- Naphaniel Holster

RiggsMcClane

I recently had a friend ask me to do a handful of Dredd related items for his Dragon Con costume.

One of the first things I planned to tackle was the Lawgiver holster. I wanted to get close to screen accurate but not be overly picky about it. I dug up the appropriate reference and my friend sent a few items over for reference. When I started I hadn't really thought to use the site for insight into what needed to be done. Later, when I had, I was pleasantly surprised that I was on track with other builds. I created templates by wrapping the Lawgiver in tracing paper and sketching out the basic shapes. I then took it to poster boards and used those for cutting.

plastictemplate_zpsba65e518.jpg

Adding to that I shaped a wood base with apoxie sculpt details along the ridge. This helped a lot in forming the plastic.

gunwood_zps6dfb3148.jpg

After heating, forming, and a few burnt fingers I had gotten fairly close to the screen look. It's worth noting that I forgot to get pics of the final trimmed holsters and this is the reason for the overlap you see along the guns edge and barrel.

holster_zps99592879.jpg

holstercompare_zps4c4fe658.jpg

Next up will be the rear clip holsters. Hope you guys approve and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Re: Dredd 3D Items - Holster

Thanks for sharing your build. I too made a buck to mold the holster shape for the gun sight recess. I don't plan on selling mine, but maybe you will...it's pretty much the only simple way to make these even for a one off. By the way, I noticed that some pictures show a slightly differing teardrop shape to the forward sight bulge, which is either due to a differing set of mold bucks or irregularities in molding the pieces. So precision is not an issue. I added a feature to mine which probably didn't exist for the movie props. I lined the inside with a black velour material to prevent damaging or scuffing the Lawgiver paint job. I was concerned that the in and out of the hard plastic of the holster would abrade the paint.

sweet ! If you have made the mould, I suppose you plan to sell more of these :)

The holsters just a one off at the moment but I'm sure I could make a couple more if there were some interest. I do have a couple smaller dredd items I plan to sell at some point. They'll be posted here in the coming days.

Thanks for sharing your build. I too made a buck to mold the holster shape for the gun sight recess. I don't plan on selling mine, but maybe you will...it's pretty much the only simple way to make these even for a one off. By the way, I noticed that some pictures show a slightly differing teardrop shape to the forward sight bulge, which is either due to a differing set of mold bucks or irregularities in molding the pieces. So precision is not an issue. I added a feature to mine which probably didn't exist for the movie props. I lined the inside with a black velour material to prevent damaging or scuffing the Lawgiver paint job. I was concerned that the in and out of the hard plastic of the holster would abrade the paint.

I actually ended up sanding the inside of the two holsters with plans to add felt so the gun wouldn't scrape. It's definitely an issue if you don't. I hadn't really noticed the differences in the sight shapes but I did notice some variations in the cradle along the barrel. I know the sdcc holster is suppose to be Dredds but I can't help wonder if it was borrowed from another judge. Some slight differences there, to me at least.

holsterdiff_zps70c30f22.jpg

Looks great! Same here, I'd be interested in a holster if you decided to do a run!

The holsters just a one off at the moment but I'm sure I could make a couple more if there were some interest. I do have a couple smaller dredd items I plan to sell at some point. They'll be posted here in the coming days.

Yay ! I'm currently trying to make one but yours is better than anything I could come up with, if the price is fair count me in :)

Re: Dredd 3D Items - Clip Holsters

For the next Dredd item on the list I tackled the clip holsters for the costume. Below are the screen used.

url2_zps760b036c.jpg

mags_zps7850a747.jpg

The clip holsters were done very similarly to the gun. Again I created a template and wood base.

clipholsterjig_zpsfafa70ad.jpg

Everything was cut out, shaped, and sanded to match. The most frustrating part of the build was finding the screen accurate bits that held the holsters to the belt loop. These were also one of the more time consuming parts to make because they had to be adjusted and readjusted to fit together properly. One thing I omitted was the third hole in each clip. It didn't seem to server a purpose so I left it out.

clipholstersall_zpsf3f91caf.jpg

clipholster_zps3b5af3ed.jpg

All and all I'm pretty happy with how close they came to the screen worn versions. Thanks for looking guys.

Boy, you aren't wasting any time with these are you? Those turned out great too!

Brian

20130518_143355.jpg20130519_151627.jpg

Great minds and all that :D

I've made about eight holsters using this buck, and I highly recommend the process to anyone thinking of doing their own. With some thick gloves and some camp foam you can get good detail.

As for the slipping issues, word from Michael van Kesteren is that the holsters were both clad and lined with 1.5 oz leather, with the suede showing on the inside. Having done this myself, I've found there are no issues with slipping or scraping once it's installed.
20130531_140234.jpg20130523_162524.jpg465354_149958598516820_2027468859_o.jpg

Looks like you got the details down almost exactly, about the only improvements to make would be including the recess for the screen (Can't see if you did that), enlarging the opening for the barrel, and some tiny adjustments to angles on the thigh-side, as seen on the SDCC stunt holster below.

dscf1551_zps99943022.jpgdscf1491_zps958cf14c.jpg

I wouldn't worry on the fit of the LG in the SDCC holster btw, it was a stunt holster, not a hero. The retainer strap was set so high the LG couldn't rest properly.

GREAT work on the mag holsters! They look spot on!

Last edited:

View attachment 218206

I noticed in this image, it appears almost as if the spine "bulges" here were formed as different pieces from the main body and then attached. You can see the seam between them and the main shell.

I'm thinking of trying this for the next round, as it will create a much sharper detail.

Nice shots of the holster. At the time I was mostly using screen grabs from the dvd for the build. I did notice the recess for the LG display window but left it out since it would likely cause a hang up when removing the gun. The one thing I had no shots of was the port for the gun barrel. I may need to amend that in later versions. Sadly, as I said above, I actually didn't get finished pics of the holsters. However, I did make a number of little adjustments before they were sent out that made them more screen accurate.

These played a fairly minor roll in the movie but to complete a full ensemble a Judge would need his handy zip cuffs. Since there were no shots of the inside mechanism I came up with one on my own. Below you can see the sculpted bits before they were cleaned up for molding and casting.

innerbox2_zps67daa491.jpg

I did a pour and test fit the parts.

zipboxfull_zpsdd78931f.jpg

The finished piece was cast black but still painted and sealed for a nice smooth finish. They actually work to a certain degree. The cuffs can open and close around the wrists fairly tightly. Once the tail is secured in it's holder they hold especially well for costuming purposes.

zipcuffsingle_zps5c1fe93c.jpg

Hope you guys like them. One more update to go.

Re: Dredd 3D Items - Zip Cuffs

Very nice!!! They look great!

Another piece (along with the Lawgiver holster) that I still don't have! ;)

I actually ended up sanding the inside of the two holsters with plans to add felt so the gun wouldn't scrape. It's definitely an issue if you don't. I hadn't really noticed the differences in the sight shapes but I did notice some variations in the cradle along the barrel. I know the sdcc holster is suppose to be Dredds but I can't help wonder if it was borrowed from another judge. Some slight differences there, to me at least.

View attachment 217811
Maybe it is just the lighting, but the lower sight recess on the right hand photo seems to show a more oval rather than teardrop shape. Mine is a more oval shape. Not that it matters that much to me either way. A curious anomaly as with many props.

Very nice job on the mag holsters and zip cuffs. I'm guessing the holes on the original mag holsters that you omitted were left open after molding because the prop makers were either trying to save time and money or just found that they were not needed and left the fasteners out.

Re: Dredd 3D Items - Zip Cuffs

The very last Dredd related item on my list was a small but key piece of the movie. I just assumed the inhalers were a 3D print because I simply couldn't find one that looked like it. Luckily I dug up a standard inhaler rummaging through some old supplies. I figured some sort of conversion would work best but failed with my first attempt. It also wasnt very accurate. Instead I made a resin duplicate but really only ended up using the nozzle portion.

inhalersidebyside_zps10d42b57.jpg

The original inhaler became a base that I sanded down and resculpted it with apoxie sculpt. Certain things I made more pronounced but I think I got it pretty close. Close enough for me at least.

inhaler360_zps62a93cc3.jpg

The screen used Slo Mo Inhaler plus the effects version from the prop store.

inhalerscreenused_zpsd7bc60be.jpg

My final version painted more like the effects version. Grimy and used seems more fitting to me.

slomopaintedsmall_zps0f50ed80.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Dredd 3D Items - Slo Mo Inhaler

Wow, really great job and attention to detail!

Any chance you might make a few more of those inhalers?

Re: Dredd 3D Items - Slo Mo Inhaler

The inhaler is something I actually set out to offer once I was done. I'll likely do the same with the zip cuffs once I replenish my supplies. I also need to order more holster material but will likely do a much smaller run of those. Give me a day or so and I'll have some inhalers ready to go.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back