Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Edward Kenway cosplay project

Keep in mind that the artwork/trailers costume and the in-game costume are very different in a few ways, one of which is these pieces. In the game, they have a white trim around the edges. It's actually the only difference between the two where I side with the in-game version because it looks less sloppy. The stitched and flipped artwork pieces aren't ornate enough and don't match the rest of the costume.

Also, the linen is going to return to a wrinkled state after wearing the costume once. Especially anywhere around the knees or seat. It's unavoidable.

Also, the linen is going to return to a wrinkled state after wearing the costume once. Especially anywhere around the knees or seat. It's unavoidable.

Oh so much agreement on this.
Linen wrinkles if you look at it odd. The thing wanted to wrinkle when I put it on the dummy.
I actually don't know of reinforcing or backing helps with this, but if you get some kind of cotton denim fabric it would hold up much better in the wrinkling department.

I'm currently looking for fabrics myself. I've found a linen canvas, but it was a pretty loose weave and didn't really look right. I'm kind of swaying toward cotton canvas for the doublet now. It's going to be so padded up that the difference in stiffness shouldn't matter, and I plan to soak the fabric in a fabric softener solution before sewing the thing. Cotton canvas gives a wider range of colors, too. The cotton choice is at least supported by a couple lines of text in the game. Duncan Walpole, who you take this outfit from, was somewhat wealthy. Also, a description of Edward said he liked to dress above his class. I haven't been able to find any linens thin enough for the shirt, either. Cotton is pretty much the only way to go to get the box pleat ruffles at the wrists, especially if you want them to survive a wash.

Btw, has anybody figured out what that bracelet on his right wrist is? I don't remember any mention of it in the story. It's kind of odd and maybe futuristic looking, and you can see it pretty well when you play board games.

Also, does anybody know where to get really cheap metal swords? Specifically, I only need the hilt to be nice, because I plan to remove the blades and replace them with masonite.

I recently made an Edward Kenway costume for Halloween and ren fest. I would suggest using lighter fabrics, as I did not and just about died in the 100 degree heat at the festival over the summer. I will post a picture for you of my costume. The other are my other friends that went with me to the festival. Hope this helps.:)
ren fest.jpg

Interesting stuff guys. I've been busy this past week so no progress has been made, but It's a delight to return to such useful info.

The waistcoat arrived in the post and it seems quite big on me, however i don't think this will be a problem as I will have belts wrapped around me. I'm going to stick to my decision of covering the bought waistcoat with Pleather to strengthen, lengthen and get a colour match.

Cheers Froggie, that example was useful, interesting to hear about how various simple techniques can go a long way in this craft! Will be most certainly implementing those when the time comes.

Unfortunately Risu, I also have no idea what that bracelet is... I too noticed it when playing board games...

Thanks for the suggestion Captain Rogers... will take the lightness into account as much as possible :)

Yeah I too am interested in getting some cheap metal swords but havent come across a decent website as of yet. The same goes for the fabrics, any suggestions as to which websites would be the most viable?

I don't know where you're from, but here in the Netherlands there is market stall near where I live that sells decorative swords. I'm thinking about diving into this project myself and this thread has given me a lot of insight already in what to look out for. As for the sash, it will probably be a bit tight on me :p

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but has anyone attempted to make the Mayan Outfit (unlocked by collecting all the Mayan stones) from this game? If so, are there plans?

There was one other person who had started a thread for the Mayan outfit. It's pretty cool, but I personally prefer the regular outfit.

So I was planning to hold off on buying stuff for this costume until I had finished the ones I'm working on, but I kind of got ahead of myself. I went to Jo-Ann's today and picked up the fabric for the doublet, and also found the fabric I plan to use for the shirt. Seems to me the Country Classic cotton in white (with a lot of dirt and grime) would be a good compromise for the heavy-ish weave of the shirt in the shipwreck missions while still being lightweight enough to wrinkle and pleat like the one from the art. As for the doublet, I picked out the upholstery canvas in white and slate, which is much more saturated than it should be to have that name, but a really good match to the color of the doublet. Pretty much the perfect fabric for it. They also currently have a linen that's a great color for the blue of the waistcoat, but unfortunately it has white stripes.

Some more stuff that might interests you if you're new to sewing.

Familiarizing yourself with the tools. An example of an optional but very helpful tool is a compensating presser foot.
Example:
http://www.hobkirk.co.uk/images/pictures/industrial-parts/compensating-foot-right.jpg
This is very useful when trying to sew straight seams at an overturned edge, like the white layer on his jacket.
The lowered "ski" ensures that the seams holds the distance to the edge much more precisely than if you used a normal presser foot. They can vary in appearance between each sewing machine and many machines come with a variation of these, so have a look if you can find one. Keep in mind that there are both left and right turned ones, and that they fasten differently for different brands of sewing machines, so you'd have to know what machine you have if you intend to buy one.

Sulla's step-by-step Starship Enterprise uniform.
Enterprise Jumper Tutorial/Info in ENT (Star Trek Enterprise) Forum

A good tutorial and walkthrough that breaks sewing down to small steps. It's not the costume you're making, but some of the techniques might come in handy or give you ideas on how to solve some problems you run into along the way.

What bracelet are you talking about? I don't have the game so I can't have a quick look when he plays board games, and any search I make on the subject just gives me a lot of the hidden blade armlet.
Not that I think I'd be able to tell you exactly what it is, it just made me curious.

I also don't know much about getting metal replicas, but isn't it possible they won't let you walk around with one? Not trying to spoil the fun, just trying to help you not get in trouble.

Risu: Are you looking for the more basic swords or his family swords with the falcons? Depending on which it would be possible to perhaps make a good replica of the hilt part as well, it just needs other materials than the blade.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back