The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

Yep, Barrett for sure.

Btw Hot Toys released pics of their Winter Soldier figure, should provide some additional reference shots for your builds.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151977082307344.1073742029.58690437343&type=1

10153804_10151977083792344_1052051913_n.jpg

1981826_10151977083487344_1583036326_n.jpg

10013321_10151977083422344_1014270728_n.jpg

This jacket is proving to be the most difficult piece to find.

My guess is the leather's a custom job, unfortunately. The outer jacket is pretty close to one I already have...but wearing it at a con would be super-hot...and wouldn't show off the arm, so what's the point? Lol.

My guess is the leather's a custom job, unfortunately. The outer jacket is pretty close to one I already have...but wearing it at a con would be super-hot...and wouldn't show off the arm, so what's the point? Lol.

Care to share the info on your jacket?

On the "jacket", one thing I have noticed in the higher res pics is that it does not look like a "jacket" at all to me. It looks like a vest with a sleeve coming from underneath it on the right side. The shoulder, which I originally thought was just the pleated back, has a recessed seam going all the way around and looks like it goes back into the main body part when he moves. It would, in my opinion, be much easier to make in this way, too, since the right arm side is a "vest" and the two sides match up pretty well. It would also allow the cyber arm to have hidden straps that connect it to the right side sleeve to keep both in place during movement.

My son has been wanting me to tackle this costume since he saw it, so been watching this thread closely. I may even try building the jacket and cyber arm first as it seems this is the part that will be the toughest (at least for someone with my lack of actual skill training). I think I have enough vinyl laying around to do a mock-up of it, anyway.

The leather piece, yes, I can see it as a vest. I'll try to post pics of the outer jacket when I can. As for the arm...yeah, been knocking my head against the wall about that, seeing as I'm not a sculptor, nor do I have a 3D printer.

kind of a silly question, but any ideas on a good wig? No chance I'd ever grow my hair that long:lol

This is the wig I purchased, from Arda wigs. It will require a little bit of styling though, but nothing crazy drastic. You should also be able to find something on ebay, though keep on eye on the quality - super cheapo and shiny costume wigs are pretty terrible, and you won't be able to style them much at all.

To give you an idea of what the wig I bought from Arda looks like, here's a progress photo of my WS - the wig has not yet been styled, so keep that in mind.
IMG_4395.jpg

This is the wig I purchased, from Arda wigs. It will require a little bit of styling though, but nothing crazy drastic. You should also be able to find something on ebay, though keep on eye on the quality - super cheapo and shiny costume wigs are pretty terrible, and you won't be able to style them much at all.

To give you an idea of what the wig I bought from Arda looks like, here's a progress photo of my WS - the wig has not yet been styled, so keep that in mind.
View attachment 304921

Well, now I need you to sell me one of those masks as well,lol

lol well if it helps any, I bought an airsoft mesh mask and modified it a bit, then added fabric over the mesh. The nose vent...thing is just foam. I had to cut and reshape the mask cause they're really made for guys and it was waaayy too big on my face. It's not 100% screen accurate but it's close enough to be happy with it. And lol after seeing the movie last night his mask just magically sits on his face, so it's good enough ;)

I thought it may be helpful to show how I tackled WS's hand. Hopefully it's useful to someone.

I bought a pair of cotton gloves (available at the supermarket, with the rubber gloves). These provided the base to adhere his Worbla 'fingers' to. I have short little fingers, so I only made the bits that would be seen. The back of the hand will be covered with silver stretch fabric, so I can still have a decent range of motion. It really only needs to be there for the areas that are visible in the glove. If you were super keen you could get/make a silver glove. I wanted the surface to be nice and smooth, and Worbla has a sandy texture, so I did a few coats of gesso, then applied body filler. Sanded it all, then hit it with a primer, and finally two coats of chrome spraypaint (though the pic shows after only one coat). I can't completely close my hand into a fist, but I can still close my fingers - you could probably tweak the amount of worbla underneath the finger so you get a bit more movement. I'm pretty hard pressed for time, building both WS for myself and Cap for my bf, so I don't know that I'll add the detailing on the fingers. Anywho, here's some images to give you an idea of the process :)

IMG_4407.jpgIMG_4419.jpgIMG_4420.jpg

As I've gotten more pumped for this movie, I've also noticed how much I'd like to do this costume. While I was watching trailers and taking some screencaps, I came across some B-Roll footage for the movie that has some nice steady shots and a few close-ups which might be useful. I especially noticed that around 15:20, going through a fight scene, you can see this right leg pretty well, and the shape of the twin knives blades, which I thought might help in tracking them down. He also pulls out the larger pistol at one point, but it goes by fast enough that I couldn't get a very clean view of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb3aQ5rtd7g

Nice work! With the fingerless glove he has on, those fingertips will look perfect. BTW, the movie's effing amazing and I had a great interview with Sebastian Stan today, so I'm pretty damned psyched. How to do the arm keeps me up at nite tho. Lol.

Thanks! Amg the movie is so good. So good. We've seen it twice now! The interview sounds like it was awesome! I'm going to be using Worbla for the arm, in two parts (similar to the arm used during filming). I don't exactly have WS's musculature so I made a foam suit for my arms and I'll use that as the base to shape the worbla over. We're just about to tackle it so fingers crossed it works, and if it does I'll share the process :)

Great work on the mask and glove mudget. I did my glove almost exactly the same way and we have been working on a Wonderflex arm. I don't have the muscle suit but my wife sculpted an arm on a mannequin. So far it is working out ok, you may have better luck with the suit underneath.

Did anyone see the TV spot for Cap 2 last night during Agents of SHIELD? It had a quick shot of the disc gun that WS uses on Nick Fury's SUV from an angle that I haven't seen before. The disc is much larger than I had thought and I think fits into that space between the top and bottom of the gun. Unfortunately I was not smart enough to have recorded the TV spot and was wondering if anyone had done so? Or at least seen screencaps from it?

Last edited:
That's a great, helpful pic of the 1/6 figure, thanks! The sneak peak that they played during AoS was a longer bit dealing with Nick being chased by police(?) and then WS shooting his explosive disc thing. I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet.

Thanks charkboy!

Not sure if it's helpful, but the disc launcher is only used that once. He tends to wield the grenade launcher more often, though he really churns through the weapons. The Skorpion he uses once, one of his pistols (it was too difficult to tell which one in the scene) just the once. He uses his knives quite a bit (I so want to learn how to do that!).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back