

Notice a Difference? In the Second one, the Spider Goes across the shoulders. This makes the shoulders look more broad, and makes this costume even more reminiscent of the newest Superior Spiderman costume. Maybe this is like my superior+edge of time+amazing spiderman costume v.2 xD But Black Widow sounds cooler. I just worry that I won't have as much shoulder mobility if the urethane legs have to go around my shoulders, so I plan to segment the legs so there's stretching space inbetween the legs. And there will be muscle shading, I just didn't draw it. Same with the puff paint of course.

I've Started the Webshooters. Not much to say there. I wanted them to look more like spiders. I had a bag of gears I wanted to glue to them, but I can't find it right now. It's somewhere.

3hVDpoJ.jpg

For the Zipper on the Back of the costume, I'm a bit wary of doing a U zipper again. On the last costume, it was hard to pull the costume up, since the u zipper restricted half of the waist from stretching over my butt. I couldnt really pull off the zipper going from the neck down to the side, as seen in the amazing spiderman movie.

4ftB5ff.png

You can see where the zipper goes from the neck down the middle of the red and blue. I made the measurements on this costume larger, since I will be growing. I'm only 16 after all. But the waist needs to stay small, so that it is tight and thus accents the actual shape of my body. Speaking of which, I do regularly exercise, (twice a day, generally) and to add even more incentive to this costume for me, I plan to change some things up to emphasize my legs. Make them more muscular and shapely. It will make gymnastics a bit harder, but Spiderman's most prominent body parts are his legs and abs. Wider shoulders, bigger legs, and slimmer waist. I'm not one to exercise for physical appearance, but it will be necessary to get the most out of this costume.

I will Post more about the actual costume tomorrow, along with pics of me in it. This is gonna be supah exciting. :D

Last edited:
Hmmm...good luck. How about a spider backpack with the spider arms...I know, maybe a little too ambitious for ME...but for you, seems totally doable.

The stitching is done! I'm really busy working on the costume, but I'll post up details soon. I doubt I'm disappointing anyone. xD Here are the pictures.

qASMVXq.jpg

3aMbYew.jpg

5Ystu3D.jpg

03OheW3.jpg

Subscribed. Love it. Very exciting.

Couple things, though.
1. The zipper in that screen-cap from The Amazing Spider-Man was only to get the actor's head through the neck of the removable mask version of the costume (most of the suits had an attached mask with that same zipper allowing it to be dropped forward like a reverse hood). That suit (and all of the other suits in that film) still used a U-zip pattern for getting into and out of the suit.
It's a moot point now, of course, since you're done with the stitching, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Your zip solution is very cool.

2. I actually think that the first design concept (without the legs going across the shoulders) accomplishes your stated goal of accentuating the width of your shoulders better than the updated design concept. It allows the whole muscle group of your deltoid to be seen as a visually contiguous unit, which gives a bigger apparent size in contrast to the black nearby. The second concept with the shoulder legs cuts across that muscle group, lessening its visual impact. The horizontal line is dynamic, sure, but the horizontal emphasis has already been accomplished by the border between the red and black that flows across your chest.

Also, the second concept invites comparisons to Spider-Girl's costume, which has the shoulder spiders mimicking the line of a strapless evening gown.
It's, well, less masculine-looking than the first design.
238295-5687-spider-girl.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, Lunaman. :D That's a good point. When I looked at it, i thought the spiders legs going across the shoulders cause the eye to be drawn outwards. It's not too late, obviously. I have yet to plan out the spider and cut it. I will draw up a comparison picture we can look at. :p
Here, the superior spiderman costume has the legs that go across the shoulders. But I definitely want this to be a masculine costume.
ku-xlarge.jpg

Also, dang. They used a U zipper still? Because I did not, and it is definitely too late now. I appreciate the help and interest :D

I appreciate the help and interest :D
You're welcome, I love your work on your last suit, and this one's shaping up to be mega awesome.

Also, dang. They used a U zipper still? Because I did not, and it is definitely too late now.
Yea, they did. Andrew complained a lot about having to get in through the 'cat flap', which is why they changed to zipper orientation on the amazing spider-man 2 suit.
Kinda hard to see here, I know there's better photos of him half out of the costume, but you can see a bit of the back flap and arms hanging down in this shot, bit more noticeable on William Spencer in the background.
spider-man-set-3.jpg

Thanks, Lunaman. :D That's a good point. When I looked at it, i thought the spiders legs going across the shoulders cause the eye to be drawn outwards. It's not too late, obviously. I have yet to plan out the spider and cut it. I will draw up a comparison picture we can look at. :p
Here, the superior spiderman costume has the legs that go across the shoulders. But I definitely want this to be a masculine costume.
View attachment 258967
Yea, the superior spider-man costume has the shoulder legs, but they jog up and then angle down, instead of just hugging the shoulders horizontally, taking a long line instead of a short one. If the line just cuts across it looks a bit like it's...cut across.
By the way, I think both of the designs look really cool, it's just that the second one feels more reminiscent of Spider-Girl than Superior Spider-man, which probably wasn't what you were aiming for. Those lines on the top legs are just very reminiscent of feminine clothing lines, like gowns and bra-straps and halter tops.

This is obviously only a small nitpick on an awesome design, I just think it's important enough to consider for a bit. With your first design take, the spider has echos of BenReilly and Superior, which I really like. The second design is unique and cool, it just doesn't look as intimidating or athletic to me.

Okay. So, here's the rundown. The jiggy. The shimshaw of the costume. The back zipper is sooo invisible. It's it is definately the most impressive part of this costume. xD Before Lunaman informed me on the actual functionality of the amazing spiderman costume, I thought the zipper went down the neck, inbetween the red and blue, then down the side of the back. So that's what I did for my costume. Its insanely hard to zip up. It takes a miniature contortionist act by yours truly, but man it looks good. It's better than the U zipper because of the whole butt probelm.

immBptQ.jpg

I also added invisible leg zippers, arm zippers, and a crotch zipper.

6wt3zQc.jpg

I bought the Superior Spiderman frames from none other than TJack. I decked them out with amazing spiderman lenses. I liked the look, but on the mask it just doesn't do it for me. I also wanted to have bright red around the web lines, so that they're even more emphasized. The mask is no where near done, of course. The lenses aren't even fully applied on to the mask, because I'm waiting for my E6000 to come. My urethane sheets, defogging spray, and that glue which people recommended to me. Gorilla glue just doesn't cut it, so hopefully E6000 will keep urethane bonded to the costume permanently. I've just been kinda laying out the muscle shading with silver sharpie. I plan to buy darkish grey maybe light grey spray paint to really get the muscle shading right.

Here is the mask, as it is in its current, unfinished state.

TWkvR7p.jpg

jFeSLKs.jpg

And also, here are my hastily drawn designs for the chest spider. Which one?

9mLxfif.jpg

Last edited:
Looking sharp! But you got it backwards- superior frames with asm lenses :p

This is one of the best custom suits I've seen. Personally I like # 1 or 4

Looking great Iracel, loved your last build, and this one looks even better man, sweet design. Subscribed dude. Personally I like the spider design on #4.

Loving it. I like options 1 and 4 with regards to spiders.

With the eyes, it might be worth it to make a mold of your face so that you can re-heat the lenses and get them to bend to the exact curve that you need for them to lie close to your face in the positions you want, I remember the eye's curve and placement being a big point of contention for you on your previous build that required a few adjustments before the end. It's a lot easier to get them to look good when they have a curve that matches the surface precisely. I know another forum member got a decent facemold with a simple aluminum foil impression that was later backed up with clay mache. Heck, you could even sculpt a custom faceshell for yourself to wear under the mask if you want even more control over the profile and the position of the eyes.
What are you planning to do differently with the lenses since they "just don't do it for you"? I think the gold looks very cool with the swoopy eye.

Loving it. I like options 1 and 4 with regards to spiders.

With the eyes, it might be worth it to make a mold of your face so that you can re-heat the lenses and get them to bend to the exact curve that you need for them to lie close to your face in the positions you want, I remember the eye's curve and placement being a big point of contention for you on your previous build that required a few adjustments before the end. It's a lot easier to get them to look good when they have a curve that matches the surface precisely. I know another forum member got a decent facemold with a simple aluminum foil impression that was later backed up with clay mache. Heck, you could even sculpt a custom faceshell for yourself to wear under the mask if you want even more control over the profile and the position of the eyes.
What are you planning to do differently with the lenses since they "just don't do it for you"? I think the gold looks very cool with the swoopy eye.

Right now Iv'e re-positioned them so that they are closer to the nost and further down the face. I believe that once I fully glue them onto the mask with E6000 (Cuz again, gorilla glue ain't that great) It will cause the fabric of the mask to properly pull them down. The bottoms of the lenses aren't really glued down to the mask. Once they are, then the bottoms won't flare up, causing the face to look wider. In that superior spiderman picture that's just how the lenses are. I think once I finish the red and such on the mask, and the lenses are pointed downwards more (not from the front but from the bottom) It will look much better. I don't like the idea of wearing a faceshell. :/ It's nice just being able to put the mask on

Also, Looks like I'm going with #4! Lots of people agreed on that one, and that was my personal choice as well.

Last edited:
Also, Looks like I'm going with #4! Lots of people agreed on that one, and that was my personal choice as well.
Cool! It's gonna be great!

Right now Iv'e re-positioned them so that they are closer to the nost and further down the face. I believe that once I fully glue them onto the mask with E6000 (Cuz again, gorilla glue ain't that great) It will cause the fabric of the mask to properly pull them down. The bottoms of the lenses aren't really glued down to the mask. Once they are, then the bottoms won't flare up, causing the face to look wider. In that superior spiderman picture that's just how the lenses are. I think once I finish the red and such on the mask, and the lenses are pointed downwards more (not from the front but from the bottom) It will look much better.

1). I wouldn't use E6000 for the eyes, it's goopy and it has a LONG set-up time. You want something thin, low viscosity, with a fast drying time, like Cyanoacrylate glue.

2.) Naw, man, I'm gonna press you on this here, but it's out of love. Gluing down the frames with their current curve will not solve your issue. The eyes are making your face look wider because they are bent on a different curve than your face. If they have a proper curve, they CAN'T make your face wider. If you want them to look sleek like your drawing, you need to re-do the curve.
Look at this example, the eyes on your previous suit's mask, followed by the eyes on my previous suit's mask (again, just to make this point about the way the eyes work, not meaning to invite any other comparisons).
These are the SAME exact eye frames by the SAME exact maker, and they even have very similar placement, location, and distance at the nose.

Rp0d6sV.jpg

wFDrlBd.jpg

5ioFbXc.jpg

LcPLFnU.jpg

So why, then, did your frames widen the mask and face and lift up from the fabric, whereas mine stayed down flat all around and kept a narrow and sleek profile?
It's not because of the glue type or strength pulling them down; I used regular old 'Crazy Glue' to attach my eyes.

The difference is that your eye frames had a simple curve along one axis, whereas my eye frames had a compound curve, that more closely approximates part of the surface of a large sphere instead of part of the surface of a cylinder...
I molded my frames using a faceshell that closely matches the contours of my own face and curves gently in all outward directions as you move away from the center. That's the kind of curve your eyes need if you want them to match the sleekness of your design.
You can place them steeper or shallower or closer, or further apart, but they still need to have that kind of curve regardless of their location.
Sj553JS.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back