Feathered Velociraptor Costume (Zoo Tycoon 2)

It was definitely some crazy luck--we should get them sometime next week. I can't believe we were able to get it. I have a TON of pictures (like 50) but I don't have time to upload them. I literally have been working 10 hours a day on it, only taking breaks to sleep and eat. Perks of being homeschooled I guess, haha.

EDIT: To elaborate a bit more, the head is done and scaled, teeth and tongue are done, still need to do the gums. Currently finishing the thing to put it on my head, (made from a sonotube, the concrete base things that are like crazy strong cardboard) and then I have to get the jaw moving mechanism done, install the fan, get the fabric sewn and glued (has to be tight around the scales) and then airbrushed and feathered and eyes and AHH. 14 days holy crap i'm getting like no sleep
cannot wait for this thing to be done :p

Can you show a picture of the jaw mechanism? I am planning on adding one on my next costume, and it would really help me out if I could see how you are making yours.

I'm going to try and document that process the best I can so I'll share whatever I have. I *plan* to make a full out tutorial on it but I'm not for sure if I'll get to. So, maybe, hopefully! :p I also hope this weekend to get the pictures off my camera and share a few of them.

Last edited:
...I think you should get credit for this. I mean seriously, elective credit or something. Between the design, the mechanics, the engineering... Just wow. I mean, the most exciting thing I ever did in graphic design was silk-screening.

Okay, took ages but I got all 80 pictures off my camera...just gonna show you a few though obviously.

DSCN3934.JPG
here's the head after we made the halves (three for the top, two for the bottom) and then used this special glue to affix them together, and then for the top one we fiberglassed the inside so they'd be even stronger. I added ModelMagic (worked perfect) to the jawline so it closes together all the way. It did on my sculpt, but not on the finished piece.
DSCN3946.JPG
(the teeth were glued just so I could make them and be sure the mouth would still close and to figure out where they fit together)
The scales look ridiculous like that too haha but on my test I think they look pretty great--I could probably do an even more detailed effect with them but I think they'll be really neat. They FEEL really neat especially. The teeth and tongue got painted today as well.
DSCN3942.JPG
DSCN3950.JPG
Here's what we're working on to hold the head--they'll be fiberglassed together and it'll sit on my shoulders rather than the top of the head. It's very strong and durable. The fan will be put inside too.

DSCN3960.JPG
Painted the head all one color so it won't show through fabric (it wouldn't anyway, the green foam doesn't, but eh) and the inside of the mouth will be painted pink as well.

The first head turned out to be way too heavy--I couldn't wear it for more than a minute at a time and I could hardly move in it. We're making another currently but I haven't been taking any pictures at all because of 6 days left & all.

Freaking out with MegaCon so close. Hopefully we'll make the deadline, but maybe not. I probably won't be able to post again so I will say this:

if the raptor is done in time, i'll be wearing it on Saturday and Sunday. I'll be with my mum in sister who will be dressed in black suits (think MIB) sort of to help handle me. :p On Saturday we should be roaming halls/taking pictures/hanging out with my close friends most of the time aside from 1:30 for a photo shoot, 2:20 for a panel and 4:30-?? for the costume contest. On Sunday all I know we'll be doing is the Wil Wheaton panel, but I'll still be in the raptor.

Our second head is far too heavy as well (paper mache, even!) so we're halting this project for two weeks. I'll be updating progress with pictures and info during that time, but I'll still be at MegaCon. Just not in the raptor.

Aw man! I'm sorry you're not gonna get to wear the costume at MegaCon; that said, I think you're right to make sure you're getting the head light enough, or you're gonna kill your neck/back.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed but I'm still glad to have such amazing parents who just want a break from it before we start at it again. Right now we're looking at some kind of backpack set up (not my preferred method tbh) or maybe making it from the insulation foam and nothing else? Dunno. Lots of brainstorming to do, but this way it can be perfect by MegaCon next year. Just have to hope I don't grow any before then. :p

DSCN3970.JPG

Here was the first head--we used a sonotube sort of thing to keep it on my head and it went on my shoulders. We tried some padding but it still dug in big time. The head was fleeced + resin'd and it was wayyyy too heavy. We still have it outside...might make it into a kickass speaker. Or a lamp. Or something.

DSCN4001.JPG

Here's a picture of the second head...we just paper mache'd right over the clay sculpture in pieces exactly like we did the fiberglass one. It was probably plenty light until all the layers of modpodge and plasti-dip. It was also scaled, but it was too heavy. Dug into my skull. :p

DSCN4011.JPG

DSCN4018.JPG

Cruddy picture, sorry about that, in a hurry because I have to start packing for leaving tomorrow for the con. We did start gluing feathers but we figured out they're too fragile for the end of the tail--I kind of knew it but I didn't want to believe it--so they won't be on the tail when it's all done. Gotta rip them off and sew the fabric back down. :/

How much trouble would it be to sacrifice your first version head and hollow it out some? Is it a solid piece or already hollow?

I cant imagine the resin/fleece causing too much weight especially if it's in a layer or two on top of what's in the photos.

It's completely hollow. It's kind of huge, so it weighs a lot. Monoyasha's head weighed under 2 lbs. before she installed whatever she did to put it on Elizabeth's head (buyer). I haven't weighed it, but my guess is that it weighs something close to my pug...who is just under 30 lbs. Maybe if I get a spare chance I'll weigh the two heads before we leave tomorrow.

Welp I'm terrible at guessing weight I'll tell you that. :p

The first head weighs 9.5 lbs. The second one is 6.5 lbs. According to the internet, the head shouldn't support more than 6 lbs. on it, and that's not even talking comfortably for a day at a con. Ideally it would be under 4 lbs. but I don't know just how light we can get it. I'm going to do more research when I return, see if I can get more info out of others who have made raptor/extended neck costumes, but for now I really need to get to packing.

MegaCon was absolutely amazing and I had a blast, but the raptor was definitely lingering in my mind the whole time. Saturday was the biggest crowd I have ever been in--it was gridlocked nearly everywhere the entire time. I can't wait to get back working on the costume again. :)

We're still brainstorming ideas on the head...want to do a rigid foam head from Foam It! 3 from Smooth On but latex for the mold would be crazy pricey for that much. We're afraid a paper mache mold would expand WITH the foam...also considering carving it out of Owens Insulation foam but I really want to avoid that. I also still need to update the blog page, haha, maybe this weekend I'll get started on that...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back