The 8th Doctor's new costume - Night of the Doctor

What was your search criteria, bartaking?

Sorry, didn't realize you asked. There was THIS ONE (which is still available, but $$$$) and THIS. There was one other that was way too small (for me anyway). I was searching for Antique Frock Coat, Civil War Overcoat, Vintage Overcoat, and just MEN'S GREEN WOOL. ebay seems to have some cheap options... maybe a bit too Leprechaun?

Good Luck

Those coats are both single breasted. 8's new coat is double breasted. Also, the first one is a cutaway coat, which is the wrong style.

Hmmm...How's this?

IMG_20140206_105920_541.jpg

That last one is made from an unaltered Laughing Moon frock coat pattern, so it's at least got authenticity on it's side.

Not sure I follow, just stating a fact. It's got all the tell-tale signs. The sleeves are really baggy at the top and the rear seams don't meet the princess seams on the back, it has the pleated seams either side of the vent, the waist seam hooks downward dramatically, and it's got the center front seam and curved strip on the lapel facing. The only difference I noticed at a glance was the vent being extended out a bit.

1607010_479162592189455_520516839_n.jpg
This is my son's cosplay of "Night of the Doctor" ... all items shopped for at Goodwill and modified by hand... frock coat came from combining a woman's two-piece dress/jckt ensemble... vest is from combining two shirts... leggings were once an old leather vest, taken apart and reassembled, then dyed to match his boots... the sonic he 3D-printed at his school... total cost (minus the boots which he already had) about $30

Last edited:
Anybody have a pattern for the Gaiters?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 287120
This is my son's cosplay of "Night of the Doctor" ... all items shopped for at Goodwill and modified by hand... frock coat came from combining a woman's two-piece dress/jckt ensemble... vest is from combining two shirts... leggings were once an old leather vest, taken apart and reassembled, then dyed to match his boots... the sonic he 3D-printed at his school... total cost (minus the boots which he already had) about $30

Impressive. The coat is very well done!

Anybody have a pattern for the Gaiters?

I didn't have a pattern for his gaiters (didn't even know what a gaiter was, I called them greaves) I just took apart an old leather vest and "made it work" --- that's pretty much my approach to costumes.:) But if it helps any here is my step-by-step for making the ones he is wearing for this cosplay... he then took these and dyed them to better match his boots:
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg
He actually liked the fact that he ended up with a pocket on each leg that he could carry money or other small items in, if he wanted.

I tried to look as closely at the few stills of Eight's legs as I could find (wish I'd known to look for pictures of 'gaiters') to get the details right. But I didn't have (and didn't want to buy) the tools to put eyelets in so the lace-holes are just raw, and this leather was quite thin so I doubled both front edges to try to prevent the raw holes from tearing when he laced them up.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back