Silicone mask help

40016a

Alright I want to sculpt out of clay a bust. I then want to make that bust into a mask. I plan on using platsil gel-10 for the silicone. Not sure what kind of clay. Im also curious about how I turn the bust into a mask. I am aware of the method of just pouring the silicone over the bust but dont want to take this route. Any help is appreciated.

As I asked just about a week ago, the answer I received is Neill Gorton's DVDs are the way to go. And boy are they a godsend; I know they're expensive but I'll quote what others have said "they're worth their weight in gold." You could also pay for VOD and rent each of them for 6 months, which if you need all of them will total out to about $100 USD sans the Aging With Prosthetics DVDs. As I'm a fellow "noobie" getting into this like yourself, I don't have any sage like advice except that Mr. Gorton's DVDs are truly phenomenal. Many people here can give you direction but if you want a full how-to those are the way to go.

I'd like to tag on a question for those that respond here, I did rent the Creating Character Prosthetics in Silicone DVDs, would you also suggest getting the Art of Silicone Prosthetics as well?

Last edited:
Not sure how big of a mask you are doing, full head, just face, or just small appliances on the face. To make sure it will fit you, I would sculpt on a lifecast of your own head. And as for the type of clay, DO NOT use anything with sulfur in it. If you are using Plat-Sil, it is platinum cured and the sulfur will react with the platinum and the rubber will NEVER set up. Found that out the hard way a few years back.

Not sure how big of a mask you are doing, full head, just face, or just small appliances on the face. To make sure it will fit you, I would sculpt on a lifecast of your own head. And as for the type of clay, DO NOT use anything with sulfur in it. If you are using Plat-Sil, it is platinum cured and the sulfur will react with the platinum and the rubber will NEVER set up. Found that out the hard way a few years back.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned this. A lot of people use Monster Maker's clay. Personally I use Chavant NSP Medium. It's $8 per two pounds from my local supplier.

The process of making a full head silicone mask is very complex and has a steep learning curve. If you are just wanting a specific mask you cant buy elsewhere and you don't really want to learn how to do these type of masks I might suggest you have someone else make it for you. The cost of commissioning it will be far less than making it yourself. There's a laundry list of materials you need to buying to do just one mask and a lot of people have these on hand already while you'll be buying them for one use. Most molds for making silicone masks are made from fiberglass with a gelcoat surface or silicone themselves with a fiberglass jacket but some are made from stone as well. Then there comes the issue of painting the actual mask itself and then again there are a lot of supplies to buying there and a curve to learning how to best use them again. In the end unless it's a combo of "learning" to do it as well as "making" the mask itself the cost will be several times just having it made for you.

I hope I'm not putting you off trying I'm just being frank and honest.
Woody

I understand there is alot and I am thinking this is something I want to do. I have the time money and artistic ability. Im just woundering how to take it from a clay bust to a full head mask.

In a nutshell. You sculpt your prosthetic on a lifecast of the subject you will be applying the finished prosthetic to. After done sculpting you make of a mold of the cast out of fiberglass, plaster, or other methods. You'll need to break the mold into at least 2 pieces to make removing it possible, but 3 is usually better for sculpts that have a lot of texture. Once you've cleaned out the moulds and lifecast, you inject your casting material into the mold and you have a full head mask. Once again, this is a minimal description. If you are serious about going about it, I would recommend you pick up Neill Gorton's DVD. Very detailed and thorough.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back