ANH Jawa Project

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am a huge Star Wars fan myself. I got remarried and now have a 12 year old son, Stone who is an avid Star Wars fan. My 8 year old daughter Peyton has been raised watching the movies and loves the saga too. We were all talking and decided to make a ANH Jawa as a display/costume for Stone's room. I've done one movie costume for myself in the past and although Captian Jack Sparrow in On Stranger Tides was a complicated costume, it came out very screen accurate if I do say so myself! I figured a Jawa would be fairly easy. I searched the RPF and found some examples, watched the A New Hope a few dozen more times, and got an idea of what we wanted it to look like. We decided on the bandoliers we wanted, the blaster, and a few accessories we wanted him to "have".

After many hours on e-Bay, I found some cool finds. My first purchase was a 3 pouch WWII European leather ammo pouch for the Jawa's leather over the shoulder blaster holster. I then ordered a LED eye kit - wiring & a 9V battery box w/ switch. I also purchased a Star Wars Visual Dictionary, super cool book. Peyton and I hit up a local donut store and bought a few 25 cent candy machine plastic toy containers for the eyes. Stone sanded the inside of the clear containers to obscure the LEDs and I drilled and painted the caps. Stone says one night, "Hey we should get a mini torch welder for the Jawa!" OK, here was a fun challenge, a vintage torch welder from the 70's. Yeah, I found it on e-bay, unbelievable! The exact model they used in the movie! Great deal too, I got it in the original box all intact for $24 shipped!

I picked up some black linen at Joann's, a white face mask & a dark brown rabbit pelt from Hobby Lobby, and a pair of kids brown gardening gloves from Ace Hardware. We cut some strips of the linen and ran them through the wash so they'd get tattered for the mask covering. After gluing the linen on the face and cutting holes for the eyes, it looks pretty cool.

I'll post some pictures later!

Attachments

• 001 (4).JPG
    001 (4).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 366
Last edited:
This is what started it all. I found this on e-Bay and off I went.

Bought a Jawa LED eye kit.....again e-Bay

Bought a generic white mask from Hobby Lobby, primed it, wrapped it in cut and washed linen strips, cut out the eye holes, and pushed the toy containers into place.

Found this cool vintage Micro Torch on....yes e-Bay! Seriously, 1976 vintage, in the package, working, although NOT the same as used in the movie....

Let me know what you guys think. I'll pick up some more black linen for the inside of the hood and the Monk's cloth for the robe & hood soon. I also found the UK Boer pre WWI bandolier on e-Bay. It's from India and is brand new. I'll dunk it in color stripper, hit it with some sandpaper, distress is up real good, re-oil it, and it should look old and beat up. More to come!

Last edited:
Found a cool Persian powder flask for the Ion Blaster. I take some pics of the Boer WWII replica leather bandolier I oiled, weathered, and tried to make look old.

IMG_2047.jpgIMG_2046.jpg

Looks like a great start. Im actually working on one too. Im going to have to check out ace for those kid's gloves. Right now im building a blaster and trying to decide if i want to attempt dying monk's cloth or just ordering some in brown.

Picked up a Jawa Kobold droid caller and got one of Cameron's top caps. I also ordered one of Roy's D ring & clips for it. Not totally screen accurate because it's shorter than the ANH Luke & Han Kobolds, but for a Jawa, it's perfect!

IMG_4905_zpsuctcbe23.jpg

Picked up an IKEA glass display cabinet, thought I'd have a Jawa shelf until the whole thing is finished

IMG_5324_zpsfa4wkjbj.jpg

Picked up one of Mr Sparkle's restraining bolts, sweet part!

IMG_5323_zpss4qyvruc.jpg

Wow, this is looking fantastic!! I’m impressed!
I recently purchase a 1:1 Jawa from Jawa trading post. It is pretty nice, except for the blaster and butter face... both sorely need to be redone.
Can I ask you what type of material you used for the face...or does linen refer to a specific material type?

Thnx!

Last edited:
Wow, this is looking fantastic!! I’m impressed!
I recently purchase a 1:1 Jawa from Jawa trading post. It is pretty nice, except for the blaster and butter face... both sorely need to be redone.
Can I ask you what type of material you used for the face...or does linen refer to a specific material type?

Thnx!

thanks! I simply used linen from Joann’s Fabric. It has some texture to the weave and I felt it would work well. Go to a fabric store and ask for linen!

I haven't worked on this in a LONG time but finally picked up a really solid mannequin that will support a heavy costume and can resume! Thanks Lord Hotwing!

IMG_6020_zpsgpntpz4j.jpg

Wood child sized articulating hands you can position - need to drill out the end and add a threaded stud and they will mate easily w the mannequin

IMG_6019_zpsekvp6mxt.jpg

Worked on this Vile little guy! Attached the articulating hands after Bonding in a coupling nut and thread locked the shaft in

IMG_6477_zpsz7fgrsr5.jpg

IMG_6478_zps6frh7b4m.jpg

IMG_6479_zpscerrutay.jpg

Gave him some fitted upper underwear & wrapped the wrists and neck with the same distressed linen from the face

IMG_6510_zps5eqe6gzi.jpg

IMG_6511_zpspdubu6de.jpg

IMG_6507_zpsdl8rtijh.jpg

Added a 1" dowel to the neck, trimmed down the child sized head base off, drilled a hole for the neck dowel so I can move his head, attached the eyes to the inner mask and the mask to the head. Started to distress the leather bandolier and did a little test fit

IMG_6513_zpspdmglmwt.jpg

IMG_6514_zpsgxvl3q6m.jpg

Next up - the wrap the boots and get them fitted!

Looks great, I especially love the mannequin!
It has always been my belief that the most accurate costume looks odd without a good mannequin to display it correctly!

Don’ Make it too slim, the ANH Jawas looked always a little fatty in the Movie. Only the publicity shots were slim. :rolleyes

Finished weathering the bandolier, I'm pretty happy as this started as brand new raw leather

IMG_6646_zpshso9q5u3.jpg

Wrapped the boots

IMG_6649_zps0zyv1wqn.jpg

IMG_6650_zpsh2yn3mqq.jpg

Need to get the right articulating hand this week from China and find gloves that fit the hands! I have a Delta 13 Leather Works Jawa pouch coming in the mail also!

- - - Updated - - -

Which Material for the robe?

IMG_5407_zpseccxx5gr.jpg

IMG_5405_zpsbdivhdg6.jpg

​I'd love some feedback, thanks!

I like what you did with those hands! I bought the same ones off amazon, but wasn’t happy with the wrist setup, you really fixed the issue there!

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back