My first stab at DREDD

bigdaz

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys,
Been lurking on here for a while but haven't really had anything to post until now. I have a production made helmet which is unfinished so I made a display that could double up as a Judge costume for Halloween and thought I'd share my budget adventure....

1) Bought some used motorcross boots and armor, bike leathers and elbow / knee pads from eBay - Total $170
boots.jpg jacket.jpgD3354_6.jpg
2) Added some armor and detailing to the pads and the boots. Fully repainted everything in black and army green $5
BOOTS 1.jpg

3) My original intention was to use the armor from eBay but unfortunately it was too small and all I could salvage was the back plate!The vest became a build using layers of foam board, athletic shirt material, zips, faux leather and nylon straps with quick release buckles. The shoulder bells were made flat and then formed by heating them in the oven before pressing them into a glass bowl to achieve the right shape. Each piece was painted and mounted onto a larger layer covered in the athletic material and was then either machine sewn or rivetted in to place for added strength. I made some gauntlets from the faux leather material and painted up a used pair of bike gloves that I had laying around. The badge was a SDCC promo item. - Total $100
07-10-13 172.JPG07-10-13 177.JPG07-10-13 178.JPG07-10-13 176.JPG07-10-13 196.JPG27-10-13 079.JPG

4) Every piece of the costume had a different tone of black which looked fake! So I weathered it all into a matching aged look using powdered grey tile grout. You just sprinkle it on and rub it in until you get the desired effect! Makes all the material look battered and worn - $6

full costume.jpg27-10-13 138.JPG

5) Once it was done... I took it out for a spin to a local Halloween Bash and now its ready to display!!
27-10-13 160.PNG 27-10-13 172.JPG

DREDD on a budget - a couple of weekends working on it and about $250ish in cash

Darren

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the kind words. I realised once I'd posted that I didn't show the LawgiverII I'd made.

27-10-13 010.JPG 27-10-13 019.PNG

This was basically a Nerf gun that I'd gutted and built up using self adhesive foam sheets. When I got the look I wanted, I sprayed the whole thing black and did some weathering. The screen was a graphic I put together and then printed out at Walmart for $0.15 :D The holster was construction foam with some added nylon straps and buckles. The Lawgiver and the holster probably costs me about $10 in parts and materials!!

I wore the costume at 2 Halloween parties and won $200 in prizes!! The costume is currently retired for this year and set up in my basement along with the rest of my prop collection.

DREDD Display.jpg

It was a really enjoyable build and I'm pleased with how it came out and from the responses. Thanks again

Darren

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the comments!! I wanted to pass on one of the things that I learned while I was doing the build and that is that you should always look for ready made available options. Unless you're one of those prop master whizz type guys it can prove more expensive and less effective actually trying to make certain peices from scratch. One example of this were the buckles that are used to connect the chest armor and the shoulder bells. I looked at these on a number of different threads and man those screen accurate ones are expensive... if you can even find them! I spent alot of time going through the aisles of Fabricland while I was looking for material and stuff (so much so that the ladies in there eventually new me by name!! lol) and these places have some pretty cool gear that looks the part straight out of the bag! The buckles I used came in an aged brass finish and were only $3 or 4 bucks each!! They even had zips and press stud kits in the same finish which worked perfect with the beaten dusty overall look I was going for!

QR Buckles.jpg

I guess what I'm trying to say is... look at every opportunity when you're planning your build and even look into places you normally wouldn't be seen dead in! If you'd told me in September that I'd be a regular in Fabricland in October... I'd have laughed in your face!! Lol :lol

Darren

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the kind words!! I've attached a couple of the only decent shots I've got of me actually wearing the costume (sober anyway! lol) The shoulder armor just like the rest of the costume was made out of construction foam and then painted. Since doing this one I've been looking into some of the posts on here and it's kinda given me the bug again!... DREDD 2 for Halloween 14 maybe?? lol

Costume 1.jpg

costume display 1.jpg

Hey Guys,
I forgot to touch on the DREDD belt buckle I used. This was an incredible find on eBay Judge Dredd Buckle Props Replica | eBay and cost $26 shipped any where in the world!!!! When it arrived I was really suprised at the quality... heavy and a really good size! Well worth a look!!

$(KGrHqZHJCYFI7KzrFkYBSPBsz849Q~~60_3.jpg$T2eC16ZHJH8FHQqI,,h,BSPBs1Jz)Q~~60_3.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back