Do these look like replicas or real

112thrule

Hi

I'm trying to determine the origins of these props... do they look like any particular replica brand, kits or authentic TV/movie props? They came with a huge mixed estate auction...

Star Trek items auction - Imgur

your collective wisdom is appreciated.

Ik1UhJf.jpg

Hi

I'm trying to determine the origins of these props... do they look like any particular replica brand, kits or authentic TV/movie props? They came with a huge mixed estate auction...

Star Trek items auction - Imgur

your collective wisdom is appreciated.

View attachment 241700

The tricorder caught my eye because of the Starfleet insignia on the top part. i remember having a resin replica myself I picked up at a convention around 1988-89 during the second season of TNG - and it had that insignia - which was never on the actual props. It even had that same screen style - not sure how lighting affected the photography on the example you gave - but the one I had was a more neutral gray and not as "blue" as the one in pic... but it caught my eye because of the insignia - and the medical attachment - the closeup of the scanner is a dead ringer for the one I had - real rough looking. likewise with the TSFS phaser 2... it has a couple of the same "lines" as a cheapo recast resin copy I picked up in the mid to late 80s.

OK the Klingon disruptor looks fake.

I created the two part body: ILM's was a one piece, AND I replaced stripping TAPE with evergreen plastic strips that were 5 times thicker so I could paint them easier. This disruptor has these flaws.

The Phaser Three is cheap recasting of one of my fan sold models...I did the dummies with fake RASIED RED LEDS, ILM did not and their working model had clear lenses.

The Absualt Phaser has a fake red LED tip, never done for the show...it also has the wrong detailing on the sides, and the shrouded tip shows it was cast from one of the rubber stunt models which had that flaw.

The tricorder also looks major wrong.

I would say all the props are poor recreations.

Sorry.

Rich

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back