Kialna's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Smaug the Magnificent

Re: The Hobbit - Smaug the magnificent [Human form]

I already started with patterns and redoing the scalemail.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389997449.887228.jpg

This honestly looks amazing. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Fantastic idea :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067525.636628.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067547.769720.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067583.912455.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067633.951234.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067683.005045.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067713.205802.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067733.358521.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067758.298178.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390067798.743250.jpg

Some work I did today, including new sketches with how-to ideas. And a sketch of how the design would look like when finished if everything goes according to plan.

Kialna - would you mind giving us readers some tips on the scale mail? Especially how you dealt with the decreases to make the shape you needed. Thanks!

Ah yes, I read you were having trouble with it.

Well, I bought the instructions from theringlord.com and followed those. The basis of scalemail is working towards the right, so they say. You start with 'squares' which consist of four scales and 8 rings (I think). And the one on the top is the 'lowest'. This is your starting scale. Then you add one scale on the left side and make sure the ring is on the right side of the scale. Then you add in the right scale, and connect this one to the top one too, with the ring on the left side of the scale. Now you have three scales connected to each other. Now comes the hard part if it's the first square. The last one lays on the top, in between the two side-scales, parallel to the first one in a vertical way. You connect the scale with both left and right with rings. Now you should have a square. And then you keep adding and adding.

Some people want to create squares and connect those. I found myself comfortable with just going along. Then I made patterns for what I actually wanted to cover. (I had a mannequin and marked where the breastplate covers the shirt). I cut those out and started weaving (?) my scalemail on top of that. Added and left out where needed. I will sew it to the shirt manually later.

There are some pictures of the start in the beginning of the thread. Also; use pliers.

this is coming along great, i cant wait to see how that dragon head turns out!(; also, about the hand mold/cast you made, it looks like it was made from something simple and cheap, am i right? i always wanted to do some arm/hand work but i dont feel like going through all the expensive silicone work for those. If you wouldnt mind, i'd love to hear how you went about making it and with what materials :)
keep up the good work, also nice sketches!

I am sorry to disappoint you, it's just expensive silicone and fibreglass + resin.

The handcast was made with plaster and the sculpting of the claws with oil-based clay. So yeah, I'm sorry, it's still the expensive work.

I finished the hard shell of one hand. This went rather well! One down, one to go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390160111.975473.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390160090.247858.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390160146.496464.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wait are you saying the the clawed hands are molded with silicone and fiberglass, your hands molded with silicone and fiberglass, or both? Or did you use plaster to mold the hand, then cast in plaster of paris? I can see that the clawed hand mold is silicone and fiberglass so I'm sorry if i sound dumb, im just trying to make sure there's not a misunderstanding here!

I am saying that I made a mold of my arm with plaster, filled that with plaster and got a plaster cast of my arm. Which I used to create a clawed hand.

Then I molded it with silicone and fibreglass. :)

I hope it's clear now?

So...

Since I have created a pattern (more or less) for the legs, I have been looking for fabric to sew it with. I will go with textured faux-leather (because of the price). And i have three kinds I liked.

boa%20rosso.jpg

Rosso

boa%20cabernet.jpg

Cabernet

boa%20mahogany.jpg

Mahogany

Personal preference is Cabernet or Rosso, considering the red scalemail (which will be weathered slightly)

I like the Rosso, only because it' looks like it will take weathering better and still retain that brighter red color to better match your scale mail.

Is that something you sourced locally, or is there an online shop you got swatches from?

I am not planning on weathering the faux-leather, but the scalemail. So the faux-leather stays as it is. Mostly.

It's online, click the links. I will look locally as well, but it's mainly a starting point. If they don't have anything like this locally, I can always order there.

I am not planning on weathering the faux-leather, but the scalemail. So the faux-leather stays as it is. Mostly.

It's online, click the links. I will look locally as well, but it's mainly a starting point. If they don't have anything like this locally, I can always order there.

thanks! Didn't even think to look for links in your post... /derp/ Filing that away for future use. :D

Even if you aren't planning on weathering the leather, I'd still vote for the Rosso. It's hard to tell without an actual swatch to look at, but it seems to photograph closer to your scalemail the way it looks in the link photos.

Keep up the great work!

We found a local dealer. It wasn't as nice as the fabrics I found online, but much much cheaper. We will have to weather it with shoe polish though. probably several coats.

And with the Euro Cosplay competition, I also needed an act. It may not exceed 90 seconds. So I fixed the audio file today, and also did a little video (which I won't publish, unless you REALLY REALLY Want to) to see how I get in character. It turns out I get in to character better than I thought, although people won't see my face. I need it for myself. :) acting!

https://soundcloud.com/kialna/animecon-smaug-conversation

:)

Working on it again. I made a new head pattern. I decided I'll make the skull from worbla. Sculpt on the details later. It's lighter and I may be able to figure out a way to see easier.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390644040.700987.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390644097.311529.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390644138.923778.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390644159.705587.jpg

And I learnt from my mistakes the last time and made a different parting line in the other hand.

Ok, big day of progress here! And a slight surpriseto myself...

iJCon5Kl.jpg

Base of the new head

vUGnYIdl.jpg

Detailing. I will keep this 'skull'

MWfehOol.jpg

TEETH!

rXhtIrPl.jpg

And this is where I surprised myself. Because I am generally not a good sculptor, I am surprised by the rough sketch I made. And as you can see, it makes a HUGE difference! This will be molded and cast with dragonskin as an overlay :)

Fi0pMm6l.jpg

Vg3KDwnl.jpg

yS8pttvl.jpg

vSYGKW6l.jpg

:) I'm satisfied with the new head so far.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back