Dork Vader's 2013 Halloween Costume Entry: Anakin Skywalker AOTC for 7 year old son

Eugene

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My son asked me to make him an Episode 2 Anakin Skywalker costume for this Halloween. The last Jedi costume I made on commission was about 4 years ago. I had to rely on memory to construct everything from the outer tunic, inner tunic, cloth tabbards, obi sash, leather belt, etc. On top of that, everything had to be scaled down using my son's clothing as a rough sizing guide.

Here's the start of the outer tunic. I wanted to contruct it in the style of the Prequel Trilogy, so I added shoulder tucks.

I sewed the bottom panel to the tunic, cloth tabbards (hard to see in pic), and the obi sash. I made the outer tabbards out of pleather and sprayed them dark brown with Nu-Life spray. The pleather tabbards were done in an 8 panel construction with the proper seams at the shoulder and the waist. I scaled the leather belt by making it 1/4" thinner in width. I scored the lines in the belt and belt pieces. The blue tape is securing the loop pieces until the E-6000 adhesive dries. I had an extra screen-accurate Anakin buckle used in Episodes 2 and 3.

More to follow in a little while...

Last edited:
Re: Dork Vader's 2013 Halloween Costume Entry: Anakin Skywalker AOTC for 7 year old s

I made the pants with an elastic waistband so it wouldn't be a struggle for my kid to use the potty.
AB351628-2733-4C20-AFED-BB5C5FEB7348-5886-000007C968BEFD2D_zps28ffb3c9.jpg

The boots came from DSW. I added spats which I stitched together with dark brown pleather. They Velcro onto the boot and have 3 straps which wrap around each boot.
84E95D05-00B4-49B1-9B80-5584E4B0A145-5886-000007C97BB83739_zps326f4a69.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

I shortened a clip-on braid and wrapped colored string on it to make the Padawan braid.
34F95EB1-9966-4970-A661-0D586E6C73C4-5886-000007C974C029E8_zps0fcd1c25.jpg

Re: Dork Vader's 2013 Halloween Costume Entry: Anakin Skywalker AOTC for 7 year old s

I had some leftover parts from prior projects, so onto the kid's belt they go.

I added button studs and a Covertec clip.

The energy capsules were made from Staedtler pen caps and Plastruct hemispheres.

Last edited:

Both hair pieces attached.

Inner tunic completed.

All of it put together for the proof photo.

Wow, looks really good I'd say! A lucky son you have, yes hmm... I wish I could sew. Are you making a scale-down lightsaber as well?

Yes, I'll post a pic of the scaled-down, PVC pipe/foam lightsaber soon. My son carried a Hasbro child's FX lightsaber for Halloween. Here's a father and son pic of the Halloween parade at his school.

I just uploaded this pic to the gallery. (Trying to figure out how to turn the photo clockwise.)

The finishing touch to my kid's costume was a scaled-down, scratch-built lightsaber hilt. It started off as a section of 3/4" PVC pipe and a pipe connector which I grinded down to an angle. The other parts to this build included a bottle cap for the end, T-track made from foam, greeblies made from magic sculpt, and screws that I found in the garage.

Some model paint and assembly resulted in this.

Here's the homemade hilt next to a Master Replicas FX hilt for size comparison.

The lightsaber hilt hangs from the belt with a Covertec clip.

A lightsaber safety lesson is next on the to-do list.

Thanks for the kind words!

His lightsaber looks great. I wish I could sew half as well as you. I had a heck of a time with my Jango Fett flak vest. Thankfully it is covered with armor and a backplate.
well done

Thanks so much. You've inspired me to tackle a Boba Fett for my daughter. Great stuff!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back