Female Street Judge Build WIP

Good TIPs, I was also in a buying spree then later I realize that there were more better things that could replace them... example, for the flash bangs.. I bought like 3 kinds of balls including a ping pong but ended up with a pencil sharpener since it requires minor modifications and a real metal...

I follow a new policy now... build what you buy before starting to a new project... :D

There are good patterns in this thread for the belt accessories, I've tried them all and the sizes are just right... I'm currently building the med pack and will post the pics as soon as I found a shop that can sew them together...:behave

Last edited:
There are good patterns in this thread for the belt accessories, I've tried them all and the sizes are just right... I'm currently building the med pack and will post the pics as soon as I found a shop that can sew them together...:behave

Really? The ones I found, that seems to be the popular ones to use, had the correct size typed out it seemed, but when actually measured they were too large, and I had to scale them down to the dimensions that they claimed to be. (I'm talking about the ones where the lines are green and they are in millimeters.)

I'm going foam on the belt accessories for this run, but can hopefully do them in leather at some point. Good luck finding a shop!

Check out the thread below, I was able to build them all with almost no changes on the dimensions,,,

http://www.therpf.com/f71/leather-belt-pouches-rough-templates-183516/

Sample pics...

leather-belt-pouches-rough-templates-leather-3.jpg-178774d1367109548

Yeah, those are the ones I downloaded, and I downloaded the newest version to, this is what I mean

My orange outlines are drawn to the dimensions typed out on the template.

The orange 55x55mm circle is very close to the green one, but the orange box that is 180x110mm, the green one is pretty off from it.

Capture.JPG

That's odd. I know the orange boxes are the size stated. I wonder if when the printer shrinks them (the green ones) to fit they end up being a closer to the dimension size? I printed one out and measured and it was bigger than the stated size, and I had my printer set to "actual size" vs "shrink to fit".

The circle is close, but the other part looks like it should be several mm off. I don't know how it's not when printed when it is when I have it up in Illustrator.

That's odd. I know the orange boxes are the size stated. I wonder if when the printer shrinks them (the green ones) to fit they end up being a closer to the dimension size? I printed one out and measured and it was bigger than the stated size, and I had my printer set to "actual size" vs "shrink to fit".

The circle is close, but the other part looks like it should be several mm off. I don't know how it's not when printed when it is when I have it up in Illustrator.

I just printed one of them, using Windows Previewer. Unselected "fit picture to frame"; Measure fine. Tried with Jasc PSP9 (don't have illustrator) and it was undersized. I imagine if I had time to mess with the print settings I could getting to work (100% scaling didn't...).

It's no problem for me to redraw them, I'm just not sure how they aren't large for everyone else like they are for me. Was trying to warn everyone they were big, but apparently it's just me? lol I have not tried the others yet.

It's no problem for me to redraw them, I'm just not sure how they aren't large for everyone else like they are for me. Was trying to warn everyone they were big, but apparently it's just me? lol I have not tried the others yet.

I have build all the leather holders for the belt with no problem... I will post the pics with the flash bang, breach mine and smoke grenade inside each respective leather holder (I left the med pack in a shop for sewing) for you to confirm...

Try checking on the menu prior printing, it should be set as original size and not scale to fit or you could measure them directly and calculate the ratio to your accessories.... hope this could help....

Those look nice! I redid them as previously mentioned so they print the size stated on the templates when printed actual size, so no problems. Was just throwing out a heads up for everyone to measure. I have not worked on these yet, currently doing back armor. I should have several photos to post this weekend.

Saw your armor vlog - that test came out great! Did you just heat the foam and use your hands to press down? Yarko used a template "press" but simpler would be easier. Well done!

Saw your armor vlog - that test came out great! Did you just heat the foam and use your hands to press down? Yarko used a template "press" but simpler would be easier. Well done!

Trying to post photos of what I did, but the "insert image" is just making links you have to click on instead of smaller inline image thumbnails to click on like in all my other posts, even though the code is the same as those posts, so I'm going to see if I have better luck tomorrow.

I didn't use my hands though, I used a thick piece of foam, I think it used to be part of a mattress, and I press with the foam on top of the craft foam, which has the form under it. It's still "soft" compared to the lines in something vacuformed, but not bad for craft foam.

Images are still being a pain, not doing the thumbnails you can click for larger view, so I just wrapped the link for the actual attachment in IMG tags and here we go, full size images that I don't have to host myself:

This shows the heat gun I used to heat up the foam, I put some wrenches on it to keep the foam from curling since this test piece was already cut. You don't have use anything to weigh it down, I didn't on my next run. The yellow chunk of foam is what I used to press the heated foam down to the form with:

attachment.php

Here is a shot showing the foam board template I cut, which was used to form the foam:

attachment.php

Here is a shot of the end result of the test, I just rough cut it out with scissors and did some stitching to see how it would look. It is black from one quick coat of black plasti-dip. This look satisfied me that this method would work on the "real" pieces, so this is the method I will be using.

Note: You need to put something on the back of the formed foam to keep it from being floppy, I started with cutting each of the two shapes in more foam, and gluing them inside to fill the shapes. Will put something even more rigid behind that as well.

attachment.php

Yesterday I was frustrated from not being able to find some stuff that should have been easy to find for the vest (2 inch webbing, black 1" elastic, etc.) so I made this duct tape torso form to at least feel like I was doing something. Not sure how useful it will be for this project, but I have it if I need it. I have to tape up the cut in the back and stuff it and hopefully make a cheap PVC stand for it.

attachment.php

I've ordered a female badge with my last name plus an ANDERSON plate to swap out on it, a breaching mine and belt buckle. I like ordering the smaller more detailed stuff and making the larger more expensive stuff myself. The air dart gun I mentioned ordering should be in on Monday. I will be ordering an unfinished helmet cast in resin on Wednesday and have been told it may be ready and shipped on Friday.

I lucked out and actually already own a can of spray paint that is the same color as the breaching mine I am getting, so I will be painted my gas grenade body that color to match.

I found out Anderson doesn't have any stun grenades on her belt in the movie, so I am going to forgo the holder and stun grenades for a Halloween ready build. I am however adding 1" buckles to the upper armor that can't be seen on the female armor in the movie.

I hope to finish the back panels and front panels this week.

Attachments

• foamforming1.jpg
    foamforming1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,202
  • foamforming2.jpg
    foamforming2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,215
  • foamforming3.jpg
    foamforming3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,313
  • tapeform2.jpg
    tapeform2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,272
Looking good! Be glad to have a dummy. I got a mannequin that has about the same dimensions as myself. It helped alot while working on the strapping of the vest.

And of course i use it for display of the whole suit ;)

... I used a thick piece of foam, I think it used to be part of a mattress, and I press with the foam on top of the craft foam, which has the form under it. It's still "soft" compared to the lines in something vacuformed, but not bad for craft foam.

Thanks, it looks great!

Yesterday I was frustrated from not being able to find some stuff that should have been easy to find for the vest (2 inch webbing, black 1" elastic, etc.) so I made this duct tape torso form to at least feel like I was doing something. Not sure how useful it will be for this project, but I have it if I need it. I have to tape up the cut in the back and stuff it and hopefully make a cheap PVC stand for it.

Not sure if your duct tape mannequin will be vital to your Dredd build either, but it sure does look fun! :)

At least you'll have something to display your gear on one completed.

Great build progress by the way. Keep the updates coming!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back