Comic ConQuest Crystal FURY costume- Input on Casting Crystal Staff Pieces

AbbyDarkStar

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all! I'm starting this build thread on my Crystal Fury costume for the game, Comic Conquest! The game is going to be set in a Comic convention, where suddenly, all the cosplayers turn into their costume.

My character is an elemental mage, who can control the 4 elements (cause I'm greedy that way) I've begun work on gathering materials, but when it comes to the staff, I'm a little stumped.

I'll probably be using an RGB bulb at the top of the staff so I can change colors with the elements that I'm casting, but I'll need to put a clear or at least mostly clear crystal over the top of the light.

It would have to be somewhat lightweight, or manageable so that I can heft it all day at a convention. Any tips/tricks/tutorials on this?

Crystal Fury.jpg

Can you sculpt something that can be cast in clear resin? It looks to be maybe 4" long or so - should only weigh a few ounces. Also check out Michaels or AC Moore. They've started getting in the clear plastic and glass christmas ornaments - maybe you can adapt one of those.

You could always get an acrylic casting done that sets into the top of the staff and is secured by hidden set screws. This will allow for disassembly so you can put the crystal into a protective bag for transport/storage. The RGB LED (probably a 5-10W single die would work) can be recessed into the top of the staff under where the acrylic sits, making it invisible to casual inspection. For an even more dramatic effect, you can have the acrylic frosted, which will allow for a much better diffusion of light. After that, you can wire it up with four buttons on the staff itself, each of which will activate the specific color you are looking for.

Granted, it will be heavier than a shell version, but with this one, you won't have to worry about the seams catching the light, as it will be a solid piece.

I agree with Ken. Sculpt a half buck, vacuform 2 halves and then glue together. Use a diffuser over the light source to eliminate any hot spots.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back