Cobra Commander: Retaliation

Ozymandius

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeah, the movie was crap, but you gotta love that helmet.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed doing mechanical sculpts and I knew I just had to do this one when I first saw it. Really was a fun job because of all the complexity of just figuring out what was going on in the pics.

Once the mold is done I'll cut is apart to fine tune all the edges and details and fill in the missing bits, then remold the different sections and create the buck for the visor.

I agree the helmet is a great throwback to the 80s Cobra Commander. Looks really good, are you going to add a see thru visor?

... Looks really good, are you going to add a see thru visor?

Oh yeah, I'm going all out with this sucker. But the helmet is so complex that you have to sculpt it as a complete piece first so that you know everything will fit together properly. Once I cast this into a hard shell, I can cut it apart and fine tune all the details and edges so that it is super crisp and sharp.

I thought I was never going to finish the waste mold on this thing with the holidays and all, but I finally did pull a couple of casts.

Now to cut it all apart and polish everything up nice and clean.

BRAVO!!! I like it a lot!
I'm always curious what clays others are using, so if you don't mind I would like to know which clay you used.
I use a chavant soft for most my sculpts but I'm wanting to use a firmer clay to do sculpts like yours.

To clarify, this is my own personal project for fun and won't be for sale. UD Replicas is making and officially licensed helmet and I recommend that you go check out their thread if you want to buy one. Hopefully I'll have enough cash on hand to get one myself when it becomes available.

Personally, I'm rather intrigued to see how my traditionally made helmet stacks up against their computer made version.:D

Hey thanks for the reply. Really wow that's very cool, and trippy! Glad to hear, that would be great. I will look forward to that. So you have your Facebook linked here. Would it be okay for me to try, and friend request or do you have a Fan page?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back