Sons of Anarchy leather vest replica "patches" - all hand-made

PropArtist

Made this screen accurate SoA vest for a Halloween party this year.

Black leather vest.

Hand-inked Reaper art then filled in with black Sharpie with red acrylic paint for blood on sickle.

Rockers and lettering were hand-drawn in pencil on tight-weave canvas then cut out and painted in flat blue spray paint.

All patches were attached with Loctite PL Construction grade glue.

Everything received a dry-brush covering with a paste made from espresso grade coffee for the aged look. (planning to add another layer of "dirt")

M-16 was painted with an acrylic wash.

All was sealed with flat Krylon crystal clear.

The front patches are in the works.

Approximately 8 hours total.

side-note:"Tattoos" are transparent water-slide transfer decals with Laserjet printed artwork, then attached with Pros-aide and blended with translucent powder.

Goatee is high-grade synthetic hair attached with spiritgum and brushed with translucent powder for a more realistic appearance.

All tattoos are custom-made and printed on water-decal paper, spiritgum applied and dusted with translucent powder to cover sheen.

IMG_3663_zps30bba021.jpg

Hand inked reaper "patch" onto canvas:
IMG_3641_zpsfad740f8.jpg

Before aging: hand-made rockers with hand cut canvas lettering for 3D stitched effect:
IMG_3650_zps4a9f4d75.jpg

After aging:
IMG_3656_zpsd988dd60.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the super delayed response.....

Life can sometimes get in the way of our hobby.

The canvas I used is the pre-gesso'ed economy canvas often found at your favorite craft store.

The gesso allows for a smooth surface to work on, while the thinner stretched canvas works great when cut out.

After applying the Loctite PL Construction grade glue (same used for the SOA show and real-life biker gangs) I applied a layer of wax paper and did the old heavy book technique to ensure secure adhesion.

Overnite drying seemed to do the trick!

Although, I did have to reapply the glue at a few corners.

Hi there,

Nice costume!!

I know the letters were hand drawn but do you have any idea what font it actually is as the rocker patch font is different from their smaller patches?

Thanks!

I don't know if there is a font available.

Perhaps someone else may know of one that exists now.

When I made this there wasn't a font, so I had to hand-draw each letter based on screen grabs.

Hope this helps!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back