Anybody tried modding a motorbike visor for their Dredd 1995 helmets?

BeastMaster

I know that the movie prop visor is made up of two visors, the outer clear and the inner dark tint. check out the inner helmet image on this site: Judge Dredd / Judge Dredd's Helmet (Sylvester Stallone)

The plastic is pretty thick and looking at helmet visors on ebay they have a nice round shape to them which prompted me to think they may have modified one of these.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the size of these visors as motorbike helmets are rather big. Any thoughts?

I bought a BILT BLH 4/6 Helmet Faceshield - One Size, Dark Smoke motorcycle visor (amazon). I wasn't sure about the size either, however, based off those props tore images, the second one from the right, it appears that they had to trace and trim the shape of the helmet onto the visor, then cut it out. That's the only thing I think of.
I never bothered to get a second visor for the frost effect, at this point, the helmet is the essence of dredd.

In addition, I was going to buy a clear visor, and spray it with dark window tint along with the frosted edge, though that proved too time consuming given that Halloween is around the corner.

These are the ones I was looking at :) if trimmed do you think it would fit in ok? Can you show pics? The only thing is the little tab at the bottom. Though I imagine that can be sanded off smoothed and polished. Wonder if anyone here knows if they really did use helmet visors and if so what specific ones?

Yep! I'll take pics tomorrow of the visor inside the helmet before I apply the bondo. I'm sure most, if not all people have used cycle visors at some point. And yes, I know the tab you're talking about! I'm going to Dremel it off , then lightly sand it smooth so no one will tell.

image.jpg
The edges of the upper half will be taped off in the shape of the helmet.

I'll keep you posted.

One thing I forgot to mention, I have a big head :p (24in circumference)
I did know beforehand that I will have to trim the visor.

Prior to finishing my pepped helmet, I gave the file an extra inch to account for the resin and foam padding once its all finished. So far my third helmet is better than the first two disasters. I posted my thread here somewhere. You should look at the pictures :)

Cool will check out your thread :) I look forward to seeing your results with that visor and that darn tab! hopefully it sands off smooth :)

I had a mishap before I could do any bondo work. When I was measuring out the cuts for the visor, I realized my helmet was not square!! Like one side of my visor was not flush with the other side, so now I'm stuck. I think I'm going to cut my helmet right now and have to wait Till tomorrow Again .

I have a visor sitting on my shelf ready for when i upgrade my dredd helmet. it's looking ok right now, kinda too scared to take out the visor i have and risk mussing it up.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back