E-11 Stormtrooper Blaster builds - Doopydoos, Hasbro & Rubies - finished comparison

Re: Doopydoos ANH E11 Stormtrooper Blaster Build

Next to my Doopydoos E-11,

I have another unbuilt Doopydoos E-11 kit so I'm planning to build that soon & hopefully be able to improve a couple of features over my current one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 233
Re: Doopydoos ANH E11 Stormtrooper Blaster Build

I finally got my hands on one of the Rubies "Rebels" E-11 blasters today, these haven't been too easy to find in the UK

I really like it & how close it is to the look of the blaster in the series, I'm also impressed by how many of the details they've included

between this & the Princess Leia blaster I'm starting to like Rubies :lol

I know it's kinda flimsy & no moving parts but I don't care about that stuff, looking at it next to my Hasbro & Doopydoos it's clearly slightly undersized but doesn't feel too small to me

I'm not planning too much in the way of mods, I took it apart & removed the hengstler box & Magazine, I've cut out the scope rail & the space under the scope itself, I also drilled out the holes on the left side which I think have improved the look,

I have noticed that with the spaces cut out the underside of the scope etc don't quite meet up when put together but it isn't too noticeable

Im planning on gluing it back together (as well as screwing) & then filling the seams & screw holes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 529
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    950.3 KB · Views: 512
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 204
Re: E-11 Stormtrooper Blaster builds - Doopydoos, Hasbro & Rubies

Decided to add a length of PVC tube to the inside of the blaster as a barrel, it also adds a little much needed weight :lol

I also decided to give the inside of the blaster a coat of primer, just don't want it to be white showing through

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 219

What's next??.............you're going to buy a turd and polish it!.....:lol:lol

When you buy a stupid toy and try to break it into a E11......you lose me.

Seriously, there is line...........:facepalm

What's next??.............you're going to buy a turd and polish it!.....:lol:lol

When you buy a stupid toy and try to break it into a E11......you lose me.

Seriously, there is line...........:facepalm

Hey if there's a shiny turd in Ep7 then I might just try it :lol

Not a lover of the Rubies Blaster then? I guess that a lot of my "props" might be considered stupid toys or started off as them,

I quite like the cheap toy builds, they're fun to do & I don't have to worry about wrecking some expensive run parts, I like to think I can work a bit a both ends of the spectrum

I've also got the Rubies Princess Leia Blaster toy & am trying to build up a ANH & ROTJ from them I think they're pretty decent.

I'm not planning or trying to make the Rubies E-11 into a film accurate prop but I would like to get it closer to what I see onscreen in the Rebels cartoons, in that respect the toy isn't a bad starting point

I've built the Doopydoos kit (& have another to build) & have done a couple of the Hasbro conversions (that I see a lot of the Stormtroopers over here trooping with), I'm currently thinking that once I've finished up my V2 & Han ESB & Hoth from the new runs then my next big purchase may well be a deactivated Sterling for a serious E-11 build (while they still seem fairly plentiful & not too to expensive here in the UK)

I guess this will keep my hands busy for now & of course it doesn't hurt that this cost me about £8 against £350-400 for a Deac Sterling :lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 183

Looking forward to this! Great to see a thread comparing the options side by side.

To a large chunk of the world's population, every 'replica prop', regardless of cost/quality, is just a "Stupid toy". Lord knows I have heard plenty of that from friends and family alike!

Keep on chuggin and keep having fun, Paul.

Did a little more polishing on the Rubies

I decided to drill out the barrel & put some holes in the ahem "folding stock"

I've got a small piece of tube that I'll glue in under the holes so that I'm not looking into the inside of the blaster :lol

I've found some steel nuts that will fit around the screw posts for a little added weight (don't usually care about weight but thought why not)

I think even without any work on the outside its starting to look better

gonna be lots of filling & sanding to do on the seams & screw holes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 201

I like where this is going! Great work on the other kits. I was thinking of modding the Rubies for trooping to have a "knock around" unit that was a little more impact friendly without spending a ton. I will probably use some of the mods shown so far. They look great!

Your doing a great job mate :thumbsup realy enjoying your build thread :)

I decided to go ahead & give it a coat of primer before I join the 2 halves & start work on the seams & screw holes

I do like how things tend to look instantly better with a coat of primer :lol

I've glued the various nuts & pieces of pipe in place on the right side before I screw & epoxy it back together

it will have a narrow gap along the top of the body under the scope rail where I have cut out the pieces, as you can't really see it I think I'm going to leave it rather than trying to piece something in there it's a shame that there wasn't that extra couple of mm of plastic there that would have allowed the too sides to join once the scope rail was cut out (like on the Hasbro) but it's a minor quibble

Need to remind myself quite what a cheap toy this is, hopefully it'll end up looking better than it started :lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 240

Very nice build!! :thumbsup How does the Rubies E-11 feel compared to the others? You said it is flimsy, but is it that fragile?

Very nice build!! :thumbsup How does the Rubies E-11 feel compared to the others? You said it is flimsy, but is it that fragile?

I don't think it's fragile, I think it could stand being dropped, the plastic isn't too thin or too brittle, it's just light because there's nothing in there,

I finally glued & screwed mine back together (going to paint the mag & counter seperately & just glue back on) feels a lot more solid now

These things aren't exactly precision engineered :lol even after the screws & epoxy the 2 halves don't quite meet up in a few spots

Started with plenty of filler on the seams

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

I do like how things tend to look instantly better with a coat of primer :lol

Quoted for truth. This is always the most exciting step for me -- when it goes from a collection of (often modified) pieces to a cohesive object. :) Yeah, the fine-tuning after that point can take forever, but...

--Jonah

Love love love toy mods....:) they all look great
Where are you getting the rubies guns in the uk? I 'm trying to find this and the Leia blaster too.

Love love love toy mods....:) they all look great
Where are you getting the rubies guns in the uk? I 'm trying to find this and the Leia blaster too.

thanks, I really like doing the toy mods, props are so damn expensive that I just try to balance out my need to be making stuff with my budget :lol

I hope I'm not too much of a prop snob I can be as happy with a £5 toy mod as a £300 blaster (I have both)

I think these current Rubies Blasters are great cheaper & better than hasbro (in my opinion)

I have not found anywhere to buy these Rubies Blasters in the U.K. All mine have come from the U.S.

Inquisitor Peregrinus helped me out with a couple of Leia Blasters & I just got the E-11 from Amazon UK

I've just ordered the Rubies Boba Fett along with another E-11 & a couple of Leia's from eBay (by ordering a few the postage finally became reasonable) :lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 144

Ok that's enough filling & sanding :lol

i think I've got this as good as its gonna get, time to crack on painting it

the seams aren't perfect but they're a lot better than they were

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 242

Undercoated & ready for a coat of black

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 310

Love this thread, subscribed!

I have done a Rubie's Han Solo blaster, I just ordered a Leia one today ... and can see I will have to get an E-11 as well and probably a Fett one .... like you I find satisfaction in doing these toys, if I mess up I'm only out the cost of a meal .... keep up the good work and I will be watching!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back