The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

I'm glad I am able to assist. I am working on this too, and want to get a good start on it, just so hard to get some decent pics. And yeah, those boots are killer. Cant figure out where those are from. The interesting this is the bottom. Not exactly military styled, looks very smooth. And I think one of the pics I put up with WS on the ground looks like there is a velcro strap going across the top, which is interesting. Thinking maybe some sort of motorcycle boots? Not sure.

And with the whole real costume vs. stunt costume thing, I was thinking that too with the knives. The back piece looks like it is missing something. Im guessing the piece that holds the gun was taken out. And if you look at the picture where they are laughing with each other, the front part of his jacket looks like it comes apart from the front. Those horizonal straps look loose, buttons maybe? I'm just glad I finally figured out there are 7 of them in the front.

There are three knives. At least. Two in the back, looks like they have some weaving across the handle. And the other Gerber one. Take a look at the pic of him on the ground. If you look at his holster on his right thigh, on the side to the right, it looks like there is a place that holds the other blade.
ws2.jpg
This is a different angle.

Short Update
It's been a quiet December as I've been working on a variety of gift related projects and the like, but I've been progressing slowly with the research and accumulation of prop bits for the costume.
I now own a COP 357 Airsoft, and I'm working on getting a copy of a TEC-38.
I've looked, and there aren't any airsoft or replica versions of the TEC-38. So, I've decided to try and create an inert version of the gun so I can actually carry it around with me on the costume. I've tracked one down, but it's in New Jersey and has been taking a while. Once I have more details I'll provide an additional update.

The Mask
Captain-America-The-Winter-Soldier-Set-Pic-Sebastian-Shaw-in-Costume.jpg
This is the best image I've found of the mask so far. It has a lot of small details that have been overlooked for the most part so far. I'm not certain on the material, but this feels like a completely custom job.
Has anyone seen anything like this anywhere?

Short Update
The Mask
This is the best image I've found of the mask so far. It has a lot of small details that have been overlooked for the most part so far. I'm not certain on the material, but this feels like a completely custom job.
Has anyone seen anything like this anywhere?

Reminds me of the neoprene lower face masks with neck guards people use for skiing. You can find them pretty cheaply. If you find a fabric that matches the sides, you could use the neoprene style ones as a pattern. The details look like molded pieces to me. Maybe glued on or directly attached/poured. you could make them out of latex... maybe some type of urethane, but I've never used anything like that so I couldn't tell ya what ones until I research it a lot more.

That mask is really hard to get a good pic of. Its the harder material up front, a second layer, then it looks like a third material stretching from around the cheek to Im guessing around the head. Cant even tell if it covers his ears -__-

Another issue Im having.....those dang straps!!!!

Yeah, gonna have to sew it and customize, no problem, that will be fun. But it is so hard to nail that color. I was thinking a dark brown, but the closet I got to was "olive drab."

1-1/2" Nylon Fabric Webbing, Olive Drab

Im thinking something like that. Its not quite black, and I think brown would stand out too much. I think that color of "olive" will look great against the weathered leather. Now the question is, the material. I have found nylon, and Im thinking that might just have to work. Though, cotton I think looks amazing. I found a good olive drab cotton webbing, but I think they only sell it in bulk :/

Found some more photos. My goodness...do these look nice o_O

tumblrmo26yy1yu91sq5jht.jpgtumblrmo26yy1yu91sq5jht-1.jpgtumblrmo26yy1yu91sq5jht-2.jpg

Now this isnt much of an update costume-wise or anything, but, its a shot of the bottom of the boots. Anyone make out that "X" design at the bottom of them? Not sure if that is anything to help with figuring out what type of boots they are.

captainamericathewinter-1.jpg

Oh yeah, no problem at all. We are all in this together. Im going to be getting some material for the vest and webbing soon, so I will be putting up some pics as soon as I can start sewing. Took me a while, but finally figured out how the vest comes together.

Speaking of materials....

Im waiting on the webbing, Im going to compare materials first. Im debated on either starting with a leather jacket or just getting the material and making it from scratch, since most of the costume itself is just pieces, versus an actual jacket. Here is some vinyl I was thinking of using.

Vinyl

Black Shang Vinyl Fabric has a good look to it, but I need to see it in person first. Thoughts?

I've been searching for an acceptable P226, but I haven't been able to find a chrome/satin/nickel one that I like.
So, I decided to buy a black one and make it all shiny. I went looking and found this on eBay.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389567273.686856.jpg
It was six bucks with free shipping, so I figured it was worth the risk. I got it in the mail today and I knew pretty quick it wasn't going to work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389567385.520910.jpg
This thing is tiny. My Glock 17 is up top for reference, then the P226 in the middle and my COP 357 to further illustrate how small this thing is.
It's not a total loss. I figure I'll give it to a niece or nephew or something. Be careful out there on those eBay buys. The $6 P226 is not to scale.

-Will

Last edited:
New Gun.
It's a Milkor MGL. When the US Marines carry them, they call it an M32. By the time this movie actually gets released, we'll be able to carry pretty much any primary battle weapon and there are good odds it will be screen accurate.

tws-gl02.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Got these too. Better look at the mask from the side. Apparently Bucky doesn't need ears.
View attachment 281684View attachment 281685

These are super helpful. I wonder if he had to have a weird hair cut to make the back of the mask work. If so, I'll probably sport a modified version. I don't really want to mess up my actual hair.

- - - Updated - - -

This is great. So much more detail for the mask.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back