Welsh's 1/24 scale X-Wing scratch build

welshwarrior123

Whats up guys,
So aside me painting star wars helmets and Boba fett stuff, im doing a model making degree that low and be-hold needs us to make a few models. So we have been given a brief of building a vehicle or architectural building from scratch, naturally I turned to star wars. And even though there are 100's of X wing threads on here, I had to choose it.

So we had a week to put together a presentation and create some 1:1 scale drawings to which we would either get the go ahead for our project or have to chose something else. So I spent 3 days reading up on the hero and pyro X-wing models which clearly was not enough time, and from what i found it would be nigh on impossible to create a true accurate X wing in the time I have (8 weeks), so I turned to the finemolds 1/48 model. I know its not accurate, but to me it looks like an x wing and thats good enough.

So I drew up some 1/24 scale blue prints but doubling every measurement on the FM kit, and also knocked up a very rough maquette just for a realisation of size,

With that done and a meeting with my tutor, I got the go ahead to build her. So I decided to start with droid strip. Now this isnt accurate, and I will be redrawing it on Rhino and 3D printing a better one. But this is my place holder for now, was also a good exercise in building small details in styrene.

With the droid strip I went to big at the start and had to squeeze everything in. So I will be redoing it, im pleased with how it came out and it will make a good piece to build around until I print my better version. So with that done, I ordered some polyurethane tooling foam to start work on the fuselage.

So using the blueprints I marked out my lines, both profile and top down, and ran it through the bandsaw, which left me with a rough X-wing shape;

Then i spent the best part of 2 days drawing out all the bevels and angles and sanding them out with a sanding block. I first cut the fuselage in two, and once shaped, re joined them using pins and a bit or fast cast resin.

From those pictures, I also slimmed down the front more so as the bottom section creates a little overlap. I then had to cut out the droid strip section, which would need to be CNC'd. I should have done this before cutting, so I had to create a jig to be able to clamp it onto the milling bench.
A couple of screws and some MDF...

I then stuck it on the mill and started to mill out the strip;

...and then i was kicked out of our workshop for closing hours. So she's still clamped to the bed at this moment till the morning. I just need to straighten up the edge detail, then I can build a riser and get some vac pulls of the top half. Hoping to have a shell of both fuselage pieces and the canopy by the weekend.

Im pretty pleased with how its going, It not 100% accurate or to scale so that why ive put it in here, but as long as it looks like an X wing at the end of it I will be happy. Any pointers or tips any of you model veterans have I would be very grateful to here. Should have regular updates on this being that its my only Uni project, hopefully some vac pulls tomorrow.

Welsh

Do multiples of when you do your pulls.you can either build other versions or kit it as I am sure theres people who will be up for one, especialy if you are uk based.not enpugh talented uk based scratchers with these things on offer.

You know the studio scale model is 1/24-ish, right? You might want to check the donor kit part sizes...

Thanks guys, with regards to scale I know how "varied" it gets with the X-wing. But its only an 8 week project, so 100% accuracy is not going to even be attempted. I did look into sourcing actual parts, but I was told I have to build everything. This project is really designed to get us using all the machines in our workshop and using them to a high standard. For instance, at least one part of the build has to be 3D printed or laser cut. So I intend to draw the wings up in coral draw and get them cut in acrylic, while the back plate section will be 3D printed. I will be buying the saturn 5 kit for the engines though as I doubt I will have the time to turn one up along with everything else.

So today I did a lot...but it just doesnt show. Last night I was kicked off the CNC before I could finish, so I got in early this morning and finished up the droid strip.

So with the next bit, I did not really document to it well. So the idea is that im going to vac form the fuselage in ABS which needs to be custom ordered, but I have a few sheets of styrene to hand. And our tutors like us to play around with materials so I thought I would do a few pulls in that. But I first needed to make a riser. I was going to re-use the jig, trace around that and cut it out, but i was not allowed to as the jigg will need to be handed in at the end of the project. So I spent most of the day trying to find some scrap MDF. Once found I just double sided the Form to the wood, and counter sunk some wood screws in the back...exactly the same as my old jig. Then I had to cut around the form.
I made the form a little to long just incase I made a oopsie, so off they come.

Once trimmed I then used our bobbing sander, to shape the MDF to the form of the Xwing...which wasnt scary at all :wacko

So now that the riser was all lined up and flush to the model, I had to lube her up ready for vac forming. Also did a test fit of the droid strip. I made the cutout 1mm bigger either side to accommodate the increase in size from the vac pull. You can see that the droid strip is too tall, but that will be corrected with my second attempt at it.

So I should have a pull or two tomorrow. From that I hope to start the canopy and the bottom half, so it should be a long day of model making. Hopefully i will have something more substantial to show tomorrow evening.

Thanks guys

Welsh

If you read the description I actually say it is off, hence why its being re-done.

I managed to get quite a lot done today, but not as much as I wanted. So yesterday I finished the vacuum buck and got it all greased up to ease getting it out of the pull. So the first thing today was to get a workable pull. My first effort was a little soft around the droid strip, so I drilled some holes around the end to get better suction.

I then pulled it in 1mm styrene, using a few pieces of MDF to help push down tight in the corners,

Then spent about half hour trying to force the thing out of the bloody pull,

I shot ahead then without taking any photos. But the idea was to create the canopy out of foam and use it to make a vac buck. But in the end I just decided to scratchbuild it out of 1mm styrene. Kind of glad I did as the dust from the foam gets everywhere.

I did want to try and get the lower fuselage shaped and the buck built, but I just ran out of time. But from what i have im really pleased with it. Might start modelling the wings thursday using rhino, while I work on the lower section and the nose over the rest of the week. For now im going to have a play with scribing the current pull I have, and marking out the wing cut outs. If anyone has any tips about scribing and panel line work, i would love to hear them :p

Welsh

Quick update, Probably shouldnt have done this but I decided to put some primer down on the casting. The separate colour were throwing me off so thought having it one colour might help.

Im debating either re-milling the droid strip cut out to make it a little deeper, or cutting out the section all together and making a frame to lower it a few millimetres. As im not sure whether i will have time to 3D print this now as I need to do the back plate and the wings first.

Thanks guys, yes in the end I just re-milled the buck. Was a little hesitant as I took it off the Jig and thought I would have a handful getting it all lined up again but it went quite well.

Today I built up the cockpit console (again not going for accuracy, just want it to look busy) and put innner frames on the canopy. I also pulled a new canopy with the deeper droid strip cut out which I think is much better. I could have gone a little deeper but im happy to leave it like this for my hand in. I also worked on the lower section and now have it ready for vac forming after I build a riser.

Also started to draw out the back plate today so that should be ready for printing next week, and then i can start the wings. Let me know what you guys think,

Welsh

Well I pretty much have 4 weeks to build this, so im working a good 10 hours a day on it monday to friday. Thanks for the compliments though guys, I know its not accurate but my tutors dont know the in's and outs of an X wing, so as long as it looks like the photos I have, they are happy :)

Not much to show today, but i did get the lower half vac formed and attached to the top half. Having issues with alignment in the middle, but it looks promising. The nose cone, which I should be building tomorrow, will keep the front piece nice and tight, while im still waiting on the back plate to attach to the back.

She is quite thick at the font, but I dont have time now to alter the buck at this stage. My tutor says he likes how it looks so im happy to keep it. I will probably re visit the the bucks after hand in and try and get them a bit more accurate in shape.

Welsh

Doesnt seem to be much interest in this, so I will probably hold off on updates after this one until after I finished for opinions. But the other day I built up the nose cone in foam, and vacformed it in two pieces. I still need to seam the pieces and add the little indent detail monday. I also started the pannel line procedure. Never done it before but im pretty happy with the results,

Welsh

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back