Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead (Season 3/4)

thinkbug

This is my Rick costume, inspired by the show of course, but also from the image of Rick standing on an overturned bus holding this gun out to the side, as I depicted below (without the bus). I did a little photo shoot and re-imagined the character in LA, where I live. It took me a while to piece together this outfit, which is deceptively simple. Here is a list of what I purchased, and where.

1. Khaki Western Shirt = found the shirt at AJ Western (Roper brand) with snap buttons. The color of Rick's shirt varies a bit from time to time, from light to dark, from tan to olive, from torn and dirty to... not so much. I chose the middle ground, after the production photos I liked best.
2. Black Jeans - mine are Gap (not what Rick would wear) but look and feel good.
3. Justin Boots - Rick's are 2222, I think. Mine are the modern version, 2253 Bay Apache. They basically look the same to me.
4. Police Duty Belt - got it on ebay. It came with the swivel holster, which is damn close to Rick's. Same black weaved style, and mine is also vintage and worn. I am most proud of this, I would say.
5. Python 357 replica - got mine from etsy, an actual resin model of the real gun. Can't pull the trigger, but the color is more accurate than airsoft, I feel.
6. Using my own metal watch, which isn't that accurate, but works at a glance. Before comic-con next summer I want to nail down that Kenneth Cole he wears.
7. My hair is brown, but not as dark as Ricks. I had it toned darker, which last about a month.
8. I'm actually married, so wearing my own wedding band, which Rick also wears.

I took sand paper and a cheese grater to the clothes to make them more worn and frayed. I used real dirt, and some vaseline as well. I had a lot of fun doing this. My wife also got into it and dressed up as one version of Andrea, as you can see in the last photo. I did spend a bit, just over $300. The boots and the belt were the bulk of it.

I got a lot of good info here on the RPF from other folks who tackled Rick Grimes. So thanks to my fellow Walker slayers. This post is just my way of giving back.

rick1.jpgrick3.jpgrick4.jpgstreet1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really great. Just like the tv show. Now take it to the next level and make the severed hand Rick from the comics

Looks awesome. do you recall which etsy seller you got the gun from? The only one I see sells them in a presentation box and wondered if that was the same one? From the the pictures you posted yours seems to look more realistic though...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back