Help! Mass effect 3 N7 armour undersuit fabric

LloydParisEage

Hi RPF

First post, please don't murder me if i'm doing something wrong.

Ok, so i want to build N7 armour. i know how to make foam armour, the only issue i have is working out what the under-suit is made of.

i have some reference images that i have collected:

eUeOB40.jpg
xyzAgsU.jpg
khyb1So.jpg

these are from the reference image of the in-game model provided by troodon80 on Deviantart. (Mass Effect 3, Male Shepard N7 Armour Reference. by Troodon80 on deviantART)

they are anoyingly small, you can see the texture better in this piece of fan art

xCOuva9.jpg
FemShepard - Mass Effect 3 by Hidrico on deviantART

to me the material looks kind of like a braided hose or something but i have no idea where the dark stripes come from.
WBxD4vN.jpg
additionally, there is this image

PIXaP3d.jpg

which is from the "Take Back Earth" trailer. the material in that picture looks closer to a ribbed knitting. i am going for accuracy, but as far as i am concerned, both that picture, and the in-game model are equally as accurate.

some people i have seen choose to go for the larger criss-cross pattern of the game's cover art. i am not such a big fan of that.

please if you have any ideas or thoughts, let me know. :D

Why doesn't this post have any replies? Did you find fabric or an undersuit yet? I am working on an N7 armor too.

Hi, i am OP on my new account. if you are, like me going for in-game accuracy the following is probably the best option. i have chosen a ribbed-knit fabric, which you can buy in sheets. it does not have any criss-crossing in the pattern, but i believe it is pretty much the most accurate real-life, easily acquirable material for the job. i am considering adding silver stripes with spray paint but that may be more trouble than its worth. alternatively if you wanted the box-art look, you could print the tread-plate pattern onto any stretchy material. most people don't bother with either of these and just use black.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am quite a perfectionist when it comes to accuracy. I thought about getting it printed and already photoshopped a texture and I am currently waiting for fabric samples. I am going to finish the helmet and the armor first and then decide how I am going to make the undersuit. Do you have any pictures of your suit or armor?

I'm eons late to the party but for anyone who's still looking, I made this blood dragon mass effect vector for suit.jpg caddy corner this pattern and it looks just like the image of Shep's inner elbow up top. Hope it helps

This is very late for OP but I've recently been doing fabric research of my own. My wife REALLY wants to do an N7 default armor: ME2 costume.
I know the fabric which you speak and I have recently discovered what I think is probably the MOST accurate base for an undersuit as well as the textured panels for the armor.
The primary issue is that they are made of vinyl but if blocked and seamed/ sewn correctly I believe the undersuit can still be breathable and comfortable.
masseffect.JPG
These fabrics are:
Undersuit- San Remo-Eclipse SSR-003 by: Symphony
Armor texture- Wave (White Cap) by: Morbern

Also seen here I've decided to use the Carbon Fiber vinyl from Spradling. (Flint Colored)
I will probably also use Spradling's "Apex" vinyl fabrics to create the accents in the armor.

I'm planning on making a VERY complex undersuit and utilizing the craft EVA as a base for the vinyl fabrics

Last edited:
masseffect2.PNGmy wife's future costume
San_Remo.Eclipse.SSR-003_0.jpgSymphony's "San Remo" Eclipse

liquid_silver_wv206.jpgMorbern's "Wave" Pewter mist

CF1101.jpgSpradling's "Carbon Fiber" Flint
s-l1000.jpgSpradling's "Apex" Midnight

San_Remo.Eclipse.SSR-003_0.jpg

liquid_silver_wv206.jpg

CF1101.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

masseffect2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an amazingly helpful post. I'm working on ME3 Kaidan and am a game-accurate cosplayer, so I was so confused on what to do!
The idea of working in vinyl sounds horrible.
Has anyone come across this sort of pattern on Lycra or neoprene? That's what I was thinking of making it out of.

I realize this post is 6 months since its last hit, but I have found the fabric y'all have been searching for, as a google search brought me to this post, but left me searching.

A company called Yaya Han "cosplay fabrics", which can be found at JO Ann Fabrics both online and in brick and mortar locations, has developed a simulated carbon fiber 4 way stretch fabric available at $20.00 USD a yard.

Hope this helps. Just go to joann.com and search for Yaya Han. Should be a few pages into their listings.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back