SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

The Andre Bustanoby of Titanic fame? No wonder you're employing hi-tech wizardry. I'm glad the 5-foot Falcon interested you, sir. And I hate to admit it but I feel like a vulture circling overhead.

crackerjazz,

Yup – that’s me.

I’d been at Digital Domain for 2 years by that time (late 1997) – smack dab between my first 5 years at Boss Film and after DD, Stan Winston Studio. Back when miniatures and in-camera practical FX were more the rule as opposed to the exception. Things have really changed in the last 10 years...

Did we ever work together?

Regards,

Andre

For me, a little earlier...first, Wavefront.

Then Alias PA, Softimage, Lightwave, Maya, ZBrush and Modo.

So many intuitive, accessible tools now...almost too many.

;-)

Apb

I have the deepest admiration for people who have the will and the skills to tackle the madness that is the 5 foot Millennium Falcon, it is incredible, really (I'm not going to join that club, it's way beyond my skills). This particular thread on the 5 footer leaves me gobsmacked, I love the meticulous attention to measurements and research, it is exciting to see the progress and can't wait to study the blueprints. Thank you so much for sharing, I'm enjoying this very much.

Hi Andre,

Really looking forward to your overall measures.
I hadn't realised your previous work history & prowess with the software tools you are using, incredible stuff for sure & reinforces
the work you are doing on the Falcon.
I think I speak for all us Falcon nutters, to say thanks for your efforts & having an interest in this most amazing miniature.

If there are any kit parts you need measures of to affirm your dimensions, just ask away Andre, no problem.

I've laid out quite a few of the subassemblies with measures to match, so will be cool to talk shop with you & see if we agree.

Stu

Cool stuff man. I live in LA and have a good fiend, Jason Schugardt who is a VFX supervisor. Not sure if you know him. He was with Method and I think he started at DD.

Avanaut: Thank you very much!

crackerjazz, Bondo Fett: Thanks – I appreciate it!

Stu: Thank you very much for the kind words. This has been quite the journey so far and I am finally ready to publish my initial dimensions. As I proceed into Phase 2, I will definitely have questions regarding donor kit parts I either don’t have or don’t know about as I continue to compare shapes and related measurements. One can never check and recheck quite enough…!

Joberg: Thank you!

Jedifyfe: Yes, I do know of Jason. It’s been awhile since we’ve met, but I never forget a face!

EddieL: Sounds like a meet-up might be in order – after the rainy weather passes, of course!

Regards,

Andre

Stand by, Chewie, here we go…

Ok…after too much wrestling with Photoshop, where I thought it would be fun to layout the “blueprints” (I won’t do that again – I’ll use a proper CAD system next time!) – please find below, my initial results.

But first, some CG camera snaps and comps to the latest geometry. Overall, I feel it is very close. Towards the end, I was sweating 1/8” or less on many measurements.

It’s not perfect (as I’ll never get there) but close enough to move into Phase 2 – more on that a little later.

TT_frame1_001.jpg
TT_frame2_001.jpg
TT_frame3_001.jpg
MF_SB_001a.jpg
MF_SB_002a.jpg

more to follow next...

ANH 5’ Millennium Falcon - Proposed Blueprints (ver_001):

ANH_MF_TOP_001.jpg
ANH_MF_FRONT_001.jpg
ANH_MF_SIDEPORT_001.jpg
ANH_MF_BOTTOM_001.jpg

Next up, Phase 2 will involve hanging donor kit parts off the proposed CG geometry to continue to check my measurements and assumptions.

MPC_CLR_sm_001.jpg

For example, this next image – an example of null locator reference of key landmarks in 3D, derived from both the modeled donor kit parts and stills reference.

MF_locatorLayout_001.jpg

Also, I will update some of the incomplete areas (docking ring detailed measurements and the rear bottom engine box) with more standard blueprint images. For example:

MF_dockingRingWIP_002.jpg

I will also be laying out the real donor kit parts on physical subassemblies as a final check before I move into Phase 3 – the actual build.

Please feel free to review, critique and comment – I’m sure I’ll need to revise a few of these measurements (i.e. the placement and dimensions of the cockpit and access tunnel) and I look forward to the feedback…

And one last thing – the latest geometry comped into a shot from SW.

[video=vimeo;87968746]https://vimeo.com/87968746[/video]

Generally, it looks pretty close – except the cockpit area. It’s either too tight into the body, too far back or my lens distortion is not quite “right” – or all of the above!

Nevertheless, time to move on and actually build this bird.

Regards,

Andre

Hi Andre, it felt just like unwrapping the biggest present on Christmas opening up those attachments! Thanks so much for the measurements!!! And unbelievable the way you comp geometries onto videos. You're way ahead of your time.

Hi Andre,

I started the big Falcon kit ID thread a while ago, and whilst I'm currently building ships from a different galaxy, I've been keeping half an eye on developments, and lurking with interest to see what you have been up to. I have to reiterate the compliments already on record here, you're doing a tremendous job, and helping fellow Falcon wannabes realise their dreams. Me included! - Having someone like yourself who can bring an arsenal of professional VFX techniques and experience to bear on the problem has drastically reduced the many man-years of head scratching, false starts and swearing which previously lay ahead for many of us. My sincere thanks and appreciation for sharing it all in the way you are.

Looking at your renders it really does look like you have nailed the proportions and got something which instinctively 'feels' like the original Falcon. No way could you mistake them for the 32" for example. I see what you mean about the cockpit in the tracked docking bay shot, yet in the other renders and snap-views it actually looks really good, so maybe its more of a tracking/distortion issue?. I think your next phases of kit part comparison will definitely help fine tune things.

Terrific work, and I'll continue to watch with interest as you move forward.

Cheers
Nick

this is fantastic! I can't stop stearing on this Blueprints. You did a great job and I can't wait to see this build.

-Chris

Really love the curvature of the hull (an area a few have a tendency to get wrong; yes, it's that curved!) as for the cockpit area, I fail to see what's wrong with it...could you expand (that or my synapses are not firing properly);)

Heya Andre,

An amazing job done on these blueprints mate. Great to see how the 5 3/4" cockpit tube fits with the hull, I feel it looks good. As long as the Wankel half fits in there as it should, then cool!. Remember the cockpit plating will take up more space as well & also detailing which may give the illusion of it either being too close in or too far out. One to test on an actual build maybe?.

Couple of things I found, no biggies. I have made the gun turret window cutout at 4 1/4" not 4 1/2".
Also noticed you have the large rear underside landing gear box ends, (gun turret end) in the wrong orientation, they don't slope down like you have them, the ends rise up past the horizontal. Do you have a good underside shot Andre which shows this clearly?. If not PM me with your email addy & I'll send it to you.

Critique aside, all looks good, it has the feel of a blank 5' Falcon which is great. Look forward to more measures Andre, keep at it.
Oh, curious to know the length you have for the upper/lower jaw boxes when you have them.

Stu

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back