Feathered Velociraptor Costume (Zoo Tycoon 2)

Last evening for the head until it's done probably! I'm just fixing the jawline so it matches up a bit more and then the sculpt will be done, I feel.

Haha...just finished up for the evening and I'm still not done. I need like a half pound more of clay so I'm just kind of scraping it off where it's unnecessary and putting it where it needs to be. ;\

Last edited:
DSCN3719.JPGDSCN3720.JPGDSCN3731.JPGDSCN3729.JPG
DSCN3722.JPGDSCN3727.JPGDSCN3725.JPGDSCN3724.JPG
DSCN3723.JPGDSCN3726.JPGDSCN3732.JPGDSCN3733.JPG

Lots of pictures! More at the webpage too. Added torso foam, stuffing to places on the suit, and finished sculpting the head aside from smoothing. Took all nine seasons of The Office to sculpt that head, plus the end of whatever I was watching before that. haha.

It looks a lot better with the eye in the socket but I forgot to put it in before I took photos.

The first claw is outside curing and I'm finishing up the last foam toe (the one the claw is curing for!) and then the body will get patterned since we've got duct tape now.

I use acrylic paints thinned down with water for my airbrush. I was told to thin the paints to the consistency of milk.They are just easier to find. You just have to clean the airbrush soon as you finish using it.
So far all my airbrushes are breaking so I may not be the be person to listen to... :confused

Oh wow, that's so cool! Thank you. :D

DSCN3785.JPGDSCN3786.JPGDSCN3787.JPGDSCN3791.JPGDSCN3793.JPGDSCN3794.JPGDSCN3797.JPGDSCN3798.JPG

I finished casting both of the claws and they came out great--the mold had imperfections but I think it looks more realistic that way so I'm okay with it. Also wrapped the entire body in the duct tape and we're finishing up sewing the bodysuit (although I don't really have a good picture of it on the body yet).

Is there any worry of suffocation with the duct tape wrap? I hear six of one, half a dozen of another kinds of stories sealing one's body up in non breathable material for an extended period of time.

Unless duct tape breathes or you're using it as a pattern, then disregard. I cant imagine not sweating buckets in that though.

I did a duct tape dummy, which was fine and I survived that. it was uncomfortable but I wasn't in it for more than an hour. All the duct tape was cut off the dummy and used as a pattern--no way would I wear a complete duct tape suit like that. I'd probably overheat within an hour. :p

EDIT: These are two separate occasions, I mean. The first thing I did for this costume was the dummy, then now I wrapped the foam-covered bodysuit in the duct tape to create the pattern.

Whew. I see where you're going with it!

I've been wanting a duct tape dummy for quite some time now; I just dont have any help to get one done.

The dummy was really easy and quick, and it's come in real handy even though I have myself to try it on, it's nice to put it on something and be able to work. But you definitely need help to make it, for sure.

Today we went out and talked to some boat professionals about making the head, and we're going to start on it this week!

I'll try to log the progress and take as many pictures as I can. 38 more days.

We have to get some wax to put on the head and also have to wait until Monday to call the business so right now not much is going on. I finished the raptor bottoms and we had the holes drilled in the claws but right now we're waiting until we have the money for the wax.

Also, airbrush paints were ordered! And the feathers.

We're still hitting a wall head on with the head progress. We've talked to quite a few people and we're still working out exactly how it's going to work.

And aside from the head, I'm waiting on 4 different packages in the mail.

Pictures finally. :p

DSCN3820.JPG

Shoe bottoms were sewn with high impact floor mat. We got a BUNCH of it for $20 at Walmart, which works out for my dad since he needed some too.

DSCN3834.JPG
Cut the eye molds in half with a sharp knife.

Then for the head progress, I'll be writing up some in depth info about it on the tutorial page when it's all done, but here are some pictures I've taken anyway.

DSCN3844.JPGDSCN3845.JPGDSCN3850.JPGDSCN3854.JPG
Still haven't glued the fabric to the body yet...lol. Kind of putting it off because it sounds like a pain in the ass to me to do. The feathers did come in the mail though! They look great and we got a GREAT deal on them with RainbowFeatherCo from Las Vegas, even though it's their busy season with Mardi Gras.

DSCN3863.JPG
500 double dipped feathers for $170! Got a big discount. They're really great. :) Also on my mess-up resin eye from the ladle, painted it as practice...looks pretty great I think. It's really foggy and crappy because it was a mess up, but it worked nice as practice.
DSCN3867.JPG

No pictures but TONS of progress on the head!! It should be done by Thursday, and maybe the entire head piece done by the end of the week if we stick to plans.

You are doing a lot of great work! Looking really nice! :)

You may want to go over the eye with a fine sand paper to take way the rough areas. You take away the fogginess and smooth out the surface with some crystal clear spray paint. When it dries it will fill in all the holes, and rough surface. It may take one or two coats.

Last edited:
We tried the sandpaper, but luckily instead we found someone with a vacuum chamber and a perfectly sized mold already to make the eyes for us! =D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back