Toy Story Woody's "toy mode" sculpt - Questions about molding and materials.

Cleanmonk

Hello, I am planning on starting a project, but due to my experiences with molding, I am a little lost on where to begin.

The project I want to make is a accurate head sculpt of woody from toy story when he is in his "toy mode":
toy-story2-disneyscreencapscom-5462_zpscd74fcd6.jpg

Thinkway Toys in the past few years released their "Toy Story Collection" line, which are replicas of the toys from the films. they uses pixar's digital data from the movies to create the figures, but unfortunately for woody, they decided to pick a different expression than the one in his toy mode:
attachment.php

So I've decided to take it into my own hands to make a "toy mode" woody. I've recently obtained one of the lower ends woody dolls that thinkway made that uses the same mold as the tsc woody. I plan on molding the head, and putting clay into the mold so I can sculpt a correct expression. but yet I am stuck afterwards on making a hollow vinyl-like head from a clay sculpt. I would like to use vinyl, but as I've been researching, its seems expensive and unpractical for a small project. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated on substitute for vinyl, and a method for hollow molding.

Last edited:
Hello, I am planning on starting a project, but due to my experiences with molding, I am a little lost on where to begin.

The project I want to make is a accurate head sculpt of woody from toy story when he is in his "toy mode":
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/...ory2-disneyscreencapscom-5462_zpscd74fcd6.jpg
Thinkway Toys in the past few years released their "Toy Story Collection" line, which are replicas of the toys from the films. they uses pixar's digital data from the movies to create the figures, but unfortunately for woody, they decided to pick a different expression than the one in his toy mode:
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=216138&stc=1
So I've decided to take it into my own hands to make a "toy mode" woody. I've recently obtained one of the lower ends woody dolls that thinkway made that uses the same mold as the tsc woody. I plan on molding the head, and putting clay into the mold so I can sculpt a correct expression. but yet I am stuck afterwards on making a hollow vinyl-like head from a clay sculpt. I would like to use vinyl, but as I've been researching, its seems expensive and unpractical for a small project. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated on substitute for vinyl, and a method for hollow molding.

What I'm doing with my woody doll is sanding and sculpting over the mouth, chin, eyes , and eyebrows and painting it to make it accurate. Then I will mold it if I feel like it and would cast it in a stiff plastic.

If you're trying to make it hollow then you could slush cast the inside by rolling the mold around in a few layers of plastic.

That's what I would do, I hope it's helpful. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back