What kind of aluminum powder is best for cold casting?

asok

What kind of aluminum powder is best for cold casting? I have used 1000 mesh and Smooth On Smooth cas 325 and it comes out ok. I never get a good metal finish. I was going to maybe play with putting the power in the fiberglass resin but, am not sure what resin to buy. Any suggestions?

Theres a member here, MFXREPLICAS, His name is Neill and he will be able to answer your question im sure, good luck :thumbsup

Hi m8

Normally the harder the resin, the better it comes out. Also if itÂ’s something that is being cast flat, as in the face that will be showing down, using a slower setting resin will let the metal powder settle. I have tried this in all sorts of resin, and by far the best is normal polyester resin, but itÂ’s a tad brittle to be practical. I am currently making some pulse rifle grenades and using aluminium powder, with sika g26 resin which is a five minute gel time. I made the mould in a piece of plastic pipe, and spin it horizontally in my lather for 5 minutes and this has a centrifugal effect pushing the denser metal powder to the outside. So far comes out a treat. It seems the harder the resin the better it polishes up.

:) Don

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back