SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

It's been quite a while since I've posted to this thread, suffice it to say - we've been busy cranking away on new developments and discoveries regarding the 5' Falcon. We have an updated photogram solve using new software:

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.58.16 PM.png

...and Bandai has released their Perfect Grade "1/72" ANH MF kit - which, when I receive my kit in a few weeks here in the US, I look forward to measuring, comparing and contrasting...!

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 9.11.23 PM.png

Stay tuned...

apb

Haha busy is an understatement Andre, tweaking all the way & getting to grips with all measures that fit relative to all areas of the Falcon, not been easy, but having the likes of myself & Sean & a few others doing actual building, it all becomes clear & no longer a mystery.

Stu

Hi All, New to the thread here (Posting wise). Just a teaser picture. Don't get hopes up too high, this is a promotional/product tie-in in conjunction with the release of the new movie. And yes, that is Lorne Peterson, and yes, that is indeed "Uptown Model/Rubber Room" in "D-Bldg" in San Rafael.IMG_2950.JPG I'm posting this to thank you all for your hard work and research on the ANH 4' model (No one at ILM referred to it as the 5' model, they referred to it as the measurement of the dish section). Your work and generous sharing of info enabled my team to move into action on this model, before we even had the specs from the "Hero asset" computer model. There will be a small segment on the building of this model on "The Star Wars Show" on April 25 this coming week. (Youtube) Thank you, thank you, thank you! -Sean

Last edited:
Sean,

Thank you so much for the post. I am really happy our team’s collective work has been helpful in your endeavor!

Without the expertise, talents and perseverance of:

Stu Brown (eagle1)
Doug Maio
Joshua Maruska (maruska)
Sean Sides (t2sides)

This thread would not be possible.

Thanks again and love your model – epic work!

Regards,

André

Sean, Great Work there!!! That is AWESOME to see a 5 footer come to life from the new Solo Movie!! Keep us posted on updates, it looks like it's going to be very impressive!! Ditto what Andre' says above, but he certainly has done some incredible work with his photogrammetry, and working out solves/dimensions with Joshua and the team. Those guys really are rock stars helping us live our dream of building one of these amazing replicas!!

(EDIT - OK, I 'now' see what this build was about - won't drop the 'spoiler' here, but now it makes sense after viewing the Star Wars Show clip - Congrats on that Sean!! Very Cool!)

Last edited:
I've been lurking here enjoying the incredible work being done and the stories and techniques being discussed. Like Cadeus I saw the 5 footer and was blown away. It was on display in Los Angeles as part of the Science of Star Wars exhibit. I know there are lots of reference photos out there of this model, but I spent over an hour photographing it with a DSLR and got over 150 great shots. They're color corrected to get rid of the green cast from the glass, and the clarity in the details, paint, and weathering is better than most of the point and shoot reference shots I've seen. Here's an example:

View attachment 302160

It's a big file because I loaded it at full resolution, so it will take a moment to load. If you open it in a new window or tab you can magnify it to 1:1 and get an idea of the detail.

I'd love to contribute something to this project just because I love the ship so much, so if a series of photos like this would be useful to anyone here let me know and I'll fill up my Photobucket.

Keep up the great work everyone!

My father, who is 76, has been a scale model builder for about 70 years now. Hes extremely talented, mostly WW11 warships. He is building a 5 foot version of the falcon.

Very pleased to connect with all here researching and building the 5ft model.

My email is John@gmhatlaw.com. My name, like my father, John Houghtaling.

Last edited:
My father, who is 76, has been a scale model builder for about 70 years now. Hes extremely talented, mostly WW11 warships. He is building a 5 foot version of the falcon.

Very pleased to connect with all here researching and building the 5ft model.

My email is John@gmhatlaw.com. My name, like my father, John Houghtaling.
Welcome and good luck to your father...eager to see his build!

Hes working today.

This is him showing me plans at Christmas. I swear I felt like it teleported me back to being 11 years old when I got my Kenner plastic toy

Attachments

• 99716533-A13E-49AC-874F-BA29FD4F4D11.jpeg
    99716533-A13E-49AC-874F-BA29FD4F4D11.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 286
  • 90A73C9E-BDA7-428A-8249-87C71A020E22.jpeg
    90A73C9E-BDA7-428A-8249-87C71A020E22.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Andre,
Stu Brown (eagle1)
Doug Maio
Joshua Maruska (maruska)
Sean Sides (t2sides)

Just finished this thread. Its been incredible. My father and I debated and debated whether he should do a 5 foot, and we decided Christmas day, and we just stumbled upon the thread today.

You have all been so gracious with open arching your work. It was great to review the plans with my father who has been toiling on his dimensions. My father is a retired nuclear engineer and has been building scale scratch built scale models from drawings for more than half a century. (70 years he has been building). But I must say I was a little worried how off his calculations would be from such obvious professionals. Its been a great deight Andre to see my fathers caculations were nearly spot on to yours. (very proud of my father tonight!).

My hope is we can be a productive member of this community and help the archives. I myself have been collecting original Lucasfilm props and costumes from the original trilogy but just now discovering "therpf.com". I will be posting some of my other projects in other threads as I put together a display of originals from our collection, but will not muddy up this thread.

Anyway, thank you from a very enthusiastic new member! Hope to learn and share with you guys,

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back