Wolverine X1 & X2 Street Jackets Done! UPDATED 8/7

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
I know there's a generic thread on these jackets already but I wanted to start my own so it could be discussed directly. Also, there clearly are several others working on this and I want to avoid any confusion and just address what mods or changes I'd need to get mine up to your standards.

For now I only posted this 3/4 back pic because I goofed the collar. I'm currently changing it and once it's ready I'll post more.

The yellow/orange color is exact. I pulled some strings and got an exact swatch. :)

Dont be alarmed by the shiny nature of the skin. It's mostly the camera flash and it's also the prototype.
I just wanted to chime in and show where we're at with it so far. :)

The screen used one is heavily weathered. Once mine is beat up a bit, it should look pretty close to the real one. Making replicas of weathered items always raises questions on accuracy, but we have to all start somewhere and see if the process of aging it will give us what we want in the end.

Also, it will be approx 2 inches longer on the torso. Ya' like my butt? :p

backpty.jpg

The X1 and X2 are similar in cut. I expect to offer both of those at the same time and depending on how much interest there is in the 3rd one I can easily do it also.
Just remember...weathering is everything for this to look like what you've all seen on screen. Right now it looks so 'new' that it's a far distance from the movie look...but some distressing, aging and weathering should do the trick just fine. Oh, and tearing off one of the arm stips will help too.....

More to come. Details to follow in the J/Y...it'll be affordable and even more so depending on how many I have to make. The more made...the cheaper they'd be..but I think my target price will be interesting just the same.
I'm almost ready with it. :)

David

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say, thank goodness. I am IN....

Can we see the front? Also, don't bring the jacket up too much.... The problem with many wolvy jackets is that it is just too long...it should show MUCH of the butt and just below belt level...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Mantis @ Jan 29 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]1407187[/snapback]</div>
Let me be the first to say, thank goodness. I am IN....

Can we see the front? Also, don't bring the jacket up too much.... The problem with many wolvy jackets is that it is just too long...it should show MUCH of the butt and just below belt level...
[/b]

Hey Dave,
Sounds good...
I've taken the jacket apart somewhat so I cant post any front pics just yet but the collar will be ready in a day or so, so they'll be up shortly.

As for the length, I agree with you and I'll admit I'm a bit unsure. My prototype is a size 42 and the lenth is 25 inches from the base of the collar to the end of the jacket. That should be a good length for a size 42, but it just seems short to me, but then again, I now wear a 44 or a 46 so...:) Of course, each size up will be slightly longer but I always make my prototypes in a 42 so my judgement isnt clouded by what I'd personally wear instead of a proper 'good fit for the public'.

There's a lot of good info on this jacket, and a lot of conflicting info on it too so basically I'm just approaching this they way I would any other replica. Trusting my instincts...and you all for critiques and suggestions when I post the full thing. :)

Once it gets going the turnaround time will be about 6 weeks for all of them. I hope my track record for all the other replica garments I've done in the past will add credibility to where this will ultimately go once ready. :)

David

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigJoe88 @ Jan 29 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]1407225[/snapback]</div>
i wasnt planning on purchasing a damn thing anytime soon, but you sir opened my eyes :)
[/b]

Prop collecting usually is an eye opening experience :)

Guys I posted an Interest thread in the J/Y just to see what kind of possible interest this really can generate. Just chime in there if you think the ultimate in cool would be to own one of these.... :love

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=124168

David:)

That looks great David.

Since my X-Suit is X2 I'm interested in seeing what you come up with for the X2 jacket.

Well done as always sir.

If I remember there was some nice pics of the X3 jacket in the Wolverine jacket thread, if you need them. Though I'm sure you already have seen them. haha
The X1 jeacket i slooking good so far.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Mantis @ Jan 30 2007, 04:46 AM) [snapback]1407682[/snapback]</div>
Wondering if you will be going a little darker on the brown?
[/b]

Possibly. Again due to the wear and tear 'look' of the movie one it's tough to nail down a real accurate color on a new skin. I do think I'll go a little darker though. I was fortunate on the goldish color.
I do have a question about the goldish colored inserts in the forearm sleeves. Any one know for sure if the X1 jacket did have that in there or if it was just the same tan color?

David

I know you have all seen these pics before BUT I would want the jacket to be a dark, rich brown, no gold in the sleeves...and check out the length of the jacket:

wolverine107.jpg

Sleeve gussets should be the same color as the jacket leather... NOT gold colored.

As soon as I get my jacket from Vanson (should show up this week), I'll post pix of it. I did go with the really dark brown as opposed to the "medium tan" color that most of the previous jackets ordered went with. So, we should have good comparison pix between the dark brown and the medium tan color now.

- J.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dijinn @ Jan 30 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]1407939[/snapback]</div>
Sleeve gussets should be the same color as the jacket leather... NOT gold colored.

As soon as I get my jacket from Vanson (should show up this week), I'll post pix of it. I did go with the really dark brown as opposed to the "medium tan" color that most of the previous jackets ordered went with. So, we should have good comparison pix between the dark brown and the medium tan color now.

- J.
[/b]

Thanks for the sleeve thing. :) Personally I wasnt sure about that and I do look forward to seeing yours too.

Now the brown color....:)

First...that pic above is not a good one to base this all on. The jacket is wet, so the color just looks darker. Also, when it comes to browns, tans and earth tones like that, each and every time you see the same jacket in a different setting, under different lighting or outdoors it's just going to look like a different color. I do agree that mine needs to be darker and it will be, no question there but after reading through the other Wolverine Jacket thread entirely, I think that some confusion came out of some analysis of the jacket.

To me it's pretty cut and dry. Here's what I mean....
What exactly is the goldish color?
Fortunately I got a piece of the original so mine is 100% true to the screen used one but if you compare my pic to the screen caps of the jacket...his goldish areas look darker and more washed out. Why?? All the reasons I mentioned above plus add that the jacket was heavily weathered for the movie....after the leather was tanned and the jacket was assembled.

So what exactly is the brownish color? That I cant be sure 100% and was not as fortunate to get that swatch but...I do agree that it's darker than what I've got for now. I will go with a darker shade but for my prototype I went with my gut feelings.
What I think is it's not as dark as the pic above but it is darker than what I've so far done.

I hope what I'm saying and where I'm coming from makes sense for this. Replicating garments can be easy or it can quickly become 'over thought' and then nothing but confusion comes of it.
If the darker tone of brown/tan is the main concern here then it's quickly remedied. Seriously...:)

Dave I remember your jacket and even have pics of it. Let me see if I can find them. Personally I always thought that was too dark...but let's post that and all give it some thought together. Maybe that is infact the way to go.. :)

Sound cool?
:)

David

To be honest, my jackets from Vanson were a bit too lite...I kid you not. There was a time when we had DRY shots of his screen used jacket and it is a dark WALNUT, not a medium brown....just want this to be the GREAT jacket it can be...not trying to be a nusance here but EBAY is filled with the wrong colored Wolvy jackets and it is irritating.

:)

h18.jpg

Excellent... :)
Yea I have a few pics of that jacket....and no, you're not being a nusance...LOL
I agree that we all simply want it to be right. Personally I'm willing to do the work and share it all with you guys as I go along because I think there's strength in the community as a whole when building from the ground up...but we need to be objective. :)

If the style, design and cut of my replica meets everyone's approval...then that's one down.:)
If the Goldish color is on the money...then two down..:)

The brown color seems to be the issue we're all having..and I agree that mine so far is too light.....so let's figure it out. That pic you posted of one of yours is the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of. :)

David

wow thats a nice looking jacket

i have a wested that has been made with -distressed leather, and i think its real close to the "screen jacket"
i have been considering hitting it with some oil to darken it up.

you may want to check out some distressed leathers, they make the look of the jacket.

as far as your pattern, that looks really good, well the back does anyways :p

what kind of leather are you using to make them? cowhide? lambskin? etc....

i may be selling my wested jacket to buy one from you depending on the price, my wested was about $300, can we expect yours to be in that range or mor/less than?

im glad you nailed the way the back is cut, so many replicas stop the waist stripe right at the side(even wested)

i will be impatiently waitng for more details

heres one showing the distressed leather of my jacket

keep us up to date...

OK...LOL...
I also found a pic of your jacket Dave..and I should have a lot more too.
The problem is my ugly mug is in it..... :lol

Guys let's use this pic as a starting point.

me.jpg

-Do you see the brown to be correct?

-Do you see the brown to be too dark?

-Do you see the brown to be too light?

Let's go from there and see where we end up. :)

h8ter18 thanks for posting that pic. To me that base tan color is pretty bang on. I dont agree with the color of the stripes but the base of the jacket would be the way I'd instinctively go. That's why I think this now is more important that ever regarding the color. I'd like for us all to use that pic of mine here as a basis to form an opinion..(from Mantis' jacket)..then I'll go from there.

Cost of mine? So far I can say less than $400.00 but no final price until I finish the prototype but it will be under $400.00 and made with my usual standard of quality. I think we can nail the color together. I'm willing to be open minded about it...even though I just dont see it that dark....BUT, let's work together and figure it out. If we all ultimately see it as dark...then that'll be the direction I also take with mine. :)

David

well thats the $64k question, for the screen type jacket you would want a distressed leather, as far as the original jacket goes it would be a dark brown, the brown in the pic would probably be close, maybe just slightly darker.

you talked about the length in your first post, i would say not to make the jacket longer, it should hit right about the belt area, maybe in the middle of where your belt is would be great.

here is a pic i tried to clear up so you can see the colors, the stripes look like they are a light brow/tan color in this picture

you can also see the length.

oh yeah and just some small details not to leave out..
the zipper pull is on the left side
and the front pockets zip down to open and up to close.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back