My Prometheus Engineer/Space Jockey Sculpt

dreaminspired

I've been working on this thing off and on for the last 9 months or so and it's to the point where I feel comfortable sharing it. I'm hoping to have it finished soon.
It weighs about 50lbs and I really want to mold it as I'm afraid it will fall apart under its own weight. Ideally I'd like to mold it in pieces and hinge it together so it opens like the prop from the movie but I'm not sure how realistic that idea is to bring to fruition. Molding it in pieces will also make it easier to slush cast. I injured my back two years ago and became disabled so hand rolling something of this size will be a nightmare for me.... if it doesn't work out as I plan I'll still hand roll it and deal with the aches and pains. Even though it's huge and not wearable by someone of my size I plan to make it wearable with lenses and the whole lot.
The final pic shows a size comparison against a KWDesigns ANH Stormie helmet.
I'll post WIP pics from the start of the project till now, later in the thread...

Started with images and cardboard templates filled with A LOT of spray foam. Added a layer of fiberglass resin and then shaped it with bondo. After I got the rough shape I wanted I started working on the details using white Sculpy, which I cook with my heat gun as I go. I still have a lot of work to do, but it's come a long way in a short period of time.

Wow great work! Looks spot on to me. If you do offer casts id love to grab one.
Thanks. My plan is to offer these but shipping will be outrageous if I can't figure out how to mold it in pieces. I'm sure it can be done and I'll tackle the problem after I'm happy with the sculpt.

I still have a long way to go on this. The nose area needs to be tweaked and a few nit-pick items like the left jaw needing some work but like I said, it's come a long way from a pile of spray foam!

It would have been cool to see a version scaled down for wearing for a 6 foot tall man. Very cool sculpt even so.
I'd love to try out some of that resin that shrinks and make one for myself to wear at least, but I know people who have had mixed results with that shrinking resin.
If anyone has had positive results with the stuff, by all means sound off and let me know which products work and which don't.

This is just Awesome!! Very impressive likeness :thumbsup :)

I used a similar technique at the start of my Bob project, using scaled up printed images. I used a hardboard armature & urethane foam sheet but other wise the same.
Keep up the good work :)

Thanks!
I saw your project. That's pretty impressive as well.
I knew it was possible to work this way, but this is the first time that I've done it so I was skeptical as to how it would work out. Throw in really crappy reference pics of almost exclusively the right side only and the odds were against me from the start. I still feel like they are, but I'm happy with it so far.
*edit, I wrote left side but meant right side.
This is just Awesome!! Very impressive likeness :thumbsup :)

I used a similar technique at the start of my Bob project, using scaled up printed images. I used a hardboard armature & urethane foam sheet but other wise the same.
Keep up the good work :)

Last edited:
Thanks!
I haven't worked on it much since my last update, but here's where I'm at currently. The rear details are blocked in and now I'm going over it and reworking what I need to rework.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back