"Sheen" on a Dredd helmet?

SSgt Burton

Sr Member
So I recently received my Pannaus Props Dredd helmet, and while I love it, I notice that the "black" (or dark gray) part of the helmet is matt- not shiny at all.

However in the film, Dredd's helmet has a sheen to it (typically like a motorcycle helmet). I want to replicate this on "my" helmet, but how should I go about it? Should I just spray it with a Testors satin coat (I figure gloss would be too much)?

I've considered using car wax- does this sound totally nuts?

Kevin

The black paint on the helmets in the film was a gloss black with washes and weathering overtop.

Generally when there is no direct light source it will look dusty and dirty, and will pick up a bit of a shine under direct lighting.

I'd say if you haven't weathered it already to just give it a gloss protective coat, that way it will get the shine like you need, THEN go and add the weathering. The one I painted up is still shiny for the most part, but I added a significant amount of "grime" using black and brown acrylics. I'd like to add a "dusty" look to it, but I'll have to save that for my personal helmet

Thanks again.

I guess I wasn't really clear enough in my first post. I received the helmet completely finished, and already weathered. However I feel that the dark matt parts of the helmet are too flat. Even with the heavy weathering the screen used helmet had, it still had a shine to it when the light would hit it a certain way as mentioned earlier by Tvayumat.

So basically I'd be trying to retro-fit the helmet with a shine, on top of an already weathered helmet.

This is why I considered car wax as I could be a lot more precise with where I want the shininess to occur.

Kevin

You could use the wax approach or use the spray product "Armorall" which will also gloss it up quite a lot. That will come off fairly easily if you don't like the result. It is hard to know without pictures, if or what needs to be done. Try using the kind of bright lights used for movie lighting and yours may "shine" more than you think. Be careful what people may advise on paint. If you coat over unknown finishes with the wrong product, like lacquer over enamel, it can attack the finish and cause the paint to lift or crack. If they used acrylic washes over enamel, and you use enamel over it, it too will crackle the paint. The only safe way to top coat unknown finishes is to use a universal primer or barrier coat first. That said, you can "gloss up" most finishes by using an automotive polishing compound and elbow grease. That will likely also remove light weathering washes, unfortunately. I painted my helmet with semi-gloss paints that reflect light. Most helmets and such in movies, even those that look glossy or were painted that way, are often sprayed, on the set, with a matte spray, as directed by the cinematographer, because reflections showing the camera crews clearly in the reflection is often considered bad form.It is usually lighter surfaces or chrome that is treated that way. Try the Armorall.:cool

If you coat over unknown finishes with the wrong product, like lacquer over enamel, it can attack the finish and cause the paint to lift or crack. If they used acrylic washes over enamel, and you use enamel over it, it too will crackle the paint.

Thanks Ray- this was my concern from the beginning. I've had those bad experiences with "wrong combinations" of paint/laquer before, with disasterous results. Really I would like to avoid using paint altogether (hence my mentioning car wax). Thanks for the suggestion of Armorall. I figured it was just for inetriors (like leather) or tires- didn't think I could use it on paint. :thumbsup

Kevin

I'm considering adding a little shine to my Pannau helmet too, maybe we should ask Fulvio what paint he used and what varnish we can spray on it ?

Thanks Ray- this was my concern from the beginning. I've had those bad experiences with "wrong combinations" of paint/laquer before, with disasterous results. Really I would like to avoid using paint altogether (hence my mentioning car wax). Thanks for the suggestion of Armorall. I figured it was just for inetriors (like leather) or tires- didn't think I could use it on paint. :thumbsup

Kevin
I would always try it in a less conspicuous area first, like a bottom edge.......just to be safe. I've used it on painted surfaces with no problem, It is a "petroleum distillate" product though, so anything is possible. I've never had an issue though. They use to make a less glossy variety...more to the matte side, maybe mixing the two would give another option if the gloss turns out to be too much. Good luck. Another thought, a polyurethane wax called "Future" has been used by prop folks to give metal finishes a shine like polished aluminum or steel. It also seems to work on most paints. It is a clear liquid and is self leveling to minimize brush marks. It has been used for years on vinyl and linoleum floors. It isn't carried in all stores though because it is an old product....40 years or more and isn't advertised anymore.

Last edited:
Another member who has spoken with people who worked on the movie helmets confirmed that they were originally were painted with gloss paint, however, keep in mind that they were heavily weathered and depending on the scene, like after the heavy machine gun battle, where concrete dust was falling, the sheen of the paint was all but gone. So it boils down to your taste preference. I attached pics for your reference. As you can see, I chose the more rugged look.

Attachments

• 100_0624.JPG
    100_0624.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
  • 100_0623.JPG
    100_0623.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
  • 100_0622.JPG
    100_0622.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • 100_0621.JPG
    100_0621.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back