The future of Toys R Us

Yeah, they're in trouble, and putting out advertisements like this isn't exactly helping their cause...

Seriously? "Educational Field Trips are WAY BORING, so we're going to a toy store so you can run around all day and play with everything and you get to take home one toy that you want!"

Don't get me wrong, the purpose of the commercial was fine (to show how Toys R Us is a great place for kids), but the execution could have been much better.

Don't even get me started on how the bus got a magical facelift en route...

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time i ever shopped at tRU was when my dad would get reward points from his company and got me certificates, it was always too damned expensive compared to the other stores around us and still is.

I always take my son to Toys R Us because I seldom got to go when I was little. I want him to always remember that his Dad took him to one of the coolest places to find toys (if they were in stock), haha! I just love watching him get all giddy over how much stuff is there.

Actually the lack of inventory was always a pain for me. TRU is a 2 hour drive and they were always out of stock on what was on my list so i'd get something else and we'd go to another store and find the ones i wanted in inventory. I do miss the TRU toy catalog, i used to use that to make my want list.

I always take my son to Toys R Us because I seldom got to go when I was little. I want him to always remember that his Dad took him to one of the coolest places to find toys (if they were in stock), haha! I just love watching him get all giddy over how much stuff is there.

Every year for Christmas, I take my nephew and literally buy whatever he wants. Growing up, my family wasn't able to really to spend money and let us be kids. Now that I'm grown up and have way too much expendable income, I don't want him to feel the same way. Little kids need to just be little kids.

As a side note, Toys R Us is re-releasing all of the original 1988 TMNT figures, and I bought him all 4 of the turtles and the party van. I can't wait to watch him go ape**** on Christmas morning.

I know TRU has been luring in adults with their exclusive Masterpiece transformers, even if they did short change folks on Rodimus, and other figure they're bringing back out.

It'll be a sad day when we're no longer able to be Toys R Us Kids...I still remember that song more than almost any other from when I was a kid!! That store was like a staple of my childhood!!

Used to work at the local TRU in the electronics dept. and it was fun but due to a paperwork error they accused me of stealing and fired me. Also got kicked out of the store 2 years ago since I unzipped my coat and someone complained I had my gun on me.

Used to work at the local TRU in the electronics dept. and it was fun but due to a paperwork error they accused me of stealing and fired me. Also got kicked out of the store 2 years ago since I unzipped my coat and someone complained I had my gun on me.

Well, was it the store that accused you and fired you, that you returned to and brought your gun into?
If so, I can see why they might have kicked you out :lol

You don't even see commercials for them anymore. Our local mall had a tiny little seasonal outlet store, tiny for real, but it was terrible.

I was surprised because I thought the story was going to be that less kids were playing with toys in favor of electronic devices. I think toy prices in general have gone up. TRU also has a big markup for LEGO toys so when I'm buying stuff for my niece and nephew I never buy LEGO there.

childrenspalace.jpg

Children's Palace i vaguely remember ads for. We had a few locally owned stores for toys then kb came in and for a while we had a Toy Warehouse but is went out of business in the late 90s.

Anybody remember Children's Palace and Kiddie City?

Yeah we had a Children's Palace here when I was little. It was around until around 86 or 87 when a TRU was built. I still remember going there to buy SW toys. When ROTJ came out, my dad took me on a Sat. to get a SW figure and the lady said to wait a minute and she came out with a brand new Kenner box with ROTJ figures before they put them out. I didn't know who they were so I didn't get one though.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back