Jesssmith's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

jesssmith

Hi everyone!

New member here, this is my first contest entry. I wanted to make a latex mask of Disney's the Beast from the film Beauty and the Beast, and from there decided it would be fun to combine Belle's ball-gown with the Beast. I've worked once before with latex, but never made a latex mask so this was a bit challenging.

here's how I went about making my costume:

started by sculpting the head using a foam mannequin head for an armature and clay.

IMG_0736.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0779.JPGIMG_0784.JPG

Once I was done I built a plasticine wall, made key holes and then added a thin beauty layer of plaster. Followed by 4 more layers, adding burlap to strengthen on the 2nd layer.

IMG_0786.JPGIMG_0787.JPGIMG_0789.JPG

After the Plaster dried I opened up the two part mould and cleaned out the clay. After adding a release agent I brushed in 2 layers of plaster then added cheese cloth to strengthen the mask, before adding 4 more layers of latex.

IMG_0808.JPGIMG_0825.JPG

Once the latex dried I carefully removed it and began trimming the parting line. I noticed however that in some areas the seam was very thin so i turned the mask inside out and added thickened latex along the parting line to give it more strength before I trimmed it fully.
IMG_0837.JPGIMG_0840.JPGIMG_0844.JPG

I didn't have time to order the right paint, so i mixed latex with acrylic and used that. If the mask were more flexible I can see that it would flake off rather easily, but since i knew it was just for halloween I figured it would work for the night. After painting I attached fur around the neck to blend in the mask to the rest of the costume.
IMG_0900.JPG

Next I began work on the body. I'd like to warn that i am in no way a seamstress so building this was a little makeshift.

I wanted to have beast's body in Belle's dress so i bought 1 metre of faux fur and began by cutting arms and upper torso shapes. I sewed together the fur inside out so the seams would not be visible. IMG_0949.JPGIMG_0950.JPGIMG_0952.JPGIMG_0956.JPG
Next I bad shoe covers for feet by cutting a rectangular strip of fur and sewing it together along one side half along the top so that a slit was left open for the foot to fit through

IMG_0957.JPGIMG_0959.JPGIMG_0960.JPG
Next I bought 2 metres of yellow satin fabric to build the gown. I didn't really know how to go about making this so i decided to make it in two peices, i started by making a tube top. then added the shoulders with a sewed strip that I then pinned to the front and back

IMG_0962.JPGIMG_0963.JPGIMG_0965.JPGIMG_0966.JPGIMG_0967.JPG

After that I used the rest of the fabric to create the skirt. I folded it in half and pinched every two inches and sewed along these areas to create a bunching effect. Then I ran a string through the middle to make a drawstring.
IMG_0970.JPGIMG_0974.JPGIMG_0978.JPGIMG_0980.JPG

here's the finished product!
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG

thanks michael! I didn't know if i should enter in female costumes or new members so i uploaded in female. Should I change my entry to the new members category?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back