My Original Parts Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber - Photos and Build Info

Serenity

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's my real parts Obi ANH lightsaber. I rarely make my own threads, but I spent too much time on photos to not share them. I'm also going to write a lot and don't want to clog up the other Obi thread. Of course, feel free to skip the words and check out the shiny pictures. :)

Fair warning to those who love AFBB sabers: This is not one of them. Prior to this build, I've had a few sabers with mixed parts from different sources. Each was incredible, but once I had the itch to have the "real" thing, it was hard to go back. As such, far too much time was spent searching for the parts. I went a little crazy at one point and for a short time, I had a kitchen table completely covered with parts, including numerous handwheels, Exactra calculators, and more transistors than I could count. After a bit of patience to get the right deal on the final part, this is what I ended up with:
2RwZU5U.jpg

Notes/Observations:
Much has been said about the Derwent balance pipe over the years, but I still underestimated how unique the real deal is. This one came out of a running engine; it smelled of fuel and was covered in carbon and grime from use. The characteristics of the Inconel are also rather neat. When I had a steel replica, I thought, how different can they be? But this metal is beautiful in person, almost like silver. Also of interest: My particular balance pipe has a serial number engraved on it.
DwTj0Qx.jpg

Judging by the weathered frag cubes, I'm sure that the grenade was repainted at some point. Some of it has wore off from handling, so I treated the bare steel with chemicals to darken it. I'm not a fan of blatant rust; red undertones are great for a patina, but I don't like surface buildup. Some dust and earth tone chalk was brushed in the grooves of the grenade and booster to hint at the Tunisia photos appearance. (Kudos to James Kenobi for that tip.) I found this also helps tie the colors of the booster, grenade, and balance pipe together.
4i2hhoi.jpg

I've put the torn metal tape on the Graflex clamp, but I don't know if I'm going to add cotter pins and brass screws to this one. Underneath the clamp is a piece of delrin that I modified into a connecting piece. As such, the whole saber can be field stripped to individual components like a real weapon. The bubble strip came from an Exactra 19 and the transistors have a single insulating washer around one of them. If the correctly labeled transistors are ever found, I'll swap them in.
36tvl5G.jpg

The Browning booster was the first part that I acquired for this particular build. It's seen plenty of real world use; the outer fins have some dings and the nickel plated barrel section had particle buildup when it arrived. The weld is currently placed in the "Chronicles" photo position. I still have the booster bearing as well, which I may eventually use to make an emitter cone or use as part of a spacer.
FqukogP.jpg

The Armitage Shanks handwheel cubes are in the "Chronicles" position and I still need to drill and place a d-ring on it. I know the color ring probably wasn't on the real saber, but I like it... Blue for the good side of the force, right?
7Q6GmwR.jpg

Finally, in no particular order, I'd like to express my gratitude to the following members for their assistance or advice: teecrooz, James Kenobi 1138, Sym-Cha, scottjua, Roman's Empire, Marv, and kurtyboy. In addition, thank you to Cenobyte and CeSquared for help with a stand and plaque too. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and I apologize to them now, but cheers to all of you guys.

That's it for now. Thoughts or questions? Feel free to post or ask. Thanks for looking!

qh4Hgd1.jpg

*Please do not post or share any of my photos elsewhere without permission.

Last edited:
Looks great Charlie! As much fun as it was building mine, I've had just as much fun hunting down parts for others. I'd love to see the custom display sometime.

This post makes me realize that I really need to set up my photo booth and take some quality pictures of my own.

Stunning. Really. It looks just about perfect.

When you have the real parts, there isn't too much weathering required. Everything fits together so well.

Great job.

I keep swearing up and down I will never start searching out parts for a real one... but I know one day it's going to happen.

I better start making more money. heh.

Beautiful build up! Makes me want to get started on mine! I hope I do half as well assembling my parts. That really is a great looking saber!

Excellent ... and congratulations ... your quest for real parts is finally over ... and it's
a brilliant piece of workmanship.

. . . . as for me I still need a real grenade and a balance tube/pipe, though I do have
a real vintage D-ring from a graflex camera case reserved for my all real parts saber.

-Chaim

Just saw I'm in the "credits". Happy to help make this happen. In the end it really was a team effort. :cheers

I'm glad this all worked out. Looking back, I even appreciate Roy.
He turned out to be a decent guy, and moved quickly for us once the ball was rolling.

Beautiful! Your parts are in pretty good shape, considering. Thank you for sharing - can you share some more info on the washer you used?

Really nice looking piece.......for Jedi stuff that is.....:lol

No, it really does look great. I will never look at a licensed replica the same again.

Oh my god so awesome.

Yes as Roman said thanks to Roy for helping us realize the dream.

I am actually using the clamp you sold me on mine. You did such an awesome job on it I have zero desire to redo it.

I just bought my real grenade too! So stoked! If mine is half as awesome as yours I'll be ecstatic!!!

I see you went with the calc bubbles between the clamp sides. Is it the frosted variation?

Hey guys, thank you all for the kind words. It was a (mostly) fun build and I'm kind of sad that it's almost done. I actually have no idea what to focus on next...

I keep swearing up and down I will never start searching out parts for a real one... but I know one day it's going to happen.

Go for it! If you're patient with your purchases, it's definitely manageable. Once you get that first part, it's all downhill from there.

I just bought my real grenade too! So stoked! If mine is half as awesome as yours I'll be ecstatic!!!

I see you went with the calc bubbles between the clamp sides. Is it the frosted variation?
This strip doesn't have the frosted sides, I think it's just the underside of the clamp that makes them look matte. Congrats on the grenade! I've been looking for one for you, but only found one that was even more than what we discussed. :eek Send me an e-mail, I'm curious to hear more!

Really nice looking piece.......for Jedi stuff that is.....:lol
The Dark Side flows through this one... :lol Well, I'm thinking of going for the trifecta, so a Vader saber will eventually be in the cards. :)

hello how much $ for an original pipe rolls royce, thank you in advance morgan
I would advise checking out the Junkyard for a rough idea on how much they're going for right now.

My warmest congratulations bro! It looks so perfect. I'm not jealous at all, my joy is with u. :)

Charlie is a great guy and he gives u winks and tips and knowledge at no cost at all. That's awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, have u blackened the grenade?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back