The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

Extimorous

Hi, I haven’t done anything as ambitious as this – ever. I saw the trailer for the new Captain America movie and loved the look they are using for The Winter Soldier. I wanted to start putting the costume together for DragonCon next year. So, I went out and snagged all the source images I could, and started researching. I know that I may have to settle on some of the components, but I’d like to get it as screen accurate as I can manage. I’ve sewn a bit, and I’ve modified things to create costumes or props in the past, but I’ve never done a scratch build before. If I can figure out what can be store-bought and what I may need to comission/build myself, that will help loads.

Outdated text will be put in italics, so we have some sense of continuity.

Thanks
-Will

I’m going to list out everything I’ve figured out, and update it when I have more information. Hopefully, this will

Identifying Equipment
TWS is a walking armory. He's displayed a variety of main weapons and secondary equipment. Below is what we've managed to identify so far.

The Launcher
Back1.PNG TWS1.PNG Launcher2.PNG
The launcher used in the first trailer is an FN MK13 Grenade Launcher that has been modified to launch the discs used to take out Fury's SUV. Thanks to @Murded for pointing out the IMFDB. Now just to figure out what the best way to build this thing will be.

The Rifle
Guns.PNG

This is an AR-15 with optics (I'm betting it's an EO Tech site) and an M203 style under slung grenade launcher.
It looks like he picks this up later. Based on what we've seen in the trailers, it's likely that he picks up and drops weapons on a regular basis.

Back Mounted Machine Pistol
This is a Skorpion machine pistol.
This is the machine pistol that is attached to his back. Thankfully, airsoft versions of these are everywhere.

Another Grenade Launcher
tws-gl02.JPG
This is a Milkor Multiple Grenade Launcher. The US Marines call it an M32. Another in the now growing list of big guns that TWS carries.

Main Knife
Side1-Grenade.PNG A17-GB01874.jpg

It looks like the dagger is a Gerber Mk II. This is a real knife. I'm going to keep an eye out for a place to get a prop one.

Also, in this shot you can see he had a grenade for the m203. He has a matching pouch with a matching grenade on the other side. I should be able to locate prop versions of these somewhere online.

Matched Backup Knives
awesome.JPG
In addition to the Gerber, TWS carries two matched knives that are mounted on his belt on the back side of his outfit. We haven't identified these yet, but here is the best picture we've run across so far.

Three Pistols on Two Legs
Pistol1.PNG COP01.PNG Intratec - TEC38.JPG
Left Thigh
Sig P226, maybe. I haven't been able to confirm this on my own yet.

Right Thigh
Top Pistol: COP 357
Bottom Pistol: Intratec TEC-38. Produced by Intratec and only manufactured from 1986 to 1988.

Random Details about the Tec-38.

Update 11/3/13
Two thighs, three guns.
If you look closely at the picture on the right, you can see that the gun carried on his right thigh holster is actually two seperate derringer style pistols. It took me forever to figure out why the extended barrel on the COP 357 looked off. It was because it was a seperate pistol and not a part of the COP 357 at all. This is good news, as the airsoft versions of the standard sized COP 357 are way easier to find than the extended barrel versions.
Now I just need to identify the tiny pistol that is at the bottom of the thigh holster.

Update 10/31/13
The pistols are not a matched set. One of them is a COP 357 Magnum. (Thanks to Murded and Noeland for pointing this out)

He has two nickel plated pistols in thigh holsters. They appear to be matching, but I don't have enough detail to verify that yet.

Identifying Wardrobe

Front2.PNG

Update: 2/9/14
Odds are pretty good that most of this is custom.

Is any of this tactical gear off the rack? I've been looking, and I haven't found any matches for his gear.

Glove2.PNG

Here's a better picture of the glove.

Boots.PNG
Update: 2/9/14
We found the boots!
Well, the soles of the boots at least. It looks like they are Bates GX-8's. The rest of the boot appears to be a custom job similar to the one done for Captain America's Avengers boots.

I've been scouring the internet for these boots and the knee pads. I've yet to find anything similar.

Building the Arm
There is a discussion going on about the arm here.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/winter-soldier-help-156039/

I will keep updating this as I find more useful information, and if I find good links with places to purchase some of the items listed, I'll throw those in as well.

-Will

Last edited:
The only thing I can say for sure that there are definitely Airsoft Skorpion pistols. There are very cheap bright colour models you could re-paint yourself that are fairly accurate that you can grab for about $20 out there.

Do you have any better shots of the pistols? I can't quite make out what they look like to help you with that one.

Do you have any better shots of the pistols? I can't quite make out what they look like to help you with that one.

As I find better pictures, I'll share them. Right now I'm scouring the internet for any screenshots or production stills that can prove to be beneficial.

- - - Updated - - -

The pistols are Sig Saur P220s according to this, they also have the disk launcher on here too.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

Sweet. They got that up quick. I found a better picture of the launcher.
Launcher2.PNG

It totally looks like a modified FN Mk13. The pistol has a little more detail, still can't make it out personally.

He has a COP 357 magnum on his right hip. It's a 4 barreled derringer style pistol and it is difficult to find replicas of.

Disc Launcher Update
The MK13 displayed in the trailer and the pre-production stills appears to be modified to fire discs. It’s unclear at this time as to if the bottom tube is still a grenade launcher or merely the bottom bit of the weapon, but the presence of 40mm grenades in TWS’ belt, would suggest that it still has that capability.
The airsoft version of the FN MK13 can be found here.

Disc Launcher - AirSplat

Disc Launcher 02.PNGLancer EGLM.PNG

There are three distinct differences that I can determine from pictures I have available to me.
1. The launcher tube has been moved lower on the frame. Normally the trigger is to the lower left of the tube. In this picture it is to the immediate left.
2. This tube has been modified from the stock FN MK13 launcher tube. The texture and detailing is different, however it looks like it’s entirely possible that it could be a modified version of the original tube.
3. Greeblies. I’ve been trying to locate better details for this bit of the weapon. Right now I can’t tell if they are anything more than non-specific weapon add-on greeblies.

So, in order for me to have a disc launcher that’s close to screen accurate, I may need to tear up an airsoft MK13. More on that when I pick one up.

COP01.PNGIntratec - TEC38.JPG
Tada!
I'm pretty sure the unidentified pistol is an Intratec Tec-38.
Sadly, I've been unable to find a reproduction. It doesn't look like a super popular model. It was only made for a short while during the 80's.

Attachments

• Intratec-TEC38.jpg
    Intratec-TEC38.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 798
Side1-Grenade.PNG 40mm.PNG
40mm Grenade
I've been looking at AirSoft replicas of 40mm grenades, and I haven't been able to find one that I feel perfectly screen matches the ones in the pictures above.
40mm 01.PNG40mm 02.PNG40mm 03.PNG
So, instead of dropping thirty bucks on something I'm going to destroy, I went looking for 40mm brass. I was unable to find any cheap 40mm brass, but I did discover there is a parts retailer that sells used training casings. I went ahead and ordered two, thinking I would just turn those in to viable props.
My current plan is to create a screen accurate shape and then do my first ever mold casting.

Extra Knife
It looks like I may have discovered where he pulled the knife from. There's a handle sticking out from behind his back that looks similar to the Gerber Mk II we've already identified. In the larger shot, he has the Gerber in his hand, so it's possible he's carrying two of them.

Last edited:
What is the strap on his chest even called? I don't even know what to look for. At first I thought it was a gun holster like in a few of the comics but there's nothing on it

What is the strap on his chest even called? I don't even know what to look for. At first I thought it was a gun holster like in a few of the comics but there's nothing on it

At present, it appears to be a custom harness of some sort. I've been looking for all of the costuming items and all the ones I've found have been detailed in this thread. I haven't found all the stuff that could possibly be off the shelf, like the boots, knee pads and waist pouches. When I know more, I'll post it here. Others are more than welcome to assist with finding out where stuff comes from.

It's possible that quite a bit of this will need to be fabricated by hand. You're ahead of the game with that arm you posted in the Arm Thread. McDrowbane has a pretty solid outfit together already and he's refining it for the MCU version.

I'm working on this costume, too, and the design for his outfit is killing me. The front part is pretty similar to how it was in the comics, but from the sides to the back, the design is a little hard to make out from the stills and trailer. Putting together everything, you can get a general idea of where everything goes.

As for the straps, I THINK it is more of a shoulder holster with a piece of strap that goes across the chest extra. His gun is held on that piece of hard material on his back, and it looks as though it has an "X" coming out of it to form the straps that go over the arms, kind of like this:

Tauris Holsters, L.L.C. - Custom Leather

I wish I could find something different and more accurate, but that is pretty much what it is doing, with the extra piece of webbing going across the chest.

Also for the knee pads, I was thinking of something a little different. His pants actually have a different piece of material that goes across the knee. Its the strap for the kneepad, but it kind of looks like it is sewn on to the pants themselves. What if you sew the material onto the pant legs while attaching some sort of clasp to hold the knee pad itself.

Last edited:
tumblrmo1wboapy91sphcda2333.jpg
Was browsing and found some more set photos. Apparently there are straps holding the kneepads. Was also able to find some more pics detailing the costume. Will put them up in a few.

Wow. Those are great. I've looked everywhere I can think of an I still have no clue who makes those boots.
Those are great photos. Thanks for adding to our little pile of info.

-Will

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back