Galactica Colonial Warrior TOS - take 2

johntrek

Last spring I managed to put together the boots, laser pistol and holster for a Colonial Warrior Viper pilot costume, and made the appropriate trousers. The project was on hold over the summer, but in the last month I finally sat down and worked my way through the tunic. The delay was partly due to a lot of travel and work commitments, but also the fear of stretching my somewhat limited sewing skills to tackle something I had no pattern for.

The fabric was a suede cloth acquired from JoAnn's Crafts, the trim donated from a friend's project, with patch and pins from an online vender (amazing to me that 35 years later there are still enough fans of the show that you can buy this stuff).

I bought a dress shirt at a thrift shop that fit me well and had nice tight sleeves, thus avoiding all the commercial patterns I have seen that seem to think modern men should wear baggy clothes with sleeves that are better suited for a pirate. Leaving the shirt buttoned up, and cuffs closed, I carefully ripped the seams apart and cut things to get the pattern I wanted to reconstruct into the basic underlying tunic.

I have used a similar trick before to make some pants, but had a devil of a time getting the cut out pieces of fabric to sew together properly. This time it occurred to me that the key to getting this to work is to mimic the way a real pattern is made, with notches cut into the pieces to mark where the adjoining piece should fit when you sew it together. Seems that there are reasons that commercial patterns have all that "stuff" going on. Who knew?

The tunic and quilted breast plate went together after a fair bit of effort, but the collar yoke was a different story. It was made out of eight radial pieces as it should be, but I sewed it together essentially on a flat surface, and it took a lot of readjustments and reengineering as I attached it to the tunic. The lesson I came away with was the need to get a (male) dressmaker dummy or homemade substitute before I ever try something like this again.

I think there are still one or two commercially available warrior uniforms available, but I wanted to say I did it myself. Even if the jacket still is the one I bought through the mail 33 years ago.

I got to wear it out to Stan Lee's Comikaze this past weekend. Quite a few people recognized it. I liked the remained Galactica, but I bet 35 years after it was on the air no one will recognize those uniforms at a convention. The uniforms on the old show just had a style that still looks good and sticks in your head.

IMG_8274.JPGIMG_8270a.JPGIMG_8282.JPG

Looks great!
Suggestion--dye that gunbelt the correct steel grey, and you'll be almost spot-on. Also, add the 1/2" brass snap on the right side of the belt--by the recharge cylinders.

Are you one of our Blackstar troops???

The collar pins are actually the most readily available part of this costume. They are US Army Military Intelligence branch insignia. You can get them relatively cheap from any military uniform catalog. It amazes me that people used to make resin copies of the pins and then charge ridiculously high prices for them.

Great looking outfit!

Yep!
It amazes me still, that people buy a pair from Vanguard, slap the Galactica moniker on them and sell them on eBay for double the price...lol.

The collar pins are actually the most readily available part of this costume. They are US Army Military Intelligence branch insignia. You can get them relatively cheap from any military uniform catalog. It amazes me that people used to make resin copies of the pins and then charge ridiculously high prices for them.

Great looking outfit!

Well done.:thumbsup I wondered how many panels the collar was. I could never seem to see a clear enough picture to be able to count the seams. My material for this is in a bag waiting to come up on my to do list, after I find boots anyway. The last 2 pair I found didn't fit, so the third pair I find should be "just right', shouldn't they?:) I still have my Starlog Warrior Jacket as well, but I gave mine a re-dye when it came. It was that weird khaki color they did them in back then. It amazes me as well about the collar pins, as well as the ones for Pegasus too. Those are small USN Command Ashore pins. There's so much prop stuff that you can find if you know what it is. I picked up a pair of those to convert my jacket to the Pegasus when I saw that episode after also locating the right WWII patch they used.

Funnily enough, before the series came out on TV, it was released as a movie in Canada and I was visiting relatives at the time. My first night there, I ran off to the movie and instantly recognized the collar pins, so when I got back, I ran over to my local custom uniform store that carried military gear and bought some. I had them on my civilian jacket in short order and so many people were asking how I got those when the TV show started.

Missed this one!

Great job on the Tunic which are not easy to do!

Always good to see another Colonial on this Board! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back