TV shows - what's up with long previews before shows, "Coming up...", 10 secs clips..

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the last few years a lot of shows started doing long 30secs.-1min. long previews before the show started, showing things that are already in the show. Yeah they did that before, but usually not as long. Then they started doing equal length "Coming up next..." before the commercials. The last thing I wonder about is in the last year about 3/4 the way through a show they will come back from a commercial and show a very short 20-30sec long clip, usually an outtake or something, then go right back to commercials. All shows started doing these things around the same time. Is there some reason for this? I always assumed it was so they didn't have to show as much content.

Re: TV shows - what's up with long previews before shows, "Coming up...", 10 secs cli

Because everyone fast forwards past the commercials now thanks to most households having DVRs.

I noticed this on Bar Rescue and mentioned I hope it doesn't pick up on other shows, then two weeks later it was on all the shows and I was :( because of it.

My husband has now taken to calling me Jinx because I mention something I don't want to catch on and it does. I once famously said 'Wow, this gas station is now charging more for using credit and debit cards? If they all do that, I'm gonna stop driving. That's BS.' and... well 37 miles is too far to walk to work so I'm stuck. :)

Re: TV shows - what's up with long previews before shows, "Coming up...", 10 secs cli

They not only show you a preview of what is coming up after the commercial, after they come back from commercial they show you what already happened before the commercial!!

Yeah that's another one! It's gotta be so they can get away with less show.

And they think viewers are sheep with no attention spans so they talk down to them with the post commercial reviews.

I'm sorry I have no idea what you're saying without a pre-post recap.

Anyone consider that this allows them to run a show short and thereby save money? That's what I'd bet is driving it.

How? No one's paid by the length of the show? They're paid per episode. A shorter show allows more ad time - unless you fill it with other parts of the show (upcoming, recaps, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

How? No one's paid by the length of the show? They're paid per episode. A shorter show allows more ad time - unless you fill it with other parts of the show (upcoming, recaps, etc).

Showing what is coming up is idiocy and something I hated in BSG.

Yes, why watch an entire episode if you can just watch a recap? Better yet why watch any tv shows when you can just wait a few years for a brief summary of the whole thing... :lol

Well, in a sense, yeah, they probably are paid for time in that you have to pay your crew to work, your editors to edit, etc. Think about it over the span of a 13-episode season. Assuming a 22-minute show (with 8 min for commercial breaks in a 30 min block), you have to fill 286 min (just shy of 5 hours) of footage. Which means you probably have to shoot, what, about 50 hours so that you have material to edit down into your show and have enough dramatic moments? Maybe less. But for the sake of argument, let's assume 25-50 hours of footage that will be edited down to your 22 min blocks.

So, what happens when, instead of filling a 22 minute block of time, you only have to fill an 18 minute block of time because you take up 4 minutes with "after the break" and "before the break" shots that recycle footage people have seen/will see? Your show is about 20% shorter, which means you have to shoot 20% less footage, which means your overhead for crew is 20% less than it would be if they're being paid for their time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back