Oblivion (2013) - Costume Found Object - ID The goggles, tactical gloves and boots?

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As much I hate to admit it, it's looking like most of the costumes were in fact scratch built,
based on "real world" items rather than modding off the rack items.

In case they weren't, has anyone IDed any of these:

The closest Glove design I have been able to find on ebay is:

Tactical Kevlar Combat Hard Knuckle Shooting Gloves Goat Skin Digital Leather | eBay

But the leather is a textured "digital" pattern which is completely wrong. The palm pattern seems close, but
none of the gloves I've seen use the same teardrop shape finger armor.

gloves.jpg

Haven't found any matches for the goggles...
UPDATE: Wiley-X SG-1

goggles.jpg

boot1.jpgboot2.jpgboot4.jpg

The base boot looks like a style mod, similar to how the boots in Starship Troopers were made,
with a leather overlay that covered all the original design marks. The tread "looks" like they used a
desert color boot and painted it gray.

UPDATE: Original SWAT, Classic 9"!

Anyone else have any luck?

Last edited:
Re: Oblivion - ID The goggles, gloves and boots?

Try here for the glasses: Search | Sunglasses ID

A quick search showed a few references to Oblivion but I didn't check them out. NM That link only has the aviators he wore in the pre war scenes.

They look like ballistics goggles. Try searching ESS Advancer Ballistic Goggles they look close but again not looking too hard.

Good luck.

Last edited:

I *KNEW* I recognized them. I was issued like 5 pair when we went to Iraq.

I can vouch for the Original SWATS. Only took one look to recognize the boots I wore for the last 5 year's of active duty. The most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn. Super light and they last forever. They come in desert tan and black from USCavalry for around $80 if you use coupons.

Re: Oblivion - ID The goggles, tactical gloves and boots?

Definitely SWAT. The tread gives it away instantly. I've got about two or three pairs sitting in my closet right now.

Re: Oblivion - ID The goggles, tactical gloves and boots?

i have a pair of wiley-x sg1, creapy balistic googles... were part of mi airsoft equipment.

Re: Oblivion (2013) - Costume Found Object - ID The goggles, tactical gloves and boot

Jack's Ballcap is a fitted, navy NY Yankee's " '47 Franchise" ballcap.

Amazon.com: New York Yankees Navy Franchise Fitted Slouch Hat: Sports & Outdoors

It has the white (now gray due to weathering) NY logo on the front. The rear DOES
have the Yankee's script logo, but it has been subdued to make it blend in with the
overall color of the cap.

NOTE: Although the picture on Amazon doesn't show it, this hat has a small " '47 " stitched on the side.
It took me about 15 minutes with a sharp x-acto blade to carefully remove the stitching.

The hat is soft, already "broken in" like a good pair of jeans. All you need to do is weather the front "NY"
and subdue the rear "Yankees" script stitching.

hat-rear.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Oblivion (2013) - Costume Found Object - ID The goggles, tactical gloves and boot

The buckles on the holster are "APEX DUAL SIDE RELEASE BUCKLE". They are available in black but were
painted for the film I believe. I also believe they are the 1" strap size.

Available here, about halfway down the page:

plastic fasteners

Thanks everyone, for your efforts in nailing down the accessories!

Just picked up a ball cap; actually ordered two, a Large and an X-Large, since I was unsure on my size. I wear Flex-Fit ball caps but my flex-fit hat size is "L-XL."

I thought that the NY Yankees hat was going to be flex-fit style with the slight elastic give in the sizing, but it isn't.

The Yankees hats are "fitted" and don't have any elastic. Just thought I'd mention it if anyone else is considering one and is unsure on size. I normally wear a Size 59 in hats and the large Yankees hat fits me snug. The X-Large is loose.

Here's my hat out of the box! The natural "pre-distressing" from the factory is perfect. Looks "worn" but not ravaged like an Abercrombie cap!

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

I'll post more after I "gray down" the lettering.

Thanks again!

Michael

BTW, Skint, Thanks for the sage green boot pic! That looks closer to the grayish/white than the tan.

Grayed out the lettering! The gray lettering looks much more subdued in real life. My iPhone camera thought it was improving the image by providing more contrast to the letters!

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0534-1.jpg

Russ, I have yet to remove the "'47" logo. After the embroidery was removed, was there any damage left behind from the stitching?

Thanks!

Michael

I didn't have any damage when I removed my 47. I used a new, sharp x-acto
blade. I cut the stitches on both the inside and outside of the hat. you have to go slow to avoid damaging the hat.

What did you use to gray the lettering?

True, but "I believe" that the Jack 49/52 fight shows the bottom of the boot
with what looks like gray paint worn off the tan rubber sole.

I believe there's also one or two other scenes where you see the side of the sole and the
rubber is tan at the bottom and a weathered gray the closer you get away from the boot lugs.

I ALMOST bought the sage boot myself, but decided to go tan and eventually paint it.
The boot covers obscure the laces and grommets almost completely.

I didn't have any damage when I removed my 47. I used a new, sharp x-acto
blade. I cut the stitches on both the inside and outside of the hat. you have to go slow to avoid damaging the hat.

What did you use to gray the lettering?
Thanks for your reply about the stitching!

As for the gray lettering, I wish I could say I used some complicated multi-step process involving rare chemicals and mysterious techniques, but I didn't.

I simply painted the letters gray!!!:p Used "Americana" brand craft acrylic paint from Michaels. The color was called "Neutral Grey."

Regarding the Sage Boot pictured above, if you do a Google search for images of this boot, you'll see some "Real Life" photos of the boots taken by ebay sellers. In these pics, the Sage Boots are much more green and very much darker than shown in the "company" pic above. I agree with Russ that the movie boots were originally Tan.

Michael

Thanks for the paint tip! I need to find a Navy Blue for the back stitching, or do a
black/gray combo. It's really much more subdued in the film than the front gray color.

Did you paint it from the stitched outside only, or the in AND outside?

Going to do some more looking at screen caps and see if I can nail down the boot cover pattern.

Thanks for the paint info!

Anyone know if the furniture was completely custom? Trying to identify the bedframe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back