Replica Prop Assistance (Metal Casting With PlatSil Silicone Molds?)

I don't know specifics about that brand, but you will have a very hard time finding a silicone rubber that can handle any molten metal harder than lead or may be pewter. Metal pieces are most easily made by casting the piece in wax, then shell casting it into metal in a foundry.

There are a number of high temperature RTV casting silicons available via the internet , and I've used plenty, in casting hot metal parts mainly pewter and zinc over the years, so casting a sword is possible - but you'd need quite a bit of silicon I'd estimate four or five kilos as you'd need quite a thick mold to stop the hot metal distorting as you pour, so a hardwood brace frame should be used, a large foundry pot to cast from , a good open space to work in , and follow all the safety precautions for handling and casting hot metal , protective clothing , leather aprons, gloves, masks etc you want no distractions as any spillage would be potentially very dangerous , so if you attempt this take great care.

regardless, if you plan on casting anything out of metal, make sure to do so using proper protection as any moisture will have a reaction to the molten metal = small explosion = metal on skin = ouch = scars. I always suggest casting small parts in melted crayon as to somewhat learn the technique or working with hot molten type materials. Its quick easy and cheap as opposed to trial and error with any form of metal. In the end if your looking for something like a sword to mold and cast, I highly suggest looking at foundries to do the work for you.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back