Time's Arrow Data Head (image INTENSE)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I bought an excellent cast of member Vadermonkey's Star Trek The Next Generation Lt. Cmdr. Data bust. My goal with it was to make a severed head similar to what is seen in the episode "Time's Arrow". I designed the electronics in this bust and did the painting and hair laying myself.

It's not perfect, but I think it came out pretty well. It was easy starting from such an excellent cast that is a brilliant likeness. Below are images and a couple brief video's. Let me know what you think!!!!!!

The "Money Shot"
100_2905.JPG

General Head
100_2897.JPG

100_2899.JPG

Side Port (Unlit)
100_2901.JPG

"Connector" detail
100_2898.JPG

Brief Videos of the lighting
View attachment 100_2907.MOV

View attachment 100_2908.MOV

Well Ive already told you I really like the work you did on the sequence. I too wanted to make an acrylic stand like you have there. The head looks good overall, my only suggestion would be to work the hairline over a bit and soften the edges. What did you do for eyes?

One other thing is I think the grey on the neck should be a silver tone like the actual prop, but I like the clean look to it as well as the cable.

How did you mix your colors? Which colors did you go with?

Thank you for your comment!! I agree the hairline isn't perfect, but honestly I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm afraid to mess with it too much and ruin what I have.

The eyes are a silly trick I picked up somewhere. I painted the eyes the way I wanted them and put a thin coat of clear epoxy over them. The epoxy makes them look glassy.

I took a lot of artistic license with the neck "connections". I watched the episodes and you never really get a good look at the greebles under the neck. Since reference was scarce I chose to do my own design. I chose grey because in Datalore the connections between his parts appeared grey. I considered cutting the neck at an angle like the prop, but I wasn't sure if it would look lame.

I noticed on the prop what looks like burns and dirt smudges, but I couldn't bring myself to mess up all my hard work.

I used the paints you recommended, but not as well as you did.

Again, thank you for taking the time to comment. Did you ever finish yours (with the electronics kit and hand punched hair)? You progress shots looked really good.

No Im still working on my other versions...sadly they are collecting dust. My kids really want me to finish the electronic version...they like to watch it blink. :D

Im getting to where I want to tweak the sculpt eventually and iron out some of the things I see wrong now. Maybe I should stop looking at it..lol

I'd really like to get a Data Head of my own. VAdermonkey do you have any casts for sale?
What I was thinking I'd like to do is do a Data as Sherlock Holmes bust.
Johndee

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back