Leathernext Dredd Glove Mod: EL Sheet Install

2007brandony

One of my most stressful Dredd mods to date :cry
I do not have experience in basic electronics installation or am I in the regular habit of hacking up $100 pair of leather gloves.

Materials: Leathernext gloves, sharp exacto knife, E6000 glue, EL sheet, power source and a ton of nervous energy.

Surgically scored and peeled off the wrist com area

Traced and cut out screen shape

Getting ready to glue the EL sheet in.

DISCLAIMER:
Make sure you install with the proper EL side up! Waiting 5 minutes to test if it lights up and realizing it's installed the wrong way will cause immediate panic, profuse sweating and a repeated shrill cry of, "No, no, no, no, no!"

Thankfully, the glue had not completely set and was fairly easy to rub and peel off. I tucked the edges of the EL Sheet underneath the glove stitching and ran the wires inside the glove. I poked a hole on the opposite side and threaded the wires through.

Finally, I'm not throwing away that scrap of leather I removed. I've glued on a thin plastic backing (also cut to shape) and will be attaching it to the glove to act as a cover for the wristcom. I've got some mini rare earth magnets to help secure it when closed. Pics to come.

Brandon,

Excellent post, mod a big step, can I ask which set of leathernext gloves they are(gen 3 only ones available at this time which have a light carbon tear drop knuckle protection!). Yours appear to be 1st or 2nd gen ? many thanks Robbie

Excellent post, mod a big step, can I ask which set of leathernext gloves they are(gen 3 only ones available at this time which have a light carbon tear drop knuckle protection!). Yours appear to be 1st or 2nd gen ? many thanks Robbie

Hey Robbie thanks for checking my WIP out :)

My gloves maybe a 2nd gen. The knuckle bits are teardrop shaped, but silver/white. No extra left cuff (like version 1) on the gauntlet.

I bought them last month. When I tried to inquire which version these were, the response I got from Leathernext was: "newest version! Newest version!". Riiiiiight.

The prototype version 4 (?) is posted up on the Dragon Con Dredd Facebook page if you haven't seen it yet. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DreddCostumeGroup.DragonCon2013/permalink/517327681668812/

Very cool! Been thinking of different ways of handling the display...

Thanks for commenting!

After jumping in head first, THEN checking if there was any water in the modding pool... I can class this as a beginners mod.

Little tweaks such as taking a needle and thread to the hole I made on the inside of the glove and the aforementioned cover to the display is next.

I'm looking forward to the next chap who elevates this and puts in a live display.

What's it measure diagonally? I have an Idea (besides using my phone and a slide show...)

3 1/2" diagonally.
Looking forward to your mod.

Update:
Applied a graphic to the EL sheet.
I opted for a semi permanent solution and used a clear mailing label printed out of my laser printer as opposed to a clear acetate sheet (which I would have to figure out how to clear mount).

I've got the cover almost done too. Just need to attach the opposing magnets on it.

The print out may not be screen accurate, but boy do I love me some Ma Ma :)

Last edited:
Very nice build/mod. Do I understand that you are using a button cell to power this? If I may ask, what voltage, and did you obtain the button holder/controller from the same source?:confused

3 1/2" diagonally.

image_zpsd303a1d9.jpg

The print out may not be screen accurate, but boy do I love me some Ma Ma :)
Where can I get some photos/graphics like that to create an LCD display?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back