The 8th Doctor's new costume - Night of the Doctor

Zeppo

Sr Member
Sooooo upon seeing this costume in the minisode that was released last week, I'm kind of abandoned my plans for an 11th costume and want to do this instead.

My thought being, because it seems to have been put together quickly, chances are that a lot, if not all, of the costume was purchased by production instead of being custom made.

Thus far I haven't had any luck identifying the frock coat or waistcoat on any of my go-to Victorian clothing sites.

I'm utterly stumped on the belt, though I suspect it may be military.

eBay has not proven successful on the gaiters either.

Anyone have any input?

The boots and gaiters are WWI British military. The laced gaiters are a little harder to find than the buckled kind. I think the belt is civil war era, I've seen similar ones.

Agreed on the gaiters, definitely WWI, I've got some, myself of the buckled variety (for a completely non-who reason), but on seeing these, I'm jealous. As for the belt... I know I've seen that style of "S" hook somewhere. I have a vague feeling it's more common on straps, rather than belts.

Any leads on the waistcoat or pants? These are I think going to be the hardest ones to find, and they seem to be around the same color if I'm not mistaken.

Aeric

The pants are definitely a distressed brown. They look to be cotton or denim. The waistcoat is a brocade that looks to be a greenish gold/bluish silver tone. I'm having no luck finding the waistcoat or coat anywhere online.

Just wanted to show off the gaiters that came in yesterday:

8th Doc.jpg

My boots are just an old pair of brown Doc Martens.

Last edited:
The new coat isn't green, it's black. The original was green.

Punch - those gaiters look awesome, I'm jealous! Where'd you get them?

People have been saying it's black a lot, but in the episode there are some shots where the light hits it and you can tell it's actually green
Like when the lights pop after he says "i'm a doctor", it definitely looks green, it's just dark on a darkly lit set
In the end, it's your outfit so do what you like, it's all for fun in this little hobby of ours anyways.

I respectfully disagree. I think the coat is black, but the distressing and certain lighting effects may make it appear greenish in certain shots.

A similar thing happened with the frock coat 11 wore briefly in A Town Called Mercy. People swore up and down that it was green in the promo photos, but if you watch the episode, it's black, but really dusty.

Antique & vintage black fabric tends to turn greenish with age due to the dyes used, so if the coat was a vintage item that could account for the odd coloration. (as well as lighting, weathering, etc.)

The new coat isn't green, it's black. The original was green.

Punch - those gaiters look awesome, I'm jealous! Where'd you get them?

They were an eBay find, from the auction I put up back in #6.

To my eye the coat looks greenish, if only because I think the green looks better with the earth tones of the rest of the costume.

Has anyone found the waistcoat fabric?

LOL! This Black/Green argument is SO reminiscent of the previous coat arguments.

I don't think its a vintage coat, and I do think its dark green based on the high resolution pictures.

A similar thing happened with the frock coat 11 wore briefly in A Town Called Mercy. People swore up and down that it was green in the promo photos, but if you watch the episode, it's black, but really dusty.

Isn't he wearing his green great coat in that episode?

EDIT: No, he is not. Seems like it is a different coat.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back