Subscribe
  1. darkcrystal is offline darkcrystal
    Nov 15, 2013, 10:55 AM - License costs? #1

I may be wrong here, but I wondered how much would cost a license to produce an official prop replica? Maybe for 500 pieces?
  2. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Nov 15, 2013, 10:57 AM - Re: License costs? #2

It would depend on the company, and if they are even willing to license whatever the IP is that you would be using.
  3. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Nov 15, 2013, 11:01 AM - Re: License costs? #3

The number of replicas you produce is irrelevant to the cost of the license.

From what I've heard over the years from RPFers who 'hit it big' and started producing licensed replicas had to pay at least a few hundred thousand dollars for the rights, and some much, much more.
  4. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Nov 15, 2013, 11:20 AM - Re: License costs? #4

Depending on the Studio and franchise could go up to a Million easily.

Some advice from a former Licensee, The Studios and the Lawyers get their money first and you as the Licensee last.

darkcrystal said: View Post
    I may be wrong here, but I wondered how much would cost a license to produce an official prop replica? Maybe for 500 pieces?
    From
    CANADA
    Nov 15, 2013, 11:26 AM - Re: License costs? #5

Not sure what backround you have but they usually don't waist time playing with the little fishes, your talking hundreds of thousands of dollars and you don't get rich they do

Gerardo
    Last edited by GF; Nov 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
  6. darkcrystal is offline darkcrystal
    Nov 16, 2013, 3:06 AM - Re: License costs? #6

James Kenobi 1138 said: View Post
    The number of replicas you produce is irrelevant to the cost of the license.

From what I've heard over the years from RPFers who 'hit it big' and started producing licensed replicas had to pay at least a few hundred thousand dollars for the rights, and some much, much more.
    Ok thanks! But how comes a company releases a licensed bust with a 500 pieces edition and sell it for about USD 20.- or less each (wholesale)?
    How can they get back their 100 thousands???