Stripping paint off plastic?

jmgrice

Sr Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I recently painted a helmet and idiotically used full strength masking tape. Took some paint chips off when I removed it. Filler primer didnt help just made it more obvious. And fairy power cleaner only took the filler primer off but wont take the green automotive paint down. Theres too much detail to sand but last resort I can scratch it of. Just wondered if there was anything easier. Its cast in white plastic.

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I don't have any experience with paint on plastic but I think its important to know what kind of plastic you're dealing with and what kind of paint. There has to be a stripper that will remove the paint and not harm the plastic.

I use auto paint on a daily bases and there are many paint removers that wont hurt the plastic. I would go to the nearest auto paint store or to a local body shop and get thier opinion.

I have used Purple Power, available at Advance Auto. I've soaked my models (styrene plastic) in a vat of it for 1-3 days. Using a toothbrush and warm water the paint usually falls right off leaving bare undamaged plastic. But I would test this method on your particular project to make sure it doesn't react badly to the paint or plastic. I soaked a model with 30+ years of enamel paint for 2 days and it looked like a new kit when done. Good luck :thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back