Star Destroyer: The Slowest Build

chris_s

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello,

I'm not one who seems to find the time or funds to work on all the multitude of project ideas I have floating around in my head. But this one has been building for the past few years now. And finally I'm at a place where I can begin to move forward on it.
...very slowly move forward on it. I will take what I can get!

Expect this to be one of the slowest builds on the board - for a number of reasons. First one being - I have two little ones at home, a 4 year old and a 3 month old. The second being 2 sister in laws (and their families and kids), my wife's mom and my own and my brother in laws sister and her family all live within a one mile radius. Which is great because their fabulous people - but that also means we're having someone over or we're walking over there nearly every night of the week.

And I'm going to ramble. But it's my build thread so you're stuck.

Ok. So now I can check a number of things off my list - some of which have been keeping from starting this over the past 4 years.

1. Find a beautiful supportive girl who is actually going to let me display this thing somewhere in our house once it's done and marry her. Check.
supportive_wife.jpg

2. Take an unfinished basement from four cement walls and a cement floor and convert it into a permitted basement apartment complete with kitchen. Only took 4 years but Check. (this project was my own personnel reward for finishing)
finished_basement.jpg

3. Myself with limited modeling skills and who hasn't actually built a model since middle school. Check.
never_build_a_model.jpg

4. Four year old who could at some point sneak upstairs, see the cool "rocket" and destroy the whole thing in a matter of seconds. Check.
4_yr_old.jpg

5. Four month old who requires constant holding and parenting and relieving of beautiful wife when I come home and who at one point glowed like Tron (see second photo). Check.

baby_1.jpgtron_baby.jpg

It's important to note that I don't care about accuracy. I am very detailed but as far as exactly replicating the studio model - nah. I'm more interesting with the scratch building fun and the process itself. As long as it looks right to me and has the right "feel".

Ok. So how to begin building this? I've been collecting every reference image I could find and closely reading and watching not only various star destroyer builds on here but tons of other modeling threads as well for the past 5 years or so.
I needed to figure out the basic shape of the ship before doing anything. So I began working on a paper mockup. Initially I was thinking of a length around 3 ft. But as most of my projects tend to do this grew in size.

(quick note - all of these photos I found in the public domain of the internet through google searches. I certainly want to be respectful though and if there are any issues around posting these please let me know and I will remove them)
Here were some of the reference photos I found that really helped. And using these was able to pull measurements for the shape.
ref_1.jpgref2.jpgref3.jpgref4.jpg

It seemed the original model makers simply took a rectangle, cut it diagonally, flipped one half around and put them together. That made sense to me. So that was how I approached it. I had reams of various paper in storage left over from college. The largest of which was 15.5" in width. Using that as a starting point I began taping together various sheets, cutting them and seeing how they looked.

Having one measurement and using the photos above I took measurements in photoshop. Eventually I arrived at a rectangle 15.5" x 41.25". Of course this was after numerous tries.
paper_models.jpg

Again, using the photos above and my best artistic eye I came up with this shape. For posterity's sake I've written the measurements on the paper. Which you can't make out so here they are. The triangle is 13 3/16" x 3.25". The height of the end is 15/16".

cs_sd1.jpg

Guessing at a tench depth I came up with 1". So now having that it was simple to cut out the shapes for the internal structure.
Before racing ahead I wanted to be sure. So I upgraded my paper model to a foam core model. Oooo!
Here is the outcome of that effort.

cs_sd3.jpgcs_sd4.jpgcs_sd5.jpgcs_sd6.jpgcs_sd7.jpg

It took some studying to figure out the placement for the very back internal piece. It's hard to discern where the back wall of the engine area is. The photo of the original that ended up deciding me was this one:
cs_sd8.jpg

I believe that gap you see is where the back wall begins. So that is where I set mine.

Next steps: My plan is to use wood for the internal "bulkhead" structure and then head to home depot to see what would be best to use as rods to hold it all together. My plan is to have two mounts. One on the bottom of the model towards the back. The other on the side in the back like the original. So obviously whatever I use to hold it all together needs to be plenty strong. As for mounts I'm still undecided. I may be able to cobble something together from home depot - or look into a strong camera mount. I'm leaning towards the camera mount simply because of the swiveling it will allow me to do which will make working on the model MUCH easier.
Just have to find one strong enough.

As for the top structure of the model - I'm not worried about figuring that out yet. I'm going to tackle the primary hull shape and then move on to that. Though I go back and forth on that.

There is a tap plastics on my way home from work. For the plastic sheeting I'm looking at using sheet styrene that is 1/8" thick.

I'm excited to finally be at a place I can begin this project. It's hard to watch all the fantastic modeling being done on this site without one to work on yourself. I'm going to really try hard to post frequent updates on my progress. My biggest hurdle is time and occasionally funds.

I'm open to suggestions, thoughts and critique on any part of this!
Thanks for reading!

Chris

Great work so far! I'm really glad you're able to do this, and by the way, don't worry about time. The fact that you're doing it all makes you supremely awesome, and we can all wait on updates.

- Master Tej -

Acquire as much reference as possible,.... and just "look and study" the images before building anything permanent. Don't be afaid to fail, it's a great way to learn. Depending on how detailed you go, take your time. Looking forward to future updates.

Thanks for the support guys!
Had to do some sink repair so I was in homedepot yesterday. Looking around they have 1" square aluminum square tubes.
It would be easy to brace those to the wooden frame and being square would be easy to integrate a support system for the mount points. They seem like they would be strong enough. Though actually that would be a question for those here who have built an SD before:

How much do they end up weighing?

I'm guessing (and I always way over do it when I guess) is somewhere in the 35lbs range. Though because the mount points are so far towards the back that is a lot of weight that structure will need to support. There were also steel tubes that were slightly bigger there. Which would be infinitely stronger but weight a ton. So then the weight of the armature itself could become a problem.

Before actually building the armature I am going to consider placement of lights, the hanger bays, their lighting and where best to place access points.
Hope to make it to a camera shop this week to begin looking at mounts and then brainstorm how to firmly attach one that can be removed.

Thanks for reading!

Chris

You're off to a great start. I began my SD back in mid 2009- and it's "getting there". You might find that just using some regular pine dowels between the wooden joists is strong enough. I used basswood sheets for my joists with pine dowels, and balsa strips to add support for the hull sheets.

DSC_0398.JPG

You might want to check out The Star Destroyer Project page (http://www.stardestroyerproject.com/Pages/default.aspx)- this is the project that inspired me- he has lots of great pictures of his build which gave me ideas.

I can relate to the family concerns- I have four kids and I much of what I've gotten done has been at night and during weekends.

Take your time, and enjoy the work. When you get frustrated or it feels hopeless, walk away and go play with your kids. It'll be there when you come back.

You should pick up a copy of "Sculpting the Galaxy" as it has a bunch of close up ESB Star Destroyer pics. As well as a bunch of other cool stuff.

I think I know the pain of feeling like you've taken FOREVER on something that seems like it should have taken less time..... I myself spent about 14 years building a star destroyer, starting in about 7th grade, than little by little working on it over the years. Its completely unporportioned, mostly, way to short. But I'm still happy with it....and just last week decided to add more detail, making it about 20 years in the making. Made out of cardboard, posterboard and old torn apart toys. So aim for 13 years and you still have me beat...haha. I have wondered how long the ILM guys took to build theirs, plus ALL the other models with such a hard deadline on them.
Anyway, good luck and study study study those ref pics.

Seriously - those ILM guys must have been machines!

Only a small update. I completely redid the foam core model. Looking more closely at reference photos (and thanks to styreneguy and trooper linked images) I believe my original was not proportioned correctly. The new proportions I have are:

Hull size - a rectangle 1 : 2.746
The angle of the hull - a rise/run of 1 : 4.6

Having put that together it looks exactly right to my eye. I think the most telling view is the engines.
cs_sd9.jpg

Still thinking about mounts. Though that has to be my next item so i know how to build the armature around it.

I believe I've figured out the internal armature and support system. I want to be able to have the ability to display the model by attaching it to a wall or standing on the floor. Standing on the floor is pretty straight forward - getting something to allow it to hang from the wall is more difficult.
For the armature I'll be using strong plywood for the internal "bulkheads" and 1" aluminum tubing to string those together.

For the wall support I'll use steel tubing - somewhere in the 1.5 - 2" area attached to the internal armature. A smaller steel tube will slide into that and lock in place using a pin. I'll use magnets to make that part of the hull removable for that area and the spot on the bottom for the stand.
Here is a quick diagram.

sd_support.jpg

Now I just need to pick up the materials. While rebuilding my basement stairs to bring them to code I had to cut away a bit of the floor joists. I replaced them with a custom steel piece I had manufactured. So I'll just head back to that company with exact measurements and have the support made.

edit: removed double post

Contrary to popular perception I have been working on this. ...albeit very slowly.
First up - finish the piece of art my Mom asked me to make for her a few years ago. It's a 7 layer custom designed (by me) and hand cut out paper cut. Each layer separated by a piece of plexi so it has some depth when you see it in person. And it's about 45" across. Custom build the frame....check off almost 100 hours of my free time....
20141109_113831.jpeg
20141109_113733.jpeg

My next step on the SD project was to order the styrene hull. Got those pieces from tap plastic. Picked them up and washed them down.
20140624_195257.jpg

At that point I began tracing onto them where the shuttle bays needed to go - how far in the trench would extend - and where I could place my internal armature support pieces. It's hard to see all the markings but they are there. Having done this previously with the paper model this step only required a small amount of tweaking. Of course I revisited all the measurements to make sure Everything was turning out the way I wanted it to.

20140629_105719.jpg

Once I had this solidified I went to work on the internal supports. I certainly wanted this to be strong since both the mount points would be in the rear of the ship. 1 out the side of the ship towards the engines where ILM had placed a mount. And one on the bottom under the dome or shield generator. I picked up a sheet of 1/2" hardwood. Using my new miter saw I had purchased (I LOVE this saw!) I cut out the support 'bulkheads'.

Luckily the saw came with a blade placement light - so I could see exactly where the blade was going to cut. Since I angled every edge of the support bulkheads so they all slanted correctly and the hull lays completely flat against them this came in VERY handy. Those laser sights on various tools I've always found to be slightly off. But this was very accurate since the blade itself was casting the shadow.

20140725_195226.jpg

It took me cutting two sets before I had a full set I was happy with and were accurate. My plan was to use square aluminum tubing to tie everything together and support the model. I traced out where the square holes needed to be. Using a large drill bit I drilled an initial hole and then used a router table to clean up the edges. I then used a square piece of wood wrapped with sand paper to smooth the edges and ensure they were the correct size.

20141020_132826.jpg

I picked up a drill press to ensure my holes were perfectly square. By sandwiching the wood supports between L-brackets on the aluminum tubing everything came out square and aligned. Which was exciting to see happen. I hadn't come up with the system on how to mount the vertical rod coming out of the dome on the bottom. Browsing home depot what I found was a 5 foot 1/2" steel electric conduit pipe. Then I also found in the same section 3/4" conduit couplers that the 1/2" pipe just passed through. Those were about 2" long. I got two of those - a step down that screwed the coupler and stopped the 1/2" steel pipe from sliding all the way through and coming out the top. I then bolted those onto the wooden support structure I had placed just above that dome.

20150107_212643.jpg
20150107_212632.jpg
20150107_212813.jpg

what I'm left with is a very strong armature that is ready for me to begin skinning - only temporarily of course since I'll need to install all the electronics before sealing it up. But I'm a long way from that.
My next step is to cut the out the shuttle bays, the cut areas on the edge of the trench and screw the top and bottom pieces into the armature. From here I'll construct the upper bridge tower. Then I'll take that apart and begin detailing while planning out my lighting and electronics. I'm finding more time to work on this so will hopefully have another large update in just a few months.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back