Orci and Kurtzman Planning Cinematic Universe for the Universal Monsters

Oh lord, aren't these the two clowns that wrote the Bayformer movies? Oddly enough they did good on the new animated series for the most part but apparently hey can't leave anytime alone. They're not going to go with the classic design because they won't get kids into the theater and that's where the money is. They'll be all hip and trendy and look like something off the CW channel or the pretty vampire shows.

They already have movies like Monster Squad and Van Helsing.

However, No reason not to see more monster movies like these in the cinemas. Ghost stories and Demonic possession films are a bit overdone for the horror genre at the moment.

Having the director for Mama now attached as director for the new Mummy film sounds interesting.

Using terminology like Cinematic Universe is bothersome though. No need.

They're working on Star Trek, that sleepy hollow show, Spiderman, Ender's Game and now this? At first I was thinking "Too much at once?" than I thought "IS THERE NO ONE ELSE??"

They're working on Star Trek, that sleepy hollow show, Spiderman, Ender's Game and now this? At first I was thinking "Too much at once?" than I thought "IS THERE NO ONE ELSE??"

They're the flavor of the month for writers just like JJ Abrams is the flavor of the month for producers/directors.

Dark Universe Scrapped

http://collider.com/dark-universe-dead-the-mummy/

Welp, I can't say I feel bad for them. A shared-universe with the classic Universal Monsters? I'm in. I mean, with the later movies, they were practically the first shared universe in cinema anyway.

But Kurtzman? Ugh. And making them action movies instead of straight up horror films? Double UGH.

So I'm not too broken up that their scrapping the idea. Too bad though-- cause done right, it could have been awesome.

Re: Dark Universe (Justice League Dark)

The DCU is already dark as it is... if it gets any darker it will be nothing, but black on the screen!

SethS's thread was merged earlier with the wrong thread and has now been added to the proper thread. (This is also what happens when a studio can't come up with a new name for their franchise)

Glad this got scrapped now. This is an example for being too ambitious with building cinematic universes before building good stories and characters. Standalone horror movies featuring these classic characters can still work and I hope Universal considers them with better creative teams.

Last edited:
Glad this got scrapped now. This is an example for being too ambitious with building cinematic universes before building good stories and characters. Standalone horror movies featuring these classic characters can still work and I hope Universal considers them with better creative teams.

I have no problem with them wanting to make a cinematic universe, but when they announce the cinematic universe before even having the first movie, especially when that movie sucks, you've got problems. I'm sure Marvel wanted a cinematic universe before they put Iron Man out. They just didn't make it front and center until they had the work to prove it.

Last edited:
Somewhere they got it in their heads that these movies had to be super high budget FX driven action pieces. If they stayed true to their roots and made them in the $2-5 million range and do exactly as Vivek says, they could have had something great.

Back in the early 2000s ILM did a test reel for Universal of a full CG Frankenstein's monster based on Karloff. It was black and white, wasn't cartoony, and looked pretty awesome. I'd totally go for something like that too-- like recreating the look of the old Universal monsters with modern stories. That would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back