Star Trek, "The Monster Maroon" Technical Manual

0neiros

Master Member
One of our Shirt Tail Members here David Pipgras has written a book now available on Amazon -

Star Trek - The Essential Guide to Starfleet Uniforms: 2278-2350 : Class 'A' Officer Duty Uniform "The Monster Maroon": David Pipgras: 9781492904410: Amazon.com: Books

Go to the link and you can click on "Look Inside" to get an idea.

If you want a good Trek Technical Manual to add to your collection, OR want to make your own "Monster Maroon" This is the book for you. As a costumer this book details all the materials used to construct this uniform, allowing you to go all out if you have the money for "Screen Accurate" or something a little easier on the wallet, but still looks good at a KAAAAAHHHHHNNNNN!

David is a longtime friend of mine, he's been here at the RPF off and on for quite a while, he doesn't post much, as he's very busy (as in taking 8+ months to research this book) and his Mac just doesn't seem to like the RPF when he does try to post. He did all the Artwork for one of the Trek RPGs a few years back, and if you go to Star Trek.com's store, look up "Star Fleet Academy Cufflinks" That's his artwork, which they (Ahem) "Borrowed", I know because I have that artwork on a 2003 Floppy Disk, about 8 years before their cufflinks came out.

He has spent months on the book and about $2k on making a Screen Accurate Monster Maroon for himself. It's at a discount right now of $20.18 from $24.95.

Not to blow my own horn, but I consider myself to have one of the most accurate Monster Maroon replicas out there.

I just leafed through the preview, and going on my own knowledge this is as intricate as it gets.

One caveat- unless you have knowledge in making a tailor made suit, I would suggest taking the materials to professional tailor.

I had mine made in 1995 by a professional costume maker (who did television/movie work) in Toronto. She did the base work then had me go to a high end tailor who took my measurements. The tailor was responsible for attaching the sleeves to the shoulders. Apparently there is a very specific (and fussy) way they go on that creates little "humps" at the seam giving it that military suit look.

This along with the interfacing in the breast panels gives it that stiff suit look- otherwise it tends to look like a big red blanket. ;)

And while my MM did not cost me 2 grand, I have invested about $13 to $1400 in it over the years. I would expect to spend at least this much today for an accurate replica.

I already own a MM, however I might pick this book up anyway for my own enjoyment. :)

PS- the costume maker was working off the Lincoln Enterprises (now Roddenberry.com) MM jacket pattern. She actually found a "flaw" in the pattern which she corrected herself (my memory is a little sketchy but I think it had to do with the front panels). I'm not sure if this flaw has been corrected since then if you buy the pattern from Rod.com (it will definitely be there if you buy an old Lincoln Ent. pattern).

Kevin

Last edited:
Yeah, he has a seamstress doing his. So far the part that was the biggest pain for her is the Ribbing in the turtleneck. The #1 PITA item to get is the chain as the manufacturer went out of business. In fact the only way Dave got some was thanks to a Member in South America hooking him up with some leftover he had. I know we have had some chain makers on this site in the past, I'll tell you right now, if you have the ability and can reproduce that chain, you'll make money off of it. This book is good to have if you are just a Tech manual Collector and not a Costumer.

does anyone know if this is still available anywhere? would love to pick up a copy but seems sold out/unavailable everywhere

Hello all, I purchased the MM pattern from Roddenberry store about two months ago now and have most of my materials cut aside from interfacing and the white interior of the front panels.

Does anyone here have some insight or tips for assembly? I’m trying to get this thing good enough for my fiencee’s parent’s Halloween party to show the family my nerd side haha.

Any help would be fantastic!!! (Sorry if i’m ‘necro posting’ :/ )

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back