Captain America Movie Adult Avengers Shield - Disguise Help with reinforcing/upgradin

VinXero

Hello All,

I bought the Flimsy Captain America Adult Movie Avengers Shield 24" from Walmart for $25.

This is a link to the shield: NOT MY VIDEO - Watch it on mute. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqhO6q7SRn4

I wouldn't of bought this shield for myself but it is for my girlfriend to use at New York Comic Con 2013. She didn't want to spend a lot of money for something that she will only use for a day. (I will probably end up wall hanging this when done)

How can I re-inforce this for her? What is the best method of doing this for low cost?

She also wants better adjustable straps (ability to wear it on back) and a pouch added on the inside where she can put her cellphone, money etc. Also need some ideas for this.

I had a couple things in mind, Fiberglass the inside, smooth on 300 resin etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Re: Captain America Movie Adult Avengers Shield - Disguise Help with reinforcing/upgr

THis has been on my todo list as well. It's a good base shape. To reinforce it and keep it light I would use fiberglass. That will also give you a descent surface to mount brackets and a mini purse or whatever. Are you going to repaint it, because I want to repaint mine with better paint and clearcoat it!!! Whatever you do good luck!!

Re: Captain America Movie Adult Avengers Shield - Disguise Help with reinforcing/upgr

Ya, i would suggest the fiberglass method as well.
for the pouch/mini-purse, i would actually recommend doing some sticky back Velcro on the back of the shield. It probably won't be carrying much weight, so i would think it would be fine. Just make the purse out of some vynal

THis has been on my todo list as well. It's a good base shape. To reinforce it and keep it light I would use fiberglass. That will also give you a descent surface to mount brackets and a mini purse or whatever. Are you going to repaint it, because I want to repaint mine with better paint and clearcoat it!!! Whatever you do good luck!!

It is a decent shield for $25. I guess fiberglass is the way to go. I'll have to do some research on how to do fiberglass and work with it safely. I am not going to repaint it but I might clear coat it. Girlfriend actually loves the color.

Ya, i would suggest the fiberglass method as well.
for the pouch/mini-purse, i would actually recommend doing some sticky back Velcro on the back of the shield. It probably won't be carrying much weight, so i would think it would be fine. Just make the purse out of some vynal

Gonna fiberglass unless someone else suggests something better. I need to figure out a way to rig adjustable straps now for arms/back wear. Yeah I just bought a cheap mini purse for $5.. gonna double side 3m Velcro it.

Just make very sure you don't breathe the fumes or the dust. Definitely wear a mask. The dust is very, very nasty.

Pics of the shield from another thread.. mine is arriving monday.

59453f35.jpg

0d8b4c0a.jpg

People also suggested glueing a hard plastic sled on the inside and filling the gaps with expanding foam. I am definitely going to make a youtube video whatever I decide to do.

People also suggested glueing a hard plastic sled on the inside and filling the gaps with expanding foam. I am definitely going to make a youtube video whatever I decide to do.

Have you started/finished this project yet? I'm looking to do the same thing for my boyfriend's Captain America costume for Halloween with the exact same shield, but I don't know where to start. This thread has been invaluable so far.

Good luck man cant wait to see how it comes out.

Hi, do you have finished your shield ?
I start my shield with the same shield, and I thing put resin into the shield and fiberglass to have solid shield

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back