Battle of the Network Stars

Laspector

Master Member
Anybody watching these? They are on ESPNC. I've been really getting into these. I remember all those actors and the shows they were on in the 70s. So much fun to watch them try to compete in sports (or rather sports like events). I really liked the show back then and I find that I still like them.

I wish they could still do shows like this today. I would love to see some current tv stars competing. But I'm sure it could never happen these days. Too much money, egos and insurance involved. Not to mention the quantity of networks there are now, not just the big three as it was back then.

I think that the last time they tried something like this it was all bunch of has beens and very minor stars, certainly no A list actors. It's too bad that we can't get actual current/A list actors in any sort of celebrity competition show.

i'm old enough to remember watching them on TV pure dreck but as a kid I loved it. nothing more than publicity to prance around the network TV stars to promote the networks... it didn't take long for the A listers to demand more money and they weren't invited so you ended up with the lesser known or the less popular actors doing the games.. seems it wasn't long before they all wanted hefty appearance fees and the network cancelled the show.
There is a game show now called Hollywood Game Night and is getting big names on it.. very funny stuff too. Hollywood Game Night | Everyday People Play With Celebrities | NBC
but I am already over it after 3 shows.
I prefer the actor wanna be's and amateurs on American Ninja Warriors and Wipe Out
http://www.nbc.com/american-ninja-warrior/

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back