Creating Popeye

TK8541

I've seen some great Popeye costumes — here on the RPF for sure! — but Popeye is one of those characters that you don't see a lot of, and certainly not a lot of done well. Add in the fact that I can look a whole lot like him, do his voice really well and get only excited responses when I tell people I'm thinking of doing a costume of him and it was sort of a no-brainer that I had to do it one day. The "day" has arrived.

After 2+ years of not doing any other costumes beside "the Flash" I’m beginning work on a Robert Altman / Robin Williams version of Popeye the sailor man come to life. Their characterization (the 1980 Altman film) was more true to E.C. Segar’s original comics than the animated cartoons. Something I hope to capture.

Here I am casting the arms with foam-it, liquid plastic, body-double and plaster gauze from Smooth-On. I will then send these to send off to Luna’s Puppets; they will sculpt the forearms and finish them into custom made, one-of-a-kind silicone gloves complete with punched hair and tattoos.

And here is my hat. This took months (almost a year) of researching (you have no idea what I’ve learned about the Popeye character!) and this hat was actually found “in town” via a true haberdasher who knew exactly what it was: just have to add the black band.

So if yous a palooka what ain’t on the up and square looks out!
Hoping to unveil him sometime in the fall.

You doos looks a tad like him fella. I can imagine that after a day at a convention though, talking and walking like him you'd be in a pretty bad way!!! Should be excellent fun though. Look forward to following this.

Two more pictures of me in the now finished hat, with the pipe, and a video...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a cool idea! I cant wait to see the arms lol... also, Might I suggest a crushed can as a prop? Crushed with the top popped openand some spinach hanging out?

Ha! That's awesome!

This is a cool idea! I cant wait to see the arms lol... also, Might I suggest a crushed can as a prop? Crushed with the top popped openand some spinach hanging out?

Thanks guys!

panterateama, the only thing is the Popeye I'm doing is the "doesn't like Spinach" Popeye from the comics and Robert Altman film (and comics). Not the cartoons in other words.

I'm placing "mine" as before the 1980 film took place... so no Olive Oyl, or Sweet Pea. And I'm still looking for my Pappy... so I haven't tried spinach again yet. ;)

And yes, I realize I'll be explaining that to 99.999% of the people all the time. LOL

lmao! fair enough, sorry to derail but thought it would be a neat prop. So I assume then that the arms are still going to be big but not cartoony big?

lmao! fair enough, sorry to derail but thought it would be a neat prop. So I assume then that the arms are still going to be big but not cartoony big?
:D

Yes, much like this...

(just no Olive next to me) ;)

They'll have punched hair and all. (had I said that?)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back