Man of Steel Fabric update--Warner Bros Studio Museum visit.

Has anyone else noticed that there appears to be a slit in the bottom center of the cape in this Gif? (look in the center-left of the image just as the cape billows up) I'm not a Superman expert so I don't know what has or hasn't been discovered about this costume yet, just thought I'd ask since I hadn't yet seen that feature mentioned in my reading.

-Nick
I'm 99% sure that the cape in that scene was cgi.

Has anyone else noticed that there appears to be a slit in the bottom center of the cape in this Gif? (look in the center-left of the image just as the cape billows up) I'm not a Superman expert so I don't know what has or hasn't been discovered about this costume yet, just thought I'd ask since I hadn't yet seen that feature mentioned in my reading.

-Nick
Hmmm. I can see the aberration in the area that you're talking about, but after viewing the footage, I think it's just a pair of folds in the cape that didn't resolve themselves before the .gif cuts out. I didn't see anything in-person that would indicate there's a slit in the cape, or even a seam. None of the reference photos seem to indicate it either.

I'm 99% sure that the cape in that scene was cgi.
It is when he starts flying, sure, but when he's walking into the wind it's practical.

I read only time a cape was used was standing walking with army or close ups and that was only a half cape. Let's hope the blu ray gives us more info

Hmmm. I can see the aberration in the area that you're talking about, but after viewing the footage, I think it's just a pair of folds in the cape that didn't resolve themselves before the .gif cuts out.

Yup, I think you're right. After pulling out a farm and boosting the brightness, exposure, and contrast it looks like my eyes were just playing tricks on me. Good catch on it just being a fold...albeit a sneaky one!

-Nick

Yup, I think you're right. After pulling out a farm and boosting the brightness, exposure, and contrast it looks like my eyes were just playing tricks on me. Good catch on it just being a fold...albeit a sneaky one!

-Nick
Sneaky indeed! I had to do some staring myself before hunting for the footage to compare. :lol

I read only time a cape was used was standing walking with army or close ups and that was only a half cape. Let's hope the blu ray gives us more info

It would be interesting to read the source of those claims, if you don't mind sharing. It would make a bit of sense, as the cape is needlessly cumbersome for a lot of the stuntwork and what have you, but I assure you that full capes were used at times, I've seen the cape and it definitely exists at full length.
And at any rate, as difficult as moving fabric is to animate as a rule, it would be much more work, more headaches, and more expense to achieve the "cape billowing in the wind" shot with CGI than it would be to spend an afternoon toying around with a wind machine and a practical cape.

Heck, they did this stuff with a practical cape, you can hear them discuss it in any interview about the batpod:
tumblr_m7fo1qVnLv1qcb58yo1_500.gif

A guy walking a few feet forward is not too much of a challenge compared to that shot.

Last edited:
When I find it I will post it. It's stated in loads of In interviews that the cape was mostly CGI
Yes, but 'mostly' is not surprising when most scenes with the cape visible involve superman flying or being caught in big effects-heavy action that would necessitate a CGI element. I doubt they mean that the scenes of him walking around had a CGI cape or that the cape only ever existed as a 'half' cape during principle photography. There's on-set photos that show Henry wearing the full cape.

man-of-steel-faora3-570x419.jpg

man-of-steel-faora2.jpg

supermanmanofsteel.jpg

supermanhenrycavillsetpic3.jpg

I'm not saying he never had a fabric cape. I know there was a cape used for close ups which was a half cape. Standing and walking with the army When I can get on a co outer I will go through all the photos from production as I I'm sure I have several of that scene where he got no cape on

I'm not saying he never had a fabric cape. I know there was a cape used for close ups which was a half cape. Standing and walking with the army When I can get on a co outer I will go through all the photos from production as I I'm sure I have several of that scene where he got no cape on
I don't know how you can have gone through the thread to this point and still doubt me when I say the practical cape isn't just a half cape, it's a full cape (even if other reduced capes were used at times). Yes, there are many photos where "he got no cape on" but that's because the cape has to be removed for stunts and actions where it defies gravity.

I never said the cape was a half cape what I did say is they had different capes some full capes some half cape for close ups. This has been done on all batman films and superman films.

The half capes would be used for close ups where the scene doesn't go below the waist there is footage of Kilmer in the batsuit with jeans on and a half cape.

I'm getting from your posts you don't like it if people don't agree with you ?
same as you I like this film and have done a lot of research on the film

I'm getting from your posts you don't like it if people don't agree with you ?
same as you I like this film and have done a lot of research on the film

What you're getting is that I don't appreciate it when things are phrased without clarity, and when my requests for clarification are rebuffed with variations of 'no I read it,' I appreciate it even less.

The way you phrased each response indicated that you believed the only practical capes were half-capes, and that you were almost certain the cape was CGI in the clip Nick asked about. These were things I had good reason to contest, regardless of my opinion of you personally. Your responses did not come with any measure of respect for the discussion or the evidence or for me.

Here are your words.

"I'm 99% sure that the cape in that scene was cgi."
"I read only time a cape was used was standing walking with army or close ups and that was only a half cape."
"I know there was a cape used for close ups which was a half cape. Standing and walking with the army "
"When I find it I will post it. It's stated in loads of In interviews that the cape was mostly CGI "
"I will go through all the photos from production as I I'm sure I have several of that scene where he got no cape on"

If you wish me to understand where you are coming from, you have to be willing to communicate clearly. Do you not see why someone might take issue with your approach and language in this discussion?

For my own bristliness, I apologize. It's not my intention for you to feel as if I don't like you, especially for something as petty as disagreeing about a costume detail on a film. That's not the case.

Theres nothing in my posts that are rude nasty or aggressive
I posted 99% not 100%. You came at me in a nasty way I know they used a full cape as well as several other sizes. And I think it's weird how you say personal opinion of me in fact you don't no me at all I've never talked with you and after showing your ego here I have no interest in talking with you.
You have read the posts in away that fits your need to attack . Enjoy your thread I'm done.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all this info! I'm just wondering if you know what material was used for the kryptonian armour they wore on earth, not the undersuit?

Thanks so much for all this info!
You're welcome!

I'm just wondering if you know what material was used for the kryptonian armour they wore on earth, not the undersuit?
It's really tough to tell what material the pieces are cast from once they're all painted up if you can't touch 'em, so that's not something I could say for certain, sorry. One of the FX people on the forum would be more qualified to speculate than I am.

If anyone has 4k to blow and wants an accurate Man of Steel costume, you can get the costume and a replica of Cavill:

"This striking life size recreation of Superman, as portrayed by Henry Cavill in Man of Steel, is the ultimate collectible for serious Superman fans. Standing 7 feet tall, this fiberglass statue features exacting detail, including the suit's intricate design pattern & texture. The stunning costume's raised texture was re-created utilizing the very same 3D data that was utilized to create the film's costumes, thereby assuring the ultimate level of authenticity.

This Superman statue comes with a cloth cape, and a custom base. Ships in a protective crate. Measures approximately 84" x 39" x 23". Designed by Oxmox studio and made by Muckle in Germany. Imported by Section9 Entertainment."

Sounds pretty awesome... I wonder just how authentic the costume is, but it sounds like the most-likely way someone can truly learn how the costume is assembled.. I'm pretty excited about this but of course would not spend that kind of money :)

If anyone has 4k to blow and wants an accurate Man of Steel costume, you can get the costume and a replica of Cavill:

"This striking life size recreation of Superman, as portrayed by Henry Cavill in Man of Steel, is the ultimate collectible for serious Superman fans. Standing 7 feet tall, this fiberglass statue features exacting detail, including the suit's intricate design pattern & texture. The stunning costume's raised texture was re-created utilizing the very same 3D data that was utilized to create the film's costumes, thereby assuring the ultimate level of authenticity.

This Superman statue comes with a cloth cape, and a custom base. Ships in a protective crate. Measures approximately 84" x 39" x 23". Designed by Oxmox studio and made by Muckle in Germany. Imported by Section9 Entertainment."

Sounds pretty awesome... I wonder just how authentic the costume is, but it sounds like the most-likely way someone can truly learn how the costume is assembled.. I'm pretty excited about this but of course would not spend that kind of money :)
Is there a link to this? Kinda sounds like it's saying that the whole statue is fiberglass except for the cape, just with an accurate surface texture, not wearing a suit of accurate materials, which would be a lot less awesome. If it's the real deal though, wow, sure, that's not a bad possibility if someone has deep pockets.

EDIT,

Ok, I found the link (WARNING, MUSIC). That's not a costume, it's basically a full scale maquette with a cape added. It's cool, but it won't tell you anything about the construction of the suit, because it's not wearing one. You could conceivably use it to mold accurate lateral details, belt, boot borders, gauntlets, and shield emblem, since they used the real 3D files for them, which is nifty.
http://www.supermanstatue.com/

Last edited:
Darn, was hoping it had a full suit so that some of the creative people here could replicate. I actually saw it on shopdcentertainment.com but i guess the link you found is the official. Man of Steel Superman Life Size Statue |*ShopDCEntertainment.com

Is there a link to this? Kinda sounds like it's saying that the whole statue is fiberglass except for the cape, just with an accurate surface texture, not wearing a suit of accurate materials, which would be a lot less awesome. If it's the real deal though, wow, sure, that's not a bad possibility if someone has deep pockets.

EDIT,

Ok, I found the link (WARNING, MUSIC). That's not a costume, it's basically a full scale maquette with a cape added. It's cool, but it won't tell you anything about the construction of the suit, because it's not wearing one. You could conceivably use it to mold accurate lateral details, belt, boot borders, gauntlets, and shield emblem, since they used the real 3D files for them, which is nifty.
Man of Steel Life-Size Superman Statue

IMG_3324.JPGIMG_3325.JPGIMG_3331.JPGIMG_3340.JPGhi lunaman, i have bought the blue royal dark glissnet but i think it is too much shiny..what do you think ? here some pics of the fabric and one of the fabric stretched on a old latex batman 89 torso Painted metal... with the great pannaus emblem

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back